First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for clarifying. It would have been an "own goal" to not allow focus peaking on legacy lenses when competitors can do it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 28, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

Is the brown camera with 20-50mm available with that discount? Where?

sorry, it was a special discount for me alone. but it's pointless since I never got it due to unavailability as of the moment (supposedly). not sure since I have no idea what they have in Korea's market.

ChuckTa
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Mar 28, 2013

No kidding, man. I was looking at my boxes of legacy lens. A bit of tears almost roll off at the corner of my eyes. 

Thank god it was clarified.

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?

Several Italian shops are offering on preorder the 20-50mm version (both black and white) at about 600-650€. What about the price in other European countries?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tecnoworld
Like?

thank you for your reply!

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, Mar 28, 2013

ET2 wrote:

Ariston wrote:

monkeybrain wrote:

Nice! Hope you enjoy your new camera. Obviously lots of requests in the thread, hope you don't mind me adding to them by asking for some shots that really test out the dynamic range.

Also, can anyone explain the significance of the Linux OS on the camera? Will this give us any new options, apps, hacks etc?

Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Technically Linux is not OS, really, as most people understand OS.  Linux is just kernel. It's free  so almost everyone uses it (phones, cars, cameras, washing machines -- if they have a chip --, refrigerators , every router ever made). The manufacturer doesn't have to display "Open Source" notice if they are using just the Linux kernel.

The Linux kernel itself is by definition Open Source.  It is distributed under the GPL license, version 2 or later.  Attribution is one of the requirements of this license also, so usually you will see some kind of credits somewhere indicating that this is Linux and is GPL, giving you some way to find the information on who wrote this software.

How do you know that most cameras don't already run on some version of Linux kernel? Everyone already owns something that is running Linux Kernel -- even if they don't know it.

The Linux kernel will boot the computer, for example, but it will be black screen and no way to communicate with the computer. The computer would need other software without which the linux kernel itself is useless.

The kernel is a little more powerful than that - it can certainly produce information on your screen all by itself.

Richard Stallman is correct that it is unfair (in fact stupid) to call all "Linux" based operating system (like Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc ): "Linux". They should be called GNU/Linux because without the software provided by GNU the kernel by itself won't do crap. The kernel just controls the hardware at very low level. It does nothing else. Linus Torvalds could not have even compiled the first Linux kernel that he wrote in 1991 without GNU C compiler written by Richard Stallman a few years before in late 80s.

Android uses Linux kernel but most people would not recognize it  as "Linux" (when they actually mean is "Unix-like operating systems" i.e GNU/Linux) . Even though the kernel is Linux, Android is just Java apps running on dalvik virtual machine.  Some people (and this have been done) replaced the Linux kernel on Android phone with BSD kernel and the phone still behaves just like an Android phone.

"Linux" refers to the kernel.  "GNU/Linux" refers to one operating system which uses the Linux kernel and which includes GNU user interface and utilities, etcetera.  Ubuntu is one type or distribution of GNU/Linux.  Android is a non-GNU operating system which uses Linux (fairly heavily modified) as the kernel.

>Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Linux is just a kernel. And Linux kernel is not "small". It's a huge,  monolithic kernel.

The kernel can be customized to be small - it is after all open source.  And that is what is done in many mobile devices.  And these days it would be very questionable to assume that the Linux kernel is slow compared to other base operating software on mobile devices.  Still, "small" is relative - I agree that compared to some kernels, pretty much any incarnation of Linux would be considered huge.

Anyway, this is an interesting development!  Any specific kernel version reported, I wonder?

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Barker, Mar 28, 2013

Michael Barkowski wrote:

Anyway, this is an interesting development!  Any specific kernel version reported, I wonder?

not sure about it but if rumors are true it would be Tizen V2 so that the Kernel should be V3.0.

The reason for the TIZEN V2 would be the release of it in Feb this year and the usage of the new quad code CPU which I doubt was supported on V1

The Tizen OS as well explains the size of the NX300 firmware being 140Mb in size

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
tjobbe
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

Several Italian shops are offering on preorder the 20-50mm version (both black and white) at about 600-650€. What about the price in other European countries?

there is no 20-50 offered in Germany but the 18-55 only. I as well do not believe the 20-50 to be a good lens for the NX300 as to me it is the slowest performer regards AF in the NX line up and bundling that with the very fast AF the NX300 can handle seems to be a bad start for those reviewing the "smaller Kit".

As the 18-55 OiSIII, that got shipped with mine, now  no longer has that ugly stiffer Zoom from 40mm above, I am really happy mechanically with that one. Although I do believe it will still have the same tendency to produce flares when shot into sunlight.

Anyway.... I will try my 20-50 from the NX1000 Kit later to validate my above AF assumptions

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?

price for 20-50 is 123 €

haha, NX1000 WITH 20-50 is 259 € ... hmmm ... € 799 for NX300 is STOLEN MONEY

Knallberto
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 28, 2013

Samsung 50-200 is € 200, you also get NEX300 + 18-55 + 50-200 for € 799 (deliverable!),

so NX300 + 18-55 is reduced to € 599

Ariston
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

Samsung 50-200 is € 200, you also get NEX300 + 18-55 + 50-200 for € 799 (deliverable!),

so NX300 + 18-55 is reduced to € 599

NEX300? Samsung NX with Sony sensor?

tecnoworld
Like?

That's good if you don't own the 50-200 lens...but I own it already, ao I'm looking at those offers for about 600€ here in Italy, even if I'd prefer 100€ less, but without a lens, having already 2 20-50 lenses and several other nx lenses...

tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 28, 2013

Coldamus wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. It would have been an "own goal" to not allow focus peaking on legacy lenses when competitors can do it.

So, took the chance to mount one old OM Zuiko Lens to the NX300 and sorry to say

I cannot find any sign of colour for the peaking.

You can configure that on the Menue but the setup element for the "strength" is disable hence I believe it is not supposed to work when a non NX system lens is attached.

I will try to find out if there is any trich but the OK just activates as before the magnifier in the center of screen

Knallberto
Like?

Hehehehe, I have Samsung NX10,NX100,NX1000,GC100 aaaaand NEX5/NEX7

Aaaaall are excellent cameras, buuuut NEXes are the better ones, hohohoho.

tjobbe
Like?

I had the chance to attach an OM Zuiko via Adapter to the NX300 and I got a shock&awe when I hit OK first time

Nothing, no sign of peaking 

Having done Software QA for a long time ago I started systematically by changing settings that had nothing to do with Peaking  The technique know as "what the hell is the QA guy doing" or "press any key"

Two things to consider:

When you are not able to select the strength of the peaking/contrast you do not get ANY peaking. So how to get there ?

I did swap RAW to SF once and the menue item was suddenly selectable and with the actication of the magnifier on OK you as well get the contrast peaking !

So yes: it work but I would ask the developer to check his code and apply patch !!!!

Cheers, Tjobbe

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,774Gear list
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

See, I like both NEX and NX too, but prefer the NX.  I like NX for controls, focus points (can adjust size), and lenses.

Both have their merits though, and would be happy with either.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,774Gear list
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

I had the chance to attach an OM Zuiko via Adapter to the NX300 and I got a shock&awe when I hit OK first time

Having done Software QA for a long time ago I started systematically by changing settings that had nothing to do with Peaking  The technique know as "what the hell is the QA guy doing" or "press any key"

Two things to consider:

When you are not able to select the strength of the peaking/contrast you do not get ANY peaking. So how to get there ?

I did swap RAW to SF once and the menue item was suddenly selectable and with the actication of the magnifier on OK you as well get the contrast peaking !

So yes: it work but I would ask the developer to check his code and apply patch !!!!

Cheers, Tjobbe

I would start a new thread with this "NX300 Focus Peaking Bug" or something and mention what you do to fix it, and maybe developer will see it too

Also, could it be that you have to be in a JPEG mode (maybe try RAW+) to get focus peaking?  This wouldn't make sense, as I would guess it uses the video stream, but just checking.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ariston
Like?

Knallberto wrote:

does your NEXes come with SilkyPix converter? oh sorry, I meant Adobe Lightroom. wasn't paying attention with the Samsung that I love.

Ariston
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

Two things to consider:

Cheers, Tjobbe

thanks. did you update the firmware? or you haven't yet?

tecnoworld
Like?

not very clear...you mean that it has to be on SF and not Raw to use peaking with legacy lenses?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads