First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Gear list
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
In reply to viking79, Mar 28, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Also, could it be that you have to be in a JPEG mode (maybe try RAW+) to get focus peaking?  This wouldn't make sense, as I would guess it uses the video stream, but just checking.

Eric

switching back to RAW afterwards was ok. It seems that there is an initial state that disabled peaking config first time only as the other german user trying had a similar first time experience

Cheers, Tjobbe

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Mar 28, 2013

Ariston wrote:

thanks. did you update the firmware? or you haven't yet?

not yet, the version is the same being v1.0 called initial release as well on the website

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 28, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

not very clear...you mean that it has to be on SF and not Raw to use peaking with legacy lenses?

no, what I mean is that there is obviously some bug in the initial Firmware that at first usage with  a non-NX lens does not allow the peaking to be configured (and hence it cannot be used) and with some "playing around" in the menue the option was suddenly accessible and with that the peaking was working.

It is now (detached/attached different lenses in the meantime) working as expected with both NX system lens and manual legacy ones via adapter

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 28, 2013

tjobbe wrote:

Ariston wrote:

not yet, the version is the same being v1.0 called initial release as well on the website

overwriting might help.besides, there's no telling if some other updates were include despite the version number being similar.

anyway, where are the photos?

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?

Ouuuuhhh, I NEVER use/need such time consuming nonsens. If someone & his camera CAN make photos he doesn't need it!

Photography is fun, but not taking a picture within 1/250 sec and then silly working 10 minutes to make it (haha) "better".

Knallberto
Like?

Each one has his priorities. I like handling of NEX7, small size, very good EVF, tiltable display, excellent IQ ... aaaand use of 50 lenses.

NEX5, NX100, NX1000 ... are TOYs ... they have nooo viewer

tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 28, 2013

Full image converted RAW in CAMERA with standard options and  reduced in size for another forum

a 100% snippet of that same image with RAW/JPEG and reduced size in LR

in camera RAW converted with "auto optimize" Feature there, LR used to shrink it

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?

it's not easy to evaluate...you should post unprocessed raw at ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400, side by side with one among nx20/200/210/1000

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
ChuckTa
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

Each one has his priorities. I like handling of NEX7, small size, very good EVF, tiltable display, excellent IQ ... aaaand use of 50 lenses.

NEX5, NX100, NX1000 ... are TOYs ... they have nooo viewer

Interesting, I also have both Samsung NX200 and Nex 5. And I have over 50 legacy lens. I really like the flip LCD on the Nex, but I keep going back to the Samsung for its picture quality. And every time I finish using the Samsung and go back to the Nex, I just can't stand the Sony user interface (when do those Sony engineers learn their software engineering)

Anyways, to me picture quality is top priority and I now use Samsung much much more than the Nex.  My opinion is the Samsung has better color and resolution. I really like the NX200 output more with my legacy lens. So even if Nex 5 has peaking and flip lcd, and I still use the NX200 more.

When I get the NX300, the Nex 5 wiill be really collecting dust.

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

Very good iso performance. I wish NX300 has viewfinder or viewfinder option

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,455Gear list
Like?

Ariston wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

Ariston wrote:

overwriting might help.besides, there's no telling if some other updates were include despite the version number being similar.

anyway, where are the photos?

He is too busy answering our inquiries.  tjobbe, ignore all the questions here and go out and shoot

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Knallberto
Like?
In reply to ChuckTa, Mar 28, 2013

NEX5 is muuuuch older than NEX7

And there is a lot of differences in their sensors. I like my NEX7 

Knallberto
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300

Yeeees, if he has fun with NX300 all is okay ... I think a lot of questions are like

"How many screws NX300 has on bottom?"

"Has NX300 a round hole for lens connection"?

"How are photos in near darkness with 125.000 ISO"?

Knallberto
Like?
Price NX300 goes down, down, down

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
still not understanding RAW

Knallberto wrote:

Photography is fun, but not taking a picture within 1/250 sec and then silly working 10 minutes to make it (haha) "better".

just because YOU need 10 minutes to move 2 sliders doesn't mean that others are also that slow.

you're probably one of those wannabe "purists" who don't want any kind of post processing, not realizing that your camera's jpeg engine does exactly the same thing, but doesn't give you the same freedom, quality - or possibilities e.g. when it comes to dynamic range, highlight&shadow recovery or digital filters

plus: lots of camera jpeg engines suck at chroma noise handling. I wonder how you want to cope with that, just with your famous, magic "skill".

omg

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?
Re: Price NX300 goes down, down, down

wow, this is good and is in Italy....I should seriously think about getting it...is he a serious seller?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

Ouuuuhhh, I NEVER use/need such time consuming nonsens. If someone & his camera CAN make photos he doesn't need it!

by the way, taking my last picture took me 2 hours

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
sj2
sj2
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

Thanks for your reports/feedback. I wish DPReview would simply buy a unit and post a review. I mean American car-makers do not like TopGear's review of their cars sometimes and have tried to stone-wall TopGear. What did they do? Bought cars off a regular dealership and ran their tests.

Can you please post any comparison you may have been able to do on AF speed with other cameras you own?

Thanks!

Photoon
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to sj2, Mar 28, 2013

Why do I get the feeling he doesn't actually have the camera? After all, how hard is it to snap 10 pictures and post them here? Not sayin, just sayin.

dka91
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoon, Mar 28, 2013

You see, these are the kinds of posts which put people off from giving us info.

The guy has unselfishly been answering all our questions and spending valuable time giving us information (when he does not have to) yet people cannot help but have digs.

Btw he posted a couple of pictures in some of the comments at ISO 3200, looking good if I say so myself, and the exif data says it is a Samsung NX300.

The NX300 is looking good, only slight dissappointment is with this focus peaking issue? I hope Samsung recognise it and iron it out seeing as it is something they could quite readily correct with an update.

Thanks tjobbe!

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads