Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,484Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 31, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

Thank you for confirming in such an obvious way that I was right about the point I was making: That your logic is in error.

I was pointing out that metering is irrelevant with regard to the conclusions we can draw from the E-M5-versus-NEX 7 example that Mjankor pointed to. You respond by saying you find metering important in actual shooting. Now what has that got to do with the price of fish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3

Well like I stated before the 70mm Sigma will be here in a couple of days and I'll set them up and shoot side x side and see what the 70mm Sigma has to do with it...that seems to be the key word in the shutter speeds on Image Resource...so I'll know once and for all...hope you and Manjour are right to be honest, just doesn't seem that way from my own experiences...

No. That's not the key point (or word). The key point is that we can check whether cameras behave according to ISO standards by more effective means. And the E-M5 does.
 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,395
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 1, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

Thank you for confirming in such an obvious way that I was right about the point I was making: That your logic is in error.

I was pointing out that metering is irrelevant with regard to the conclusions we can draw from the E-M5-versus-NEX 7 example that Mjankor pointed to. You respond by saying you find metering important in actual shooting. Now what has that got to do with the price of fish?

Well like I stated before the 70mm Sigma will be here in a couple of days and I'll set them up and shoot side x side and see what the 70mm Sigma has to do with it...that seems to be the key word in the shutter speeds on Image Resource...so I'll know once and for all...hope you and Manjour are right to be honest, just doesn't seem that way from my own experiences...

No. That's not the key point (or word). The key point is that we can check whether cameras behave according to ISO standards by more effective means. And the E-M5 does.

I'll test it against the Nex-7 both with Sigma 70mm and see which has the fastest shutter with same settings...thats the key point to "me"...sorry but it's my nickel and I'll test the way I want when I want and how I want and then report "my" findings...

They sell Sigma 70mm Macros all day everyday if you want to buy your own and do your own testing...

Metering is very important to me because I use my cameras at set meterings...Spot or Centerweighted I don't shoot Manual I shoot "A" for fastest possible shutter speeds with lowest possible ISO...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,686
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 1, 2013

Sounds good. You could do two tests, one for metering and one for ISO.

For the ISO shoot the same scene with the same settings in each camera. Both images should be approximately the same final brightness.

For the metering test, do what you're going to do - let the cameras choose the settings.

I'm interested in the results.

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I'll test it against the Nex-7 both with Sigma 70mm and see which has the fastest shutter with same settings...thats the key point to "me"...sorry but it's my nickel and I'll test the way I want when I want and how I want and then report "my" findings...

They sell Sigma 70mm Macros all day everyday if you want to buy your own and do your own testing...

No reason for me to do that. I have no desire for the Sigma 70 macro and the IR test shots suffice. If two cameras have received the same exposure (same light on the sensor) at a certain camera ISO, the ratio between their RAW-level saturation rates should match the ratio between the DxOMark "measured ISOs". For the E-M5 versus D5200 shots that you provided as an example here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51174320

the ratio between the "measured ISOs" at a camera ISO of 800 is 394/547 = 0.72. The corresponding ratio between the saturation level in the IR RAWs (green channel average divided by the clipping point) is 0.102/0.123 = 0.829. Dividing the second ratio by the first provides a measure of the exposure difference and 0.829/0.72 = 1.15, which is approximately 1/5 EV. So IR in fact gave the E-M5 about 1/5 EV more exposure than the D5200 although the EXIF info that you trust leads you to the mistaken conclusion that the difference is a full EV.

Metering is very important to me because I use my cameras at set meterings...Spot or Centerweighted I don't shoot Manual I shoot "A" for fastest possible shutter speeds with lowest possible ISO...

Metering in the conventional sense isn't very important to me any more since the E-M5 live-view highlight warnings provide superior information in most cases. But if the meter doesn't behave as you want it to in your kind of shooting, why not just dial in enough exposure compensation in one direction or the other until it works the way you think it should?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
LTZ470
Like?

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

No reason for me to do that. I have no desire for the Sigma 70 macro and the IR test shots suffice. If two cameras have received the same exposure (same light on the sensor) at a certain camera ISO, the ratio between their RAW-level saturation rates should match the ratio between the DxOMark "measured ISOs". For the E-M5 versus D5200 shots that you provided as an example here

the ratio between the "measured ISOs" at a camera ISO of 800 is 394/547 = 0.72. The corresponding ratio between the saturation level in the IR RAWs (green channel average divided by the clipping point) is 0.102/0.123 = 0.829. Dividing the second ratio by the first provides a measure of the exposure difference and 0.829/0.72 = 1.15, which is approximately 1/5 EV. So IR in fact gave the E-M5 about 1/5 EV more exposure than the D5200 although the EXIF info that you trust leads you to the mistaken conclusion that the difference is a full EV.

Metering in the conventional sense isn't very important to me any more since the E-M5 live-view highlight warnings provide superior information in most cases. But if the meter doesn't behave as you want it to in your kind of shooting, why not just dial in enough exposure compensation in one direction or the other until it works the way you think it should?

Shooting shaded/lighted areas and different colored birds of various types I am afraid I would miss more shots than it's worth...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Shooting shaded/lighted areas and different colored birds of various types I am afraid I would miss more shots than it's worth...

You mean with the live-view highlight warnings or with "calibrated" (by EC) metering? Can't see why in either case.

nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to pavinder, Apr 1, 2013

I think its a wonderful lens. For some reason, the reviews are not very enthusiastic about this lens, but my experience is otherwise. Anyway, here's some work made with this lens that will agree with what i'm saying:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnihot/sets/72157632648070419/detail/

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

I don't get it. What is the  purpose of buying the sigma? It only has a bug in conjunction with some Nikon DSLRs at some apertures. If you want to confirm the bug, you'll have to test the lens with one of the Nikon DSLRs with which the lens has a problem.

Here's IR's statement on the matter as quoted on their D800 review, linked for your convenience: *Note: These shots were captured with a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro lens, one of the sharpest lenses we've ever tested on SLRgear.com. We use Sigma 70mm lenses in most of our studio test shots because they are so sharp and are available for most major platforms. For some reason, though, on some (but not all) Nikon bodies, the Sigma causes the camera's exposure system to overexpose by somewhere between one third of a stop and a full stop depending on the aperture. The D800 is one such body (as was the D4, D7000, D300S and D90), as the exposure compensation settings actually used in the images above are lower than normal for this shot. Accordingly, the comments regarding exposure compensation required have been adjusted to match results we achieved with a Nikkor lens. Other than this exposure shift, the Sigma 70mm performs very well on Nikon bodies, so we continue to use it as our "reference" lens, due to its excellent optical qualities.

Looking forward to the results of your tests!

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
LTZ470
Like?

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

You mean with the live-view highlight warnings or with "calibrated" (by EC) metering? Can't see why in either case.

I'm a set and forget shooter and concentrate on shooting and getting results, not adjusting camera settings every 5 seconds, a camera that I have to do that with will not be in the stable for very long, once I get my settings where I want them I shoot continuously, but I will change metering at times so suit conditions...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I'm a set and forget shooter and concentrate on shooting and getting results, not adjusting camera settings every 5 seconds, a camera that I have to do that with will not be in the stable for very long, once I get my settings where I want them I shoot continuously, but I will change metering at times so suit conditions...

What makes you think I am any different and what would be the problem with the solution I proposed?

LTZ470
Like?

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

What makes you think I am any different and what would be the problem with the solution I proposed?

Sorry didn't realize you were birding Anders, I thought maybe you were shooting landscapes or still shots...I'm really not fast enough to worry with highlights or shadows when birding I just shoot the subject and don't worry about surroundings to be honest...not very good at multi-tasking...like I said I am a set and forget but will tweak slightly if required...I shoot like I like to shoot, and comfortable to shoot, don't really follow others too closely...

Like I stated before it's funny how folks want you to think act and follow what they do because they do it the "right" way and they "know" better how to do it than anyone else?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Sorry didn't realize you were birding Anders, I thought maybe you were shooting landscapes or still shots...

I shoot a wide variety of things. Sometimes, I have plenty of time, sometimes not.

I'm really not fast enough to worry with highlights or shadows when birding I just shoot the subject and don't worry about surroundings to be honest...not very good at multi-tasking...like I said I am a set and forget but will tweak slightly if required...I shoot like I like to shoot, and comfortable to shoot, don't really follow others too closely...

Like I stated before it's funny how folks want you to think act and follow what they do because they do it the "right" way and they "know" better how to do it than anyone else?

Not trying to push you into doing something you wouldn't want to do. But it seemed you had a problem, so I suggested a solution (setting EC so as to get your meter calibrated the way you prefer). Since it's a one-time ("set and forget" as you put it) adjustment, I wondered (and still wonder) why it wouldn't work for you.

LTZ470
Like?

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Sorry didn't realize you were birding Anders, I thought maybe you were shooting landscapes or still shots...

I shoot a wide variety of things. Sometimes, I have plenty of time, sometimes not.

I'm really not fast enough to worry with highlights or shadows when birding I just shoot the subject and don't worry about surroundings to be honest...not very good at multi-tasking...like I said I am a set and forget but will tweak slightly if required...I shoot like I like to shoot, and comfortable to shoot, don't really follow others too closely...

Not trying to push you into doing something you wouldn't want to do. But it seemed you had a problem, so I suggested a solution (setting EC so as to get your meter calibrated the way you prefer). Since it's a one-time ("set and forget" as you put it) adjustment, I wondered (and still wonder) why it wouldn't work for you.

The variance in lighting where I shoot birds is challenging to say the least so Spot and Center Weighted Metering is used dependent upon lighting in certain areas, so as far as adjusting EV, on the OMD I usually use -0.3 for a faster shutter speed...thats a set and forget though, unless I adjust it inadvertently and that has happened before as well...

I shot these +0.3 by mistake and they turned out ok, only because there was an abundance of shutter speed to spare...except for the last, I recovered and reset to -0.3 EV...Shutter Speed is everything when shooting Airshows, Birds, and Wildlife for "me"...Metering is very important as well for "me"...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

The variance in lighting where I shoot birds is challenging to say the least so Spot and Center Weighted Metering is used dependent upon lighting in certain areas, so as far as adjusting EV, on the OMD I usually use -0.3 for a faster shutter speed...thats a set and forget though,

Well, that's exactly the kind of adjustment I suggested.

unless I adjust it inadvertently and that has happened before as well...

I shot these +0.3 by mistake and they turned out ok, only because there was an abundance of shutter speed to spare...except for the last, I recovered and reset to -0.3 EV...Shutter Speed is everything when shooting Airshows, Birds, and Wildlife for "me"...Metering is very important as well for "me"...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 2, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

The variance in lighting where I shoot birds is challenging to say the least so Spot and Center Weighted Metering is used dependent upon lighting in certain areas, so as far as adjusting EV, on the OMD I usually use -0.3 for a faster shutter speed...thats a set and forget though,

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

The Sigma 70mm's will be here today hopefully...I can test Nex-7, Nex-5N, G3, and, EM5, this should give a good idea of where the shutter speeds lie with each camera with same settings...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Anders W
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 2, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

The Sigma 70mm's will be here today hopefully...I can test Nex-7, Nex-5N, G3, and, EM5, this should give a good idea of where the shutter speeds lie with each camera with same settings...

Looking forward to the results. Might be a good idea to choose a target that isn't very sensitive to the particulars of the metering system (e.g., an evenly lit gray card) and make sure you have exactly the same framing (i.e., going further away with MFT than with APS-C).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads