Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Re: Why I'm sending back my X100S (autofocus)
In reply to pkincy, Mar 29, 2013

pkincy wrote:

Please look at the images at 1:1.  The first clearly suffers from camera shake.  Look at the lettering on the signs to the right of the subject and the logo on the subjects hat.  Clearly camera shake not OOF.

It's both. Really.

And on the second I believe Zach's comment is absolutely spot on.  I have learned to put the AF entirely on my subject with a strong contrast line within that same plane.  For some months after I got my early delivery X100, I thought the strong vertical line I needed was the vertical edge of the subject and I was mightily disappointed because more often than not the object in focus was the background.

Practice with a small box and get at least 90+% of the box on the subject that is in the plane of focus you want.  If the CDAF can it will focus on the background.  If you don't allow that box to see any of the background you have solved that problem.

Yes, I agree that I should have used a smaller box, and composed on a solid plane. I'm used to the X100's wilful ability to select the wrong bit to focus on, and would have used MF and AFL for that.

However, the whole point was that I was trying out the X100S with phase detect AF. I was wanting to see if I could trust the AF more, and trying it out in different situations. Now I know that phase detect doesn't help with that, so I don't think that the £650 extra I'd be paying to upgrade the X100 is worth it FOR ME.

PS: I don't know a thing about the 100S as I only have the 100 and am not likely to "upgrade" any time soon.

-- hide signature --

X100; WCL-100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; 18-55 Zoom, Samyang 8 mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
In reply to Sulis2, Mar 29, 2013

Nothing wrong with the camera. Using the largest AF box is not a great idea. Whatever's in that box is included in the focus decision.  So who knows what it focused on. Same with the X100.  How long have you been shooting with these cameras?

Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
In reply to mattmadd, Apr 23, 2013

mattmadd wrote:

Sulis2 wrote:

Sadly, I'll be sending back my X100S, and sticking with my X100.

How on earth could it fail to lock on to the object? The AF box was at its largest in the middle of the frame and had gone green*. I have two other frames on either side of the last one, both of which are similarly out of focus. I wasn't keeping a half press on the shutter button, either.

I had seen a few examples in previous testing that made me very slightly nervous, but this is just unacceptable to me (YMMV). If I can't trust the camera to get such a straightforward subject right, then I can't trust it at all. At least with my old X100 I was used to using manual focus and the AFL button... If I'm going to be using that process then I don't see the point of upgrading.

I must stress that this in no way invalidates the X100S for anyone else. It's capable of great things. But, for me, the AF still has too far to go.

* I checked in playback and the focus was square on the man's neck and the baby

I'm really sad to say this as a massive Fujifilm X-Series fan, but that's my conclusion too.  I borrowed an X100S and compared it side by side with my X100. In a lot of circumstances the X100 actually locked focus quicker than the X100S!!

The only time the X100S seriously out-performed the X100 was at close-range (30-50cm) in good light, then the difference was so great that you'd be hard pressed to think they were related, but anything outside of that the X100 was at least and good and to my huge surprise actually was faster than the X100!  I found this both in the real-world and in my studio tests - I'll be posting up a video onto YouTube about it soon.

The other issue is that the colours are not as rich coming out of the X100S with the same settings.  I heard that the X100S had lost the X100 'look' but I didn't believe until I tried it for myself!

Thanks, I knew it was just typical Fuji hype when they announced the X100s with the fastest bla bla bla.

The old X-100 took a long time and many many firmware updates to get it right. Autofocus is now very good and quite fast too on the X-100. Just use the small green square and concentrate on WHERE you are focusing and it will be alright. The X-100 Classic has amazing colors. It might not have the sharpness of the 16 MP Fuji X cameras but those colors, wow!

Come on Fuji, give us the Q menu too and the auto iso fix in the quick menu and this is the perfect camera for all of us!

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads