Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 30, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Stop with the ad homs and explain your argument.

Its plain as day…if you can't see it thats great, if you can see it thats great as well…stop trying to peddle your self proclaimed BS…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

So explain it. My argument that metering is not relevant in this situation is pretty simple. Refute it.

Metering is always relevant…it is that simple...

I have the 70mm Sigma ordered with adapters for EM5 and Nex-7…I will cut to the chase and stop the BS one way or the other...

Of course folks like you won't believe it anyway, but I'll still post "my" findings and thats what I talk about…"my" findings…yours may be different and thats great!, but don't try an push your findings onto me…lol…thats what we call control freaks where I come from…or you can call me cynical…either works nicely for me...

We all shoot differently in different locations, different subjects, different lighting…we all usually end up with different findings/experiences with same equipment…

Consider it refuted…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Stop with the ad homs and explain your argument.

Its plain as day…if you can't see it thats great, if you can see it thats great as well…stop trying to peddle your self proclaimed BS…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

So explain it. My argument that metering is not relevant in this situation is pretty simple. Refute it.

Metering is always relevant…it is that simple...

Is metering relevant when you shoot in manual mode? (No - it's disabled)

If you photograph the same scene twice, one using the camera's meter and once using manual exposure and ISO settings, set to the same as the first photo. is the final image brightness different? (No)

In the equation of exposure + ISO => final image brightness, where is metering relevant? (It's not. It doesn't matter whether you shoot in manual mode, or automatic, for a given scene, at a certain exposure and ISO, the final image brightness will be the same)

I have the 70mm Sigma ordered with adapters for EM5 and Nex-7…I will cut to the chase and stop the BS one way or the other...

Of course folks like you won't believe it anyway, but I'll still post "my" findings and thats what I talk about…"my" findings…yours may be different and thats great!, but don't try an push your findings onto me…lol…thats what we call control freaks where I come from…or you can call me cynical…either works nicely for me...

We all shoot differently in different locations, different subjects, different lighting…we all usually end up with different findings/experiences with same equipment…

Consider it refuted…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 30, 2013

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,620Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to pavinder, Mar 30, 2013

I was out again today with this lens and it really is proving perfect for nature and wildlife photography. I have no problems at all getting wonderfully sharp detailed images, so much so that these days I often find myself letting a trainee use my 'pro' kit on outings like this. As I've said before there are some soft copies floating around, and also users will need to employ some good technique, but otherwise I'm loving it.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/photographing-animals-with-the-olympus-omd-em5/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Lindsay D, Mar 30, 2013

Love your work Lindsay.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 30, 2013

Thank you Mjankor - my Micro 4/3 equipment is really putting the enjoyment back into photography, I'm doing more personal work as a result.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 30, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Lindsay D, Mar 30, 2013

Lindsay D wrote:

I was out again today with this lens and it really is proving perfect for nature and wildlife photography. I have no problems at all getting wonderfully sharp detailed images, so much so that these days I often find myself letting a trainee use my 'pro' kit on outings like this. As I've said before there are some soft copies floating around, and also users will need to employ some good technique, but otherwise I'm loving it.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/photographing-animals-with-the-olympus-omd-em5/

Yes, I had went through your website Lindsay…fantastic captures!…really enjoyed the photos...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

Thank you LTZ470 - the other lens I rate highly for near-wildlife is the 40-150R, super sharp and so close in optical quality to my pro glass.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Lindsay D, Mar 30, 2013

Lindsay D wrote:

I was out again today with this lens and it really is proving perfect for nature and wildlife photography. I have no problems at all getting wonderfully sharp detailed images, so much so that these days I often find myself letting a trainee use my 'pro' kit on outings like this. As I've said before there are some soft copies floating around, and also users will need to employ some good technique, but otherwise I'm loving it.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/photographing-animals-with-the-olympus-omd-em5/

I almost went today but it was to cold.

I used to be a member as I too and fro the airport a lot, very handy place to hang out waiting for a flight.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Lindsay D, Mar 30, 2013

Lindsay D wrote:

Thank you LTZ470 - the other lens I rate highly for near-wildlife is the 40-150R, super sharp and so close in optical quality to my pro glass.

I just sold both my 40-150's, it's all right for you, you've got someone to lug it all around.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

I don't have an issue with metering. Most of my shots are taken using centre weighted. As I commented earlier, on most cameras it works very well.

It just doesn't have anything to do with this discussion.

A few recent ones.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 30, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

I don't have an issue with metering. Most of my shots are taken using centre weighted. As I commented earlier, on most cameras it works very well.

It just doesn't have anything to do with this discussion.

A few recent ones.

Lol…if metering is irrelevant then why do you use it?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

I didn't say it was irrelevant. It's just irrelevant to this discussion.

As pointed out earlier a camera isn't going to change it's behaviour - that for a certain exposure and ISO rating the final image will be at a certain brightness - whether that exposure and ISO is set by metering or by manual setting.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 31, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

I didn't say it was irrelevant. It's just irrelevant to this discussion.

As pointed out earlier a camera isn't going to change it's behaviour - that for a certain exposure and ISO rating the final image will be at a certain brightness - whether that exposure and ISO is set by metering or by manual setting

I use Centerweighted quite often as dependant upon birds...and colors...but spot most of the time...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 31, 2013

Very nice.

I used to use an E520, which was a pain for birding. Had such a small dynamic range, that it was often quite hard to avoid blowing the highlights on birds with white feathers. Still got lots of good captures, but the OM-D is much more fun.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 31, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Very nice.

I used to use an E520, which was a pain for birding. Had such a small dynamic range, that it was often quite hard to avoid blowing the highlights on birds with white feathers. Still got lots of good captures, but the OM-D is much more fun.

Agreed, much more versatile...I am really looking forward to some shots with 12-35 and landscape...AF is amazingly fast...for road trips we used the Canon 7D and 70-200 f/4 which yielded some nice shots, going to try and replace it with EM5 and 35-100...will be interesting to see what we come up with...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,620Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 31, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

Thank you for confirming in such an obvious way that I was right about the point I was making: That your logic is in error.

I was pointing out that metering is irrelevant with regard to the conclusions we can draw from the E-M5-versus-NEX 7 example that Mjankor pointed to. You respond by saying you find metering important in actual shooting. Now what has that got to do with the price of fish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3F

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,681Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 31, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I didn't say anything about opinion or facts…lol…thats your control kicking into overtime...

I said "my" findings…you are welcome to "your" findings as well...

Metering is always relevant for me…thats a fact…

Judging by your exchange with Mjankor, it seems that metering is indeed always relevant for you, which means your logic is in error.

If the E-M5 and the NEX 7 are shot side by side, as they were by you in the post Mjankor pointed to here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51178592

with exposure and ISO settings such that the difference in image brightness should be no bigger than 1/3 EV, and the actual image difference in image brigthness matches that expectation, then those who are able to reason logically can draw the conclusion that the two cameras follow the SOS ISO standard with respect to image brightness to the same extent. No information on metering is required to draw that conclusion.

I love it when you guys think everyone should think exactly like you do…shooting a bird at 30ft metering makes ALL the difference in the world…of course you guys are experts and know everything there is to know about how other folks shoot…lol...

Would love to see your photos of your birding shots…Most folks use Spot Metering for birding…I do too..and yes it is very relevant for me...

Like I stated before I don't take none of what you or man jour as the gospel…I have a 70mm Sigma Macro on the way with adapters…we shall see soon the difference, then I'll present "my" findings…

Thank you for confirming in such an obvious way that I was right about the point I was making: That your logic is in error.

I was pointing out that metering is irrelevant with regard to the conclusions we can draw from the E-M5-versus-NEX 7 example that Mjankor pointed to. You respond by saying you find metering important in actual shooting. Now what has that got to do with the price of fish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_that_got_to_do_with_the...%3

Well like I stated before the 70mm Sigma will be here in a couple of days and I'll set them up and shoot side x side and see what the 70mm Sigma has to do with it...that seems to be the key word in the shutter speeds on Image Resource...so I'll know once and for all...hope you and Manjour are right to be honest, just doesn't seem that way from my own experiences...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads