New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680Gear list
Like?
New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s
Mar 27, 2013

I've been a Rebel user for about three years, having used 10D,30D,40D, before that. I went to the Rebel because of size and weight. I've also been using M4/3s for about two years, being sort of taken by the size and mirrorless concept. In fact I have four of them. Since the coming along of new models every nine months or so, the previous models sell really cheap, thus I'm able to have the four. Every now and then, I get out the T2I, and each time I do it feels relaxing and sort of a release. I am still using M4/3s mostly, but can't figure out exactly why, lest it be the smaller size, and smaller bag to carry. If I am serious about the shots I want to take, that they may be enlarged and printed, I'd go for the T2I. With the coming of the new and smaller Rebel, it's tempting to rid myself of all and go for it. I think the only thing holding me back is the size of the lenses. Then again, if I did that I'm afraid I'd miss my EPM1, it's sooo easy to take with you. Not trying to stir up anything here, just random thoughts.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s
In reply to Jere Landis, Mar 27, 2013

I wasn't aware that Canon had updated their APS-C sensor.  Rather than closing the gap, it seems they are falling farther behind.  The latest Olympus 16mp sensor is superior to Canon's using every single metric.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,628Gear list
Like?

No matter how small the body, and the newest Rebel is still considerably bigger than an E-M5, the lenses are still huge compared to any Olympus or Panasonic equivalent I have owned.

It's more like, with the GH3, Panasonic has moved closer to the size of aps-c DSLR bodies.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?

Well, camera size is one part of it, and lens size quite another.

The way I see it, the biggest differences are a) total system size and b) EVF/OVF.

Also, miniaturization of camera bodies is not necessarily a good thing after a certain point because there is that small matter of human hand size and practicality of using a very tiny gadget.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to danijel973, Mar 27, 2013

I understand and agree with you totally on what you say.

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s not.

Why do we keep going here?  Some of us like DX, FF, and m 4/3 and that is great.  We have made our choice, and most don't want to keep having to spend more money on lens , flash units etc.  I used to get really upset with Nikon as they upgraded their system, but I still went along and bought more stuff.  Things like when they came out with light meters, yes we used to hand hold a light meter to get a correct reading.  Then the changed all of their lens to auto focus, and yes we old guys and gals used to always manual focus as that was all there was.  For me, I used SLR, DSLR cameras for years, but then one day I just got tired of carrying around 2 bodies and 5 lens and picked up the m 4/3 system cameras.  Do I want to go back to what I used to own?  No.  Do I care what you use? No.  Buy what ever you plan to use and stick with it.

You are never going to get out of a camera what it can really produce, if you flick from one to another camera or system.  That was the great thing about film.  They came out with the next great thing about every 10 years.  Sometimes you actually wore a camera out.

www.photosbypike.com

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Mar 27, 2013

Really don't want to get into that type of discussion. I have compared them on the comparometer and they look identical, except the Canon file is larger.

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Charles Pike, Mar 27, 2013

You appear to be upset over my post, why is that? Read the last line of it again.

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
I think this is more an advantage for those with canon lens...

This seems like travel body canon users vs a revolutionary design or upgrade to me.  If I had dated canon body and a good lens assortment this would be a nice addition.  If I wanted a street shooting body to go with my primes maybe, but no weather sealing unless I missed the spec's.

not a game changer, if anything the comment that someone made regarding the GH3 closing the gap to the larger DSLR is more spot on from a controls and ergonomics stand point the GH3 is a real threat to any existing DSLR.  And for the form factor and size advantage the OMD is still the quintessential m4/3 with an EVF.

Once the already spectacular lens assortment is complimented within m4/3 I see less an less of an argument about one system vs another and the images coming out of m4/3 are nothing short of spectacular.  Maybe the advent of the images is that the tools are able to now support the veteran photographers and their wealth of skills and those that were early adopters of the system are actually taking the time to learn the system and more importantly photography.

too long of a reply sorry.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

You appear to be upset over my post, why is that? Read the last line of it again.

You appear to be stirring up trouble and then complaining that you are innocent.  Why is that?  If you want to have a conversation, let's have one.  If you don't, then why post?

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?

He is innocent. Jere is a long time contributor here.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,769Gear list
Like?

I'll take you at your word that you are not trying to stir things up.  So my thought in response to yours is that absent a significant revolution in  lens design allowing the cropped sensor Canon lenses to be radically smaller without sacrificing any quality, the gap to which you refer will NEVER be closed.  so I take it you are using the word closing in a relative way -- it used to be a big gap and now it is a modestly smaller gap but still big.  Don't get me wrong, if you want change over, go for it.  But most of us in m4/3 are there for the overall size and weight advantage.  As for which of my cameras I pick when I want to print and enlarge, the only two prints I have ever taken to 16x20 are from my Canon G11, not my Oly PEN or my Nikon DSLR.  Sensor size is not the limiting factor on enlargement -- the quality of the photo is.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,065Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I've been a Rebel user for about three years, having used 10D,30D,40D, before that. I went to the Rebel because of size and weight. I've also been using M4/3s for about two years, being sort of taken by the size and mirrorless concept. In fact I have four of them. Since the coming along of new models every nine months or so, the previous models sell really cheap, thus I'm able to have the four. Every now and then, I get out the T2I, and each time I do it feels relaxing and sort of a release. I am still using M4/3s mostly, but can't figure out exactly why, lest it be the smaller size, and smaller bag to carry. If I am serious about the shots I want to take, that they may be enlarged and printed, I'd go for the T2I. With the coming of the new and smaller Rebel, it's tempting to rid myself of all and go for it. I think the only thing holding me back is the size of the lenses. Then again, if I did that I'm afraid I'd miss my EPM1, it's sooo easy to take with you. Not trying to stir up anything here, just random thoughts.

Based on your comment, I think you might find that the 100D is best for your needs.  It seems that the appropriate thing to do is try one out when it is released.  Beyond that, I don't think you are going to get any useful advice.  You are obviously aware of the differences in lenses, size and handling.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Charles Pike
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Mar 27, 2013

I didn't mean to start a argument.  What I am just saying is that we each have very different needs for what our cameras can do.  If I were younger, I would still be keeping all of that equipment.  I love Nikon, and it never ever let me down.  I shot for newspapers, weddings and special events.  Then one day it just got to be to much to carry, and my subject matter changed as well. I now shot street, and the smaller camera just fit my subject matter better.  But never let it be said, that I didn't love my Nikons, as I owned a bunch.  Nikkormat, FE, FE-2, (2) N8008, (2) N90s, (2) D100 and my last one was the D200.  I have also owned the following lens: 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm and the 180mm.  All primes and as fast as I could afford.  Actually I owned many of these lens twice as cameras went from manual focus to auto focus.  And don't even ask about speed lights, or camera bags.  Each of us uses the equipment that works best for what we shoot.

www.photosbypike.com

benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

. Then again, if I did that I'm afraid I'd miss my EPM1, it's sooo easy to take with you. Not trying to stir up anything here, just random thoughts.

This is why I truck my second hand e-Pl1 around everywhere.. with the 40-150 lens;

Portability !
The idea of going on a six mile hike with the Huge lenses that Canon sells & trying to get shots while moving around  just isn't me

Hiking  / Tuscany

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,296Gear list
Like?
In reply to benarden, Mar 27, 2013

There are so  many things to think about. Yeah regardless of what people might say, both Canon and Nikon make good cameras (and lenses). The only reservations I'd have is finding out the focus speed with the Canon, and the lens sizes. It's true as another poster noted, sometimes in sticking with one system, you do get a "feel" for it after a while. I've still kept my old Canon APS-C because it does macro stuff pretty well and even though it's old, I'm used to it. For nearly everything else I use M43.

If I had the money, I'd buy a FF Canon (all my existing lenses are EF as oposed to the cropped sensor ones). There are things that are advantageous to full frame, as there are things that are advantageous to M43. To me honestly the abilities of APS-C and M43 are too close especially when considering the size of lenses (and the adaptability of many more manual lenses without glassed adapters - But that's only specific to a few of us, and if I was going APS-C I'd probably go to Nex) I do understand what you mean, and I think the new Canon will do OK, especially with those with heavy investments in Canon gear. I think many of those people will buy it, rather than trying to build a whole new system...all they'll have to do is buy a body, and maybe one or two (or more) small pancake lenses as Canon introduces them. Of course I could be wrong.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Cameras are all about the lenses. And m43 lenses are smaller by a lot - for those who prefer that characterisitc.

Didn't you know that?

Jere Landis
Like?

No, I didn't really mean to stir up trouble. I was pointing out that, to me the gap closed a bit with an even smaller Rebel.

Charles Pike
Like?

They are really so very close now.  If I were still shooting for a paper I would still own my Nikon.  I wasn't a fan boy, it is just that you used to start with a lens, and it just cost to much to change.  For weddings and sports, I think that a Canon Rebel would be a good choice.

www.photosbypike.com

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Mar 27, 2013

I have to agree with everything you have to say, actually.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads