First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 29, 2013

I hope they get rid of you asap.

And I wish snake would still be in this forum. You two would really hit it off.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 29, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

it's not easy to evaluate...you should post unprocessed raw at ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400, side by side with one among nx20/200/210/1000

You know that with none of my recent camera's I ever did any side by side comparison that I did publish anywhere, but what I typically do is checking how far I can  push ISO performance by try and error with scenes I shot before. That is why I do believe that I can push the NX300 up to ISO6400 so 2/3 stop improvement to the NX20 I would guess that max out at ISO4000 for me.

Reason for not that many photos to share is twofold

a) the ones I did on Wednesday require (as being shot RAW) the RC LR4.4 and I did download that only yesterday so the ones I did share are all in camera raw conversion showing the performance of the onboard jpeg engine onyl (!) and I would say that different to before NX10/100/200/1000/20 that I did own or still own, this engine here is really usable up to all ISO levels that LR might be able to deal with. I am not yet able to compare onboard JPEG conversion with the LR4.4 as stated above.  So before sharing any of those let me first play with the RAWs carefully

b) lot of those images are private for the dance company I did the shooting for hence I will first review those with them before they release any. Reason is that at least few shall accompany some newpaper article. Right now I am relaxing with my girl friend, so better things to do 

The screen as such has some added space but that (on the left) is used to access some direct touch function as e.g. the AF management and some WiFi. So the image as such looks better on the NX300, means a bit more realistic compared to the NX200 especially, where the AMOLED seemed to oversaturate and you often had some disappointment coming when you watched the images later.

Comparing especially the AF its not an easy thing.

Reason is simple, as indicated before, because the AF performance depends heavily on lens you attach. So I do believe that the NX300 AF outperforms e.g. the 85, the 20-50 by far (and I cannot think of any good reason to bundle the NX300 with that lens !!!! as it is clearly a minus when reviewed when AF Performance is tested). The 45mm and the 18-55 work fine regards the AF, especially the 2D 45mm seems to be ok. I did not yet attached the other pancakes or the 60mm... so cannot tell but based on experience I would see the 30mm being already outperformed on the NX20 regards AF, that it won't be better on the NX300. I would expect the 20 and 16mm pancakes to be able to benefit from the AF speed. Nevertheless the tracking AF and the touchscreen AF is huge improvement and I got already used to it.

The touch screen allows a pretty fast AF selection and I was able to use the tracking AF (activate via touch screen) as well as the AF-C from previous implementation... I have not yet fully determined the differences but I was able to shoot three consecutive RAWs with focus followed with the 85mm

I did buy a Nikon V1 recently on a firesale here and compared to that the pure AF seems to be on par, where the "1" is better still is on firing consecutive shots.

I cannot compare it to e.g. NEX or OM but when I tried the NEX6 at Photokina 2012 was not impressed so just my 2cent (Eurocent :-D)... this implementation is better compared to the OM-D... I would still see the Olympus at the top but I would wait for some better comparison.

All in All it

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 29, 2013

Can you tell me, does the nx300 have external microphone jack?

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Mar 29, 2013

chrisrabe wrote:

Not according to the user manual.  It shows only an HDMI port and a "USB and shutter release port".   However there is an optional external microphone EM10 that mounts in the hotshoe.  (same as for NX210, NX1000 and NX20).   Adorama have it listed for US$117.95 (ouch!).

chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 29, 2013

Coldamus wrote:

chrisrabe wrote:

Not according to the user manual.  It shows only an HDMI port and a "USB and shutter release port".   However there is an optional external microphone EM10 that mounts in the hotshoe.  (same as for NX210, NX1000 and NX20).   Adorama have it listed for US$117.95 (ouch!).

Yes, the price is very high indeed.

That, along with poor availability, is why I was wondering if I could use another microphone.

Am sure I saw mentioned that the nx210 had mic input, so it's a bit disappointing this doesn't. Oh well

Thanks for answering.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,377Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 29, 2013

Read the reviews though that would be a problem if you don't believe them. Can you believe the answers you get here? If you are after a square camera Canon do one, most are rectangular.

The Lens will definitely be round. The ISO and strap will be high.

I hope my replies are as fatuous as your questions.

Knallberto wrote:

Is camera square? Is lens round? Is ISO high? Is camera strap long? ....

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

thanks tjobbe. how is the exposure btw? there was an image comparison between the NX200 and NX300 shooting the same scene where the NX300 exposed brighter than the NX200 at the same aperture, shutter and ISO using the same lens. by my estimation the exposure difference is about half or 2/3 stop.

anyway, I somehow agree with you with regards to the NEX-6 AF where I find the AF focusing speed not impressive at all in comparison with other mirrorless which performed better. I was pretty surprised about dpr's assessment that the AF is good or not bad at all for a mirrorless despite the fact the it doesn't appear to be even at par with the faster ones. in my opinion, the NEX-6 was no better than most mirrorless with CDAF which bring it's PDAF introduction rather empty or didn't deliver despite the promise that it could make things faster.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 29, 2013

Ouuuhh, thanx! All things I didn't know. My favorites are HelloKittyCams. Pink. With 6mp, more nobody needs.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 29, 2013

For under $99 you get EXCELLENT extern mics - usable with EACH camera, 10x more features like such sea robbery mics.

tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Mar 29, 2013

Rgds Mic: there is no common jack for a standard Mic but as it was with the NX210/NX20/NX1000 the NX300 as well has a the option to mount the EM10 via Hotshoe so not sure where you misread the external microphone by interpreting that it has a dedicated mic jack i

Ariston wrote:

thanks tjobbe. how is the exposure btw? there was an image comparison between the NX200 and NX300 shooting the same scene where the NX300 exposed brighter than the NX200 at the same aperture, shutter and ISO using the same lens. by my estimation the exposure difference is about half or 2/3 stop.

Haven't tried that as I leave that to more academic dicussions here some shots from today trying to check the higher ISO values with OOC JPEG. I used VIVID and NR set to low with no further optimization made

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
tjobbe
Like?

OOC JPEG with VIVID and NR Low

Size reduced for another forum with limited space

tjobbe
Like?

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?

I'm astonished by iso8000....looks better than iso3200 on nx200...

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tjobbe
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

Recall that this is in camera JPEG !!!! I did not process ANY raw image yet other than converting a RAW file within the NX300 with the onboard raw tools. These above are all OOC JEPG

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Recall that this is in camera JPEG !!!! I did not process ANY raw image yet other than converting a RAW file within the NX300 with the onboard raw tools. These above are all OOC JEPG

Its all looking really encouraging, the iso8000 is totally useable. thanks for the efforts, got any higher iso pics? cheeky i know.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

fake !

tjobbe
Like?

Ariston wrote:

fake !

me2 

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?

What do you mean?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tjobbe
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

What do you mean?

he means that no Samsung camera will ever be able to shoot usable OOC JPEG at ISO8000 hence this is a fake....

So am I

forgot the smilies 

tjobbe
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Mar 29, 2013

chrisrabe wrote

Can you tell us though, can you charge the BP1030 in camera on over USB?

It would be great to not have to carry charger around if taking NX1000 as spare on holiday.

to answer that one: I am currently charging a 3rd party battery i bought for the NX200 being BP1030 compliant via USB in the NX300 so my answer is YES

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads