Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

No. You're suggesting we ignore the actual, calibrated tests, in favor of some images taken under uncertain lighting conditions.

Actually, interesting cameras to choose. The OM-D is apparently 1/3stop one way from the standard (although a few people have seen data thasuggests it's less than that. The Nex 7 is the other way. So, both cameras are at most 1/3 of a stop off, so neither are cheating with their ISO, however there may actually be a visible difference between them. I'm interested to see the back to back tests.

Nex-7 is faster on all accounts of shutter speed, kinda of a bummer that the AF is so poor and the EM5 AF is so good with slow shutter speed and the shutter speeds of both are at opposite ends of the spectrum…lol...

Calibrated test of the Nex-7 with an E-Mount 70mm Sigma Macro lens…lol…yeah right...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

No. You're suggesting we ignore the actual, calibrated tests, in favor of some images taken under uncertain lighting conditions.

Actually, interesting cameras to choose. The OM-D is apparently 1/3stop one way from the standard (although a few people have seen data thasuggests it's less than that. The Nex 7 is the other way. So, both cameras are at most 1/3 of a stop off, so neither are cheating with their ISO, however there may actually be a visible difference between them. I'm interested to see the back to back tests.

Nex-7 is faster on all accounts of shutter speed, kinda of a bummer that the AF is so poor and the EM5 AF is so good with slow shutter speed and the shutter speeds of both are at opposite ends of the spectrum…lol...

Calibrated test of the Nex-7 with an E-Mount 70mm Sigma Macro lens…lol…yeah right...

What are you talking about?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,048Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

It seems you are the cracker-finder here LTZ. You are buying all the false leads one after the other instead of checking the real evidence.

Yes, a crack in the OMD Shutter Speed vs other cameras, it's always slower and thats not good for what I shoot…maybe OK for you guys shooting statues and the like, but not for action and wildlife...

OK. If you are not really interested in the truth, then just forget it. I must admit I would have thought better of you. But apparently I was mistaken.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
LTZ470, did you use ibis?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

...or OIS?

Nice shots!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

Lol..metering was different…one was Center and one was Pattern…idiot?…lol…you mean not as dumb as you look?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

Lol..metering was different…one was Center and one was Pattern…idiot?…lol…you mean not as dumb as you look?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Metering doesn't matter in this discussion. All that matters is that for a certain exposure, the cameras return an equally bright image. Clearly they do.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 29, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

It seems you are the cracker-finder here LTZ. You are buying all the false leads one after the other instead of checking the real evidence.

Yes, a crack in the OMD Shutter Speed vs other cameras, it's always slower and thats not good for what I shoot…maybe OK for you guys shooting statues and the like, but not for action and wildlife...

OK. If you are not really interested in the truth, then just forget it. I must admit I would have thought better of you. But apparently I was mistaken.

For my style of shooting the OMD blurs more shots than any camera I have owned…if it's Shutter slap I'll find out soon…slow shutter speeds were the most obvious culprit...

I am old enough now, I don't buy into nothing because somebody says so…it will have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt before I buy it...

I will say I respect you enough to say the "jury is still out" on the OMD for me…love the camera and just got the 12-35 and 35-100 so with 100-300 that rounds out a full suite...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,048Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

It seems you are the cracker-finder here LTZ. You are buying all the false leads one after the other instead of checking the real evidence.

Yes, a crack in the OMD Shutter Speed vs other cameras, it's always slower and thats not good for what I shoot…maybe OK for you guys shooting statues and the like, but not for action and wildlife...

OK. If you are not really interested in the truth, then just forget it. I must admit I would have thought better of you. But apparently I was mistaken.

For my style of shooting the OMD blurs more shots than any camera I have owned…if it's Shutter slap I'll find out soon…slow shutter speeds were the most obvious culprit...

Whatever it is due to, it is not "fudged ISO". Feel free to research the actual reason for the blur. But that's not what we are talking about here. It's about the fact that there is no "ISO fudging" going on.

I am old enough now, I don't buy into nothing because somebody says so…it will have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt before I buy it...

So exactly what is it about the ISO issue that still needs to be proven?

I will say I respect you enough to say the "jury is still out" on the OMD for me…love the camera and just got the 12-35 and 35-100 so with 100-300 that rounds out a full suite...

This is not about whether the E-M5 is a good camera or not. You can have your opinion about that and I mine. It is about what it does and does not do with regard to ISO, which is a question of fact, not a value judgment.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 29, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

It seems you are the cracker-finder here LTZ. You are buying all the false leads one after the other instead of checking the real evidence.

Yes, a crack in the OMD Shutter Speed vs other cameras, it's always slower and thats not good for what I shoot…maybe OK for you guys shooting statues and the like, but not for action and wildlife...

OK. If you are not really interested in the truth, then just forget it. I must admit I would have thought better of you. But apparently I was mistaken.

For my style of shooting the OMD blurs more shots than any camera I have owned…if it's Shutter slap I'll find out soon…slow shutter speeds were the most obvious culprit...

Whatever it is due to, it is not "fudged ISO". Feel free to research the actual reason for the blur. But that's not what we are talking about here. It's about the fact that there is no "ISO fudging" going on.

Ever look at the EXIF from the Fujis at Image resources?…Fuji fudges the ISO the same way and you see the same pattern of slow shutter speeds with the Fuji's as you do OMD...

I am old enough now, I don't buy into nothing because somebody says so…it will have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt before I buy it...

So exactly what is it about the ISO issue that still needs to be proven?

See reply above…still a doubting Thomas

I will say I respect you enough to say the "jury is still out" on the OMD for me…love the camera and just got the 12-35 and 35-100 so with 100-300 that rounds out a full suite...

This is not about whether the E-M5 is a good camera or not.

If it wasn't I wouldn't own it for such a high price?…would you?

You can have your opinion about that and I mine.

Not an opinion, findings from shooting lots of photos…thats called experience…my experience is the OMD has slower shutter speeds than other cameras...

It is about what it does and does not do with regard to ISO, which is a question of fact, not a value judgment.

Correct, thats why the jury is still out on the OMD ISO vs Shutter Speed…as stated before, very similar to Fuji from Image Resource EXIF...

What would be cool, is if Image Resource would adapt a Sigma 70mm Macro onto the OMD and reshoot to prove or disprove?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

Lol..metering was different…one was Center and one was Pattern…idiot?…lol…you mean not as dumb as you look?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Metering doesn't matter in this discussion. All that matters is that for a certain exposure, the cameras return an equally bright image. Clearly they do.

I am not going to even try and reflect on this…obviously you need help with understanding Metering vs Shutter Speeds…and Metering Dark Objects vs Light Objects...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: LTZ470, did you use ibis?
In reply to dezignman, Mar 29, 2013

dezignman wrote:

...or OIS?

Nice shots!

Neither if shutter sped is 1/1000 or higher…getting more keepers it seems without IBIS or OIS…thanks for the kind comment...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 29, 2013

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

texinwien wrote:

LTZ470, imaging resource has made a clear statement about many of their Nikon test image EXIFs being bogus. Specifically, they use a Sigma lens that has a software bug that causes it to report a narrower aperture in the EXIFs than was actually used when coupled with some Nikons at some apertures, thereby significantly understating the exposure the Nikons got on some shots. They have repeated this statement on some Nikon DSLR reviews where the issue comes up.

The EXIFs are bogus, and don't support your erroneous claim that the E-M5 meters slower than most other cameras. Those are the facts.

See here for more info and instructions on how to find imaging resource's statement on the issue.

tex

Cool. I had wondered about that.

So why is the Nex-7 twice the shutter speed?…lol…bogus…if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese you find some crackers...

It seems you are the cracker-finder here LTZ. You are buying all the false leads one after the other instead of checking the real evidence.

Yes, a crack in the OMD Shutter Speed vs other cameras, it's always slower and thats not good for what I shoot…maybe OK for you guys shooting statues and the like, but not for action and wildlife...

OK. If you are not really interested in the truth, then just forget it. I must admit I would have thought better of you. But apparently I was mistaken.

For my style of shooting the OMD blurs more shots than any camera I have owned…if it's Shutter slap I'll find out soon…slow shutter speeds were the most obvious culprit...

Whatever it is due to, it is not "fudged ISO". Feel free to research the actual reason for the blur. But that's not what we are talking about here. It's about the fact that there is no "ISO fudging" going on.

I am old enough now, I don't buy into nothing because somebody says so…it will have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt before I buy it...

So exactly what is it about the ISO issue that still needs to be proven?

I will say I respect you enough to say the "jury is still out" on the OMD for me…love the camera and just got the 12-35 and 35-100 so with 100-300 that rounds out a full suite...

This is not about whether the E-M5 is a good camera or not. You can have your opinion about that and I mine. It is about what it does and does not do with regard to ISO, which is a question of fact, not a value judgment.

Anders I can really honestly say…I hope I am wrong and I have to eat crow while it's fresh…I will gladly eat it, this has troubled me from the first outing when i did not get one unblurred shot from the OMD and saw the shutter speeds were drastically low…my fault as i should have pushed ISO, but was still dumbfounded there wasn't one sharp shot in the group shooting burst off tripod as I normally do with decent results...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 29, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

Lol..metering was different…one was Center and one was Pattern…idiot?…lol…you mean not as dumb as you look?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Metering doesn't matter in this discussion. All that matters is that for a certain exposure, the cameras return an equally bright image. Clearly they do.

I am not going to even try and reflect on this…obviously you need help with understanding Metering vs Shutter Speeds…and Metering Dark Objects vs Light Objects...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

It's not very complex. Metering works on both cameras. That's not interesting.

Regardless of the metering system, that won't change the basic equation of exposure + ISO setting = final image brightness. An photo of a scene set using the meter will be the same as a photo set with the same camera settings manually.

You're claiming that the OM-D requires more exposure when set at the same ISO as other cameras. Metering doesn't come into it.

Metering may explain why there's a slight difference in brightness between the two images you posted, but that's completely irrelevant.

Your images show that the OM-D gives you almost exactly the same image brightness for a given exposure and ISO rating as your Nex 7.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Re: Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to pavinder, Mar 29, 2013

pavinder wrote:

Just bought my OM-D today, and am considering which lenses to add on.  I currently only have the kit 12-50mm 3.5-6.3

My plan at the moment is to buy in the following order (when I have the cash)

1. Panasonic  35-100mm 2.8 - for longer shots and bright lens.

2. Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 - brighter than the kit lens (but with rumours of an upcoming Olympus zoom with similar FL range I'm happy to hold off on this a while)

3. Panasonic 100-300mm 4.0-5.6 - all reviews and opinions indicate it's the best long lens.  I also saw a second hand lens at a good price today.

But I'm a little unsure of the 100-300mm and wondering whether I should wait on this too, mainly because the lens is getting on for 3 years old so I wonder if there a strong likelihood of a new lens being released to supercede this, either a brighter lens to complete a Panasonic f2.8 trio, or maybe a comparable Olympus?

Further to this, would a 100-300mm f2.8 lens be:

a) possible to make   or

b) prohibitively heavy/large/expensive  anyway?

Thanks for your opinions.

I would not personally buy it.

-- hide signature --

A solution looking for a problem !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
470LTZ
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Hey, looks like some idiot has already taken back to back shots with the nex7 and OM-D.

dpreview.com/forums/thread/3346690?page=8

The Nex7 has 1/3 of a stop less exposure (for its ISO) and looks about 1/3 of a stop darker.

So, It looks like LTZ470 is wrong, as demonstrated in the test photos by LTZ470.

Lol..metering was different…one was Center and one was Pattern…idiot?…lol…you mean not as dumb as you look?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Metering doesn't matter in this discussion. All that matters is that for a certain exposure, the cameras return an equally bright image. Clearly they do.

I am not going to even try and reflect on this…obviously you need help with understanding Metering vs Shutter Speeds…and Metering Dark Objects vs Light Objects...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

It's not very complex. Metering works on both cameras. That's not interesting.

Regardless of the metering system, that won't change the basic equation of exposure + ISO setting = final image brightness. An photo of a scene set using the meter will be the same as a photo set with the same camera settings manually.

You're claiming that the OM-D requires more exposure when set at the same ISO as other cameras. Metering doesn't come into it.

Metering may explain why there's a slight difference in brightness between the two images you posted, but that's completely irrelevant.

Your images show that the OM-D gives you almost exactly the same image brightness for a given exposure and ISO rating as your Nex 7.

Lol…ever try stand up?…you would be great!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to 470LTZ, Mar 29, 2013

Stop with the ad homs and explain your argument.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,882Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 30, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Stop with the ad homs and explain your argument.

Its plain as day…if you can't see it thats great, if you can see it thats great as well…stop trying to peddle your self proclaimed BS…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,571Gear list
Like?
Re: The D5200 EXIFs from I-R are BS…so what is Nex-7 as well?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 30, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Stop with the ad homs and explain your argument.

Its plain as day…if you can't see it thats great, if you can see it thats great as well…stop trying to peddle your self proclaimed BS…lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

So explain it. My argument that metering is not relevant in this situation is pretty simple. Refute it.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you mind elaborating...
In reply to IrishhAndy, Mar 30, 2013

...while you will not buy this lens? Is the Oly 75-300 better? Do you have a preference for his focal length? Thanks.

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads