Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?
First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
Mar 27, 2013

So, the NX300 is here and unpacked and first shots made

Quick first impression:

-> handling of the new body is an improved compared to the NX200/NX210 as you can hold it more comfortably.

-> The battery of the NX200 works in the NX300 having same size, but the external NX200 charger does not work with the BP1130

-> The touch screen feels responsive and the touch AF is nice to work with, and it at least seems to be fast with the 18-55

-> the 18-55 although being Version III as the one that came with the NX20 is the first OiS Kit where I do not have that resistance on the zoom ring at 40mm focal length.

-> the ISO6400 OOC JPEG  shots with low Noise reduction setup in the FW look usable on the OLED Screen, but I haven't loaded them to my PC. At least the first impression in IQ is solid

-> Performance seems to be better, no huge delay, no "processing" although the preview image is staying on for a short while before you can reuse it after the 8fps

-> Raw file size is 27MB per image !!!!!

More to come

EDIT: the OS running on the NX300 seems to be some LINUX version as it displays some license terms for OpenSource so its most likely Tizen running on it as suspected.

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 27, 2013

Eagerly waiting for a side to side comparison among raw files coming from nx200 (or 1000,210,20) and those from nx300 at all the iso up to 3200.

Also, does the 8fps in raw locks the camera after shooting?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

Lucky you. Am still waiting eagerly for someone to have stock in UK - my F5 key is wearing thin.

Want this camera for my holidays

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Kaziklu
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?

Do you have live view while shooting at 8FPS? My biggest issue with the NX20 is that if you shoot in any Burst you a totally after you pull the trigger.

johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 27, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

Eagerly waiting for a side to side comparison among raw files coming from nx200 (or 1000,210,20) and those from nx300 at all the iso up to 3200.

Also, does the 8fps in raw locks the camera after shooting?

Yes, me too, especially the higher ISOs.  If the high-ISO noise is better, than I will sell my NX20 body and buy an NX300.  I will sacrifice the EVF for photo quality and portability.

Then, I will wait to see what the full-frame market brings next year...

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

thanks. when you say low noise reduction, does this mean that the NX300 already has 3 NR options rather than the single NR option of which intensity we don't know of? also, is the jpeg IQ good at 6400 even if NR is off?

what I find to be of real use is the touch AF feature which would be instrumental for single point focusing of moving subjects. it would increase productivity and make shooting and composing much easier and faster now. the AF tracking would also be fantastic for action photography.

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Mar 27, 2013

Ariston wrote:

thanks. when you say low noise reduction, does this mean that the NX300 already has 3 NR options rather than the single NR option of which intensity we don't know of? also, is the jpeg IQ good at 6400 even if NR is off?

About NR: yes, you do have three levels plus OFF. I haven't been able to review the output yet so let me check what I do have when I am at my PC to place a verdict

what I find to be of real use is the touch AF feature which would be instrumental for single point focusing of moving subjects. it would increase productivity and make shooting and composing much easier and faster now. the AF tracking would also be fantastic for action photography.

I was using Tracking AF today (although with the 12-24) and it tracks but its nothing compared to the V1 (which is impressiv) but I would rate the AF as usable, fast enough although I cannot compare it side by side. The AF-S is very fast outdoors especially with the touchAF&shoot but I need to get more used to it first. Its nice that you can control options as well on the touch screen in addition to the iFN and the direct access buttons.

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,768Gear list
Like?

Nice, 27 MB would mean they are compressing the RAW files.  That seems more inline with other manufacturers.  So based on my bit rates, I think the fastest memory card I could do in the NX20 was 17 MB/s, so it takes it from about 2 seconds per RAW file to ~1.5 seconds per RAW file, and that is without any improvement in write rate.

I think the writing has been improved too.  With your fastest memory card can you shoot a burst of RAW files and see how long it takes for the write light to turn off?  Use a computer to check how many  MB the burst was and calculate how many MB/s that is?  Depending on your memory card this could be limited by the card.  I find my Sandisk 95 MB/s card is definitely limited by the camera, but my class 10 Samsung is limited by the card.

Also, the NX20 once it hits a certain point can't write to the buffer again until it is empty.  Does the NX300 have this?  Like can you shoot a burst of 8, and then after a few seconds shoot 2 or 3 more shots?

Enjoy your camera!

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ariston
Like?

how about shutter lag and shutter delay? did you notice any? it would be nice if you can try the camera on fast moving subjects. also for lowlight AF. would you say that the AF-S is comparable to the V1 on normal shooting? atleast an approximation.

monkeybrain
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?

Nice! Hope you enjoy your new camera. Obviously lots of requests in the thread, hope you don't mind me adding to them by asking for some shots that really test out the dynamic range.

Also, can anyone explain the significance of the Linux OS on the camera? Will this give us any new options, apps, hacks etc?

monkeybrain's gear list:monkeybrain's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100
viking79
Like?
In reply to monkeybrain, Mar 27, 2013

monkeybrain wrote:

Nice! Hope you enjoy your new camera. Obviously lots of requests in the thread, hope you don't mind me adding to them by asking for some shots that really test out the dynamic range.

Also, can anyone explain the significance of the Linux OS on the camera? Will this give us any new options, apps, hacks etc?

I suppose more flexibility in the future.  As you say, Apps, etc.  Really doesn't matter.  Also makes it easier for them to come up with a common computing platform so they don't have to have as many systems too support.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ariston
Like?
In reply to monkeybrain, Mar 27, 2013

monkeybrain wrote:

Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster. it practically fully utilizes the camera's potential. it also, as mentioned opens up the camera for possible hacks or updates that would make the camera work better or perform certain tasks. e.g. magic lantern, video recording limit, shutterspeed,etc...

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,791Gear list
Like?

Ariston wrote:

monkeybrain wrote:

Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Technically Linux is not OS, really, as most people understand OS.  Linux is just kernel. It's free  so almost everyone uses it (phones, cars, cameras, washing machines -- if they have a chip --, refrigerators , every router ever made). The manufacturer doesn't have to display "Open Source" notice if they are using just the Linux kernel.

How do you know that most cameras don't already run on some version of Linux kernel? Everyone already owns something that is running Linux Kernel -- even if they don't know it.

The Linux kernel will boot the computer, for example, but it will be black screen and no way to communicate with the computer. The computer would need other software without which the linux kernel itself is useless.

Richard Stallman is correct that it is unfair (in fact stupid) to call all "Linux" based operating system (like Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc ): "Linux". They should be called GNU/Linux because without the software provided by GNU the kernel by itself won't do crap. The kernel just controls the hardware at very low level. It does nothing else. Linus Torvalds could not have even compiled the first Linux kernel that he wrote in 1991 without GNU C compiler written by Richard Stallman a few years before in late 80s.

Android uses Linux kernel but most people would not recognize it  as "Linux" (when they actually mean is "Unix-like operating systems" i.e GNU/Linux) . Even though the kernel is Linux, Android is just Java apps running on dalvik virtual machine.  Some people (and this have been done) replaced the Linux kernel on Android phone with BSD kernel and the phone still behaves just like an Android phone.

>Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Linux is just a kernel. And Linux kernel is not "small". It's a huge,  monolithic kernel.

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, Mar 27, 2013

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time, I love solid info like that.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?

Just wondering about the lowlight af? and also the low contrast af? also thanks for taking time out from your new camera.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Butoa
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 27, 2013

timedrun wrote:

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

Most people use the word word "Linux" to describe the operating systems like Ubuntu (based on debian), red hat and other variants, but they don't know the "Linux" part (though very very  important) is just the kernel that controls the hardware. The end user never interacts with the kernel itself. They interacts with other software  (almost all of which is provided by GNU).

viking79
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 27, 2013

timedrun wrote:

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter for end users what OS the camera has and have no idea why naming conventions of GNU/Linux made it into this thread, but whatever.

Samsung does it so they can make a common platform to run their software, where each new camera or whatever just have a few changes to the board support package and drivers for whatever hardware changes there are.  This keeps them from having to re-write the same software over and over again for each new product.

Companies are moving more and more to common computing platforms to minimize the number of platforms they have to support.

So a Linux kernel OS probably means that the software is larger and slower than a full custom OS.  The only thing I would worry about with Linux is the camera is going to have some bootup time associated with it like a phone has, the Galaxy Camera has this.

It might be that they are using open source software in their system that they have to display a license screen for that, do we even know for sure they are using a Linux kernel OS?  How long does the camera take to startup the first time?  Like 20 seconds, maybe Linux Edit: sounds like some embedded linux systems can boot on the order of 1 or 2 seconds, so still could be Linux I guess, but I think Galaxy Camera is around 20 or 30 seconds.

Eric

-- hide signature --

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,650
Like?

Ariston wrote:

monkeybrain wrote:

Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster. it practically fully utilizes the camera's potential. it also, as mentioned opens up the camera for possible hacks or updates that would make the camera work better or perform certain tasks. e.g. magic lantern, video recording limit, shutterspeed,etc...

Nope. Whether it's implemented in the CPU's machine code or using a higher level language program running under the camera's operating system, hacks (like CHDK) rely on intentionally designed back doors. This could be a button sequence on the camera, initiated either when powering the camera on or pressing button combinations while inside the menu system, or looking for a specific language file at power-on at a particular location on the camera's memory card. If such a back door is available, the hack could be written in either the CPU's machine language or a compiled or interpreted that's compatible with the OS, which could be linux or any other OS. Well, maybe not Windows, unless it's a really old, lightweight, stripped version such as Windows 3.x that I once had running on an old HP 200LX DOS based palmtop computer. Like many more recent P&S cameras, it ran on two alkaline or Ni-Cd AA batteries, which could last for up to about 40 hours. For this to work, your hackable camera would probably need to use an Intel compatible CPU.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to ET2, Mar 27, 2013

ET2 wrote:

Ariston wrote:

monkeybrain wrote:

Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Technically Linux is not OS, really, as most people understand OS.  Linux is just kernel. It's free  so almost everyone uses it (phones, cars, cameras, washing machines -- if they have a chip --, refrigerators , every router ever made). The manufacturer doesn't have to display "Open Source" notice if they are using just the Linux kernel.

How do you know that most cameras don't already run on some version of Linux kernel? Everyone already owns something that is running Linux Kernel -- even if they don't know it.

The Linux kernel will boot the computer, for example, but it will be black screen and no way to communicate with the computer. The computer would need other software without which the linux kernel itself is useless.

Richard Stallman is correct that it is unfair (in fact stupid) to call all "Linux" based operating system (like Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc ): "Linux". They should be called GNU/Linux because without the software provided by GNU the kernel by itself won't do crap. The kernel just controls the hardware at very low level. It does nothing else. Linus Torvalds could not have even compiled the first Linux kernel that he wrote in 1991 without GNU C compiler written by Richard Stallman a few years before in late 80s.

Android uses Linux kernel but most people would not recognize it  as "Linux" (when they actually mean is "Unix-like operating systems" i.e GNU/Linux) . Even though the kernel is Linux, Android is just Java apps running on dalvik virtual machine.  Some people (and this have been done) replaced the Linux kernel on Android phone with BSD kernel and the phone still behaves just like an Android phone.

>Linux OS, smaller, simpler, faster.

Linux is just a kernel. And Linux kernel is not "small". It's a huge,  monolithic kernel.

person was asking what is the significance of Linux O/S on the camera. also, I think you missed the part when we were talking about the Tizen O/S. there are several software platforms available, so it doesn't mean what you say a device is already running a Linux system nor is it huge in comparison with other platforms.  so this is not a debate or what Linux is, but what advantage it does for the camera.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to photoreddi, Mar 27, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Ariston wrote:

monkeybrain wrote:

Nope. Whether it's implemented in the CPU's machine code or using a higher level language program running under the camera's operating system, hacks (like CHDK) rely on intentionally designed back doors. This could be a button sequence on the camera, initiated either when powering the camera on or pressing button combinations while inside the menu system, or looking for a specific language file at power-on at a particular location on the camera's memory card. If such a back door is available, the hack could be written in either the CPU's machine language or a compiled or interpreted that's compatible with the OS, which could be linux or any other OS. Well, maybe not Windows, unless it's a really old, lightweight, stripped version such as Windows 3.x that I once had running on an old HP 200LX DOS based palmtop computer. Like many more recent P&S cameras, it ran on two alkaline or Ni-Cd AA batteries, which could last for up to about 40 hours. For this to work, your hackable camera would probably need to use an Intel compatible CPU.

actually there is a backdoor with the NX cameras, although Samsung decided to disable the one on the newer NX cameras with their recent firmware updates. using an open-source software rather than propriety would open the possibility of using 3rd party mods.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads