Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,013Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?
In reply to zkz5, Mar 29, 2013

Love 2, 3, and 5. Really nice. And 2 was a challenge winner, wasn't it? Great job!

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Randell Tober
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: For me yes...for you?
In reply to sigala1, Mar 29, 2013

True.. However there's more than mountains in and around Glacier . When you're dealing with  F2 it gives you crystal clear- much more room for error and takes a lot of the guessing out does it not? At least it always seemed that way to me. Almost every photo I took with my 24x70 2.8 came out just how I wanted it-exsposure wise- even on the auto set.  I'm of course a novice-at times amateur, but definately NOT a professional

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 29, 2013

It's hard to say. I got some nice video with 12mm f2.  But I am curious about slr magic 12mm T1.6, that can collect more light than 12mm f2 (but no AF).  I might sell 12mm f2 to get 12mm T1.6.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
In reply to RealPancho, Mar 29, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

Love 2, 3, and 5. Really nice. And 2 was a challenge winner, wasn't it? Great job!

-- hide signature --

Frank

Thanks! Yes, 2 won a few months ago.

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Hold it right there, pardner
In reply to G1Houston, Mar 29, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

texinwien wrote:

You're leaving out the SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm t/1.6. As long as the OP doesn't need AF at this short focal length, this lens is faster and cheaper than the Oly. It's also gotten some good reviews, and I believe it's also made out of metal.

Add that as another cheaper choice if AF isn't required.

tex

Yeah, but considering that the SLR lens is >$500, it is a lot of money for a MF only lens.  It is a truly special purpose lens.

Have you seen the prices for the Voigtländer and Schneider Kreuzbach lenses? They're manual focus and make the SLR Magic lens look downright cheap

Short focal lengths are where manual focus is easier, anyway - thus the zone focus feature on the Olympus 12mm. Not too hard to get everything into focus with a 12mm lens.

OK, I'll admit - it's a specialty lens, but I think it's worth a look if you're already thinking about dropping $800 on the Oly.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,360Gear list
Like?
In reply to Extract0r, Mar 30, 2013

Extract0r wrote:

I found 12mm FOV to be too wide for general purposes.  You need to get uncomfortably close to a subject in order to fill the frame.  Also, it tends to distort faces away from the center of the frame.

I ended up selling it and getting the 17mm F/1.8 instead.

I think Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is a better value if you are willing to spend $700+ for a lens.  You only lose 1 stop yet a much more versatile lens for any given situation.

I couldn't agree more. I considered the 12mm, but based upon reviews and my shooting style, I opted for the panny 12-35mm, which I am incredibly impressed with.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
texinwien
Like?
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 30, 2013

Randell Tober wrote:

True.. However there's more than mountains in and around Glacier . When you're dealing with  F2 it gives you crystal clear-

Why would this be the case?

much more room for error and takes a lot of the guessing out does it not?

What are you talking about here? Why would f/2 take the guessing out?

At least it always seemed that way to me. Almost every photo I took with my 24x70 2.8 came out just how I wanted it-exsposure wise- even on the auto set.

Do you have any idea of the mechanism in play? I mean, why do you think using f/2 would lead to these results moreso than using another f-number?

I'm of course a novice-at times amateur, but definately NOT a professional

It sounds like you might not be clear about some of the basic principles of photography.

tex

Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
texinwien
Like?
In reply to Jun2, Mar 30, 2013

Jun2 wrote:

It's hard to say. I got some nice video with 12mm f2.  But I am curious about slr magic 12mm T1.6, that can collect more light than 12mm f2 (but no AF).  I might sell 12mm f2 to get 12mm T1.6.

If you do, make sure you come back here, share some photos and give us a user report. I'm interested in this lens as an alternative to the Olympus 12mm, as well.

tex

Randell Tober
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to texinwien, Mar 30, 2013

Hi Tex,

What I was referring to was there's moving water- sometimes fast moving skies etc... It's not just all stationary , full light landscape shots.

I guess my reference to "Clearer" is more light gathering ability when taking a picture on the fly. A better chance of catching a good picture at the spur of the moment. When I had my two DSLR 2.8's I captured some breathtaking pics without effort... When I attempted similar shots with the f4, totally different results of course. When I used the 2.8's indoor- volleyball..."Awesome" f4-mediocre- after adjustments. It just seems much easier with a good high speed glass. With that said, I know I indeed need to go back over the basics of photography. I could take a class and would get nothing from it. My mind wonders too much. Hands on for me. Then I can do the hands on for weeks at a time and 2 years later forget it all and have to return to the basics... ADD… I so guess. It's a good thing- and bad. I have interest in MANY things- can do almost anything- but never able to master any one If that make s any sense...

You're a great group of minds here. Thanks for all of the interesting and wonderful information/comments. Now with that said go ahead and rip into me and my pic's ;0)

Have a great day

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads