Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions
Randell Tober
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?
Mar 27, 2013

I know it's an awesome lens, but can I do as well with a comparable- close second for the cost? Using it with a Pany G5. Thanks to all in advance. Have a great day- or night depending where you're at

Randell Tober's gear list:Randell Tober's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,443Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 27, 2013

If you don't need to go as wide the 14/2.5 can be found for much cheaper (<$200) on E-bay split from body kits.  People complain it isn't very different than a kit zoom, which is true in some ways (IQ stopped down) but less so in others (one stop faster, much smaller and lighter).  So if you carry a kit-zoom the 14/2.5 isn't exciting.  If you carry primes instead then it is a very good value in price, weight and size to get wide angle.

Watch for refurbished 12/2s to save about $150 (Cameta is a good place to watch but they show up in the Olympus store and on Adorama from time to time as well).

Worth the $$ is an impossible question to answer as it depends a lot on the person.

Oh, and if you do get a 12/2 be sure to test it within the return period - more than one person has had bad luck with getting multiple defective copies.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,630Gear list
Like?

For me it was the best choice, so 'yes' it was worth it.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Mar 27, 2013

I found 12mm FOV to be too wide for general purposes.  You need to get uncomfortably close to a subject in order to fill the frame.  Also, it tends to distort faces away from the center of the frame.

I ended up selling it and getting the 17mm F/1.8 instead.

I think Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is a better value if you are willing to spend $700+ for a lens.  You only lose 1 stop yet a much more versatile lens for any given situation.

zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?

I got one for $550. I used the ebay "make an offer" feature as a shot in the dark and didn't honestly expect the seller (a liquidating camera store) to accept it, but they did.

At first I was planning to immediately resell the lens for a profit but then I started using it and fell in love. I don't use my 14/2.5 or 9-18 much anymore and am pondering selling those.

Would I buy it again for the full $800? I don't know. Maybe. Tough call. But I have a lot of fun with it...

mb65
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
In reply to Extract0r, Mar 27, 2013

I myself have a slightly different take, but I am still interested in the question.

I have an Oly OMD with kit zoom and a Pana 20/1.7 (very nice lens). The much dispised kit zoom 12-50 is actually a versatile lens, albeit quite slow. A high quality 12 mm at 2.0 is very tempting but the kit covers this focal lenght already.

If price were no object, how does the 12/2.0 compared with the kit zoom at 12 mm?

Thank you very much and happy Pasqua,

Mattia

kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,443Gear list
Like?
In reply to zkz5, Mar 27, 2013

Nice set of pics!

This one scares me - I can't imagine holding that expensive a lens as close to the water as you must have to get the shot!

zkz5 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to Extract0r, Mar 27, 2013

Extract0r wrote:

I found 12mm FOV to be too wide for general purposes.  You need to get uncomfortably close to a subject in order to fill the frame.  Also, it tends to distort faces away from the center of the frame.

I would agree - but that's not what I use it for! I use it for wide angle. I use the 17 for general use and the 45 for portrait.

I ended up selling it and getting the 17mm F/1.8 instead.

I think Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is a better value if you are willing to spend $700+ for a lens.  You only lose 1 stop yet a much more versatile lens for any given situation.

Ok, but that's 1 stop I'd rather have and it's much smaller than the 12~35.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932Gear list
Like?

Randell Tober wrote:

I know it's an awesome lens, but can I do as well with a comparable- close second for the cost? Using it with a Pany G5. Thanks to all in advance. Have a great day- or night depending where you're at

I think it mainly comes down to whether you need the fast-ish f2 aperature. If not, plenty of lenses can substitute and give similar IQ stopped down, like the 9-18, and save some money. If you need fast, your choices are limited.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?

A very nice set. I really like the second. Beautiful and intriguing.

zkz5 wrote:

I got one for $550. I used the ebay "make an offer" feature as a shot in the dark and didn't honestly expect the seller (a liquidating camera store) to accept it, but they did.

At first I was planning to immediately resell the lens for a profit but then I started using it and fell in love. I don't use my 14/2.5 or 9-18 much anymore and am pondering selling those.

Would I buy it again for the full $800? I don't know. Maybe. Tough call. But I have a lot of fun with it...

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Eklund, Mar 27, 2013

I'd only use it for landscapes, I can't see much other point, other than people in landscapes type shots. They Oly lenses are so cute they are tempting to collect just because they're beautiful!

Its not too expensive really when you consider how much wide angles lenses cost in general

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Yes and no

I have it - 12mm for me is perfect for landscapes, and it works great when you want something wide and fast - like in old churches or museaums.  When I'm traveling it's on my camera 95% of the time.  I agree with you that the extremely small size and f2.0 is a big plus compared to using a heavier zoom like the 12-35, but the 12-35 is probably as good or better in the sharpness category.  Depending on what Oly comes out with for a zoom next month, I could be tempted to make a switch.

I do think it's over-priced - IMO it should be priced more in the range of the 17mm f1.8.  But hey, I bought it, and I like it.  If you want a wide, high quality, prime lens - it's really the only option, and it is a very good lens.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
If you need f2
In reply to markymark101, Mar 27, 2013

Then yes.  Otherwise, get the 9-18 or the 7-14.  I find myself rarely using this wide open for landscapes, so it's kind of pointless unless you are shooting handheld in lower light.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Great examples!

Nice shots!  This is what this lens is made for.

If you need a wide DOF landscape lens, there are much cheaper and just as good options.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Great examples!
In reply to dpalugyay, Mar 27, 2013

dpalugyay wrote:

Nice shots!  This is what this lens is made for.

If you need a wide DOF landscape lens, there are much cheaper and just as good options.

Unless you really need the extra 4mm get the Pany 14mm, there is a good comparison review here.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/10/04/micro-four-thirds-lens-comparison-olympus-12mm-f2-vs-panasonic-14mm-f2-5/

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,507
Like?

Randell Tober wrote:

Well as you know, you could get the 7-14 for about the same price, although it's a much bigger and heavier lens, and maybe more proned to lens flare, but a lot more versatile.
The least expensive way to get a fast and also sharp 12mm equivalent is to buy a Panasonic LX7, which is f/1.4 at the wide end and has the same field of view as the 12mm, and that lens is a great buy considering that for only $299 it includes a camera.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,276Gear list
Like?
Very dynamic work here ZKZ [NT]

zkz5 wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
webservants
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
It's a nice lens

-- hide signature --

blessings,
Steven

webservants's gear list:webservants's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734Gear list
Like?
Other Options

Randell Tober wrote:

If you don't mind a slightly larger lens that is manual focus only, you may want to have a look at the SLR Magic 12mm t/1.6 Hyperprime. Fast lens with a good review from photozone.de. This lens is cheaper than the Olympus 12mm f/2. It's manual focus only, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem at such a short focal length.

I don't own SLR Magic lens, but I am strongly considering buying it, rather than the Olympus (which I also don't have).

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
It all depends on what you want to shoot.

Randell Tober wrote:

I know it's an awesome lens, but can I do as well with a comparable- close second for the cost?

Like many have already said, it all depends on what you plan to shoot.  Do you need 12mm?  Do you need f2?  Do you need the build quality in this lens that is more designed for the pro?  These three things cost you extra.

If you need 12mm and do not care about f2, then the only cheaper choice is the 9-18.  If you want 12mm and f2, there is really no other choice.  The 14/2.5 is wide enough and fast enough and much cheaper.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads