My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
PerH
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
Re: My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...
In reply to Danielepaolo, Mar 27, 2013

Are we talking about image quality, we must not forget the Pana FZ30-FZ50. I can still see a better depth in images taken with the FZ30 vs Fuji HS30.

PerH's gear list:PerH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to PerH, Mar 27, 2013

PerH wrote:

Are we talking about image quality, we must not forget the Pana FZ30-FZ50. I can still see a better depth in images taken with the FZ30 vs Fuji HS30.

If you are gonna compare 400mm+ or IS0200 and above, FZ50 is like a wimp compared to HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
Re: Frank ...
In reply to Lloydy, Mar 27, 2013

Lloydy, yes I do understand. My brain was fuzzy last night and needed recoop time.

I agree with what you said about the s100fs being different from the HS series. I think that the s100fs comes close to DSLR in feel and results. All of my HS models, well they are like another species. Sounds funny I guess, but that is how I feel. They are fun to shoot, they can produce fine images with pretty colors and the manual zoom is sweet.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

PerH
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 27, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

If you are gonna compare 400mm+ or IS0200 and above, FZ50 is like a wimp compared to HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

I compare image quality only at the lowest ISO80-ISO100 .....

painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
Re: Adam ...
In reply to Lloydy, Mar 27, 2013

thanks for posting all the images you have Dave and your take on the HS50..

It does seem that Fuji has not been moving forward on the IQ side -with this level of bridge cam.  Functionality & bigger zoom seem to have been the priority. I guess its been a  marketing deal. ..

The S100fs and the X-S1 are at a higher IQ level ..but then Fuji demands (demanded)  more coin for that essential. I guess it comes down to the old rub. You get what you pay for..and it seems in the case of the HS series ..less and less re IQ as we  go forward.

I have kindah given up on the bridge concept - for now . High pixel count, sharp FF images, are so flexible (highly cropable etc) that's what I will shoot until something looks better.

Maybe some day there will be an all in oner that really shines in all departments.

Thanks again Dave for taking the time to post this stuff.

All the best

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,909Gear list
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

I wouldn't exactly call it a wimp, at 420mm it was only f/3.5...and if Panny would get off their ar$e and revive it with new updated internals they would have a winner for sure, the AF is slower than smoke off a camel turd and the processor as well...the EVF and LCD look like Roman Times compared to the newer models...

BUT it ain't no slouch Joms...

Sea Gull

Grasshopper

Church

Joms when he sees someone using an FZ200

Neat shot

LTZ470 looking at Joms bird shots

Kiddo Capture

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Mar 27, 2013

Actually some really nice shots from the FZ50...some good some not so good, bu overall nice...

FZ50 Group Shots

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

I wouldn't exactly call it a wimp, at 420mm it was only f/3.5...and if Panny would get off their ar$e and revive it with new updated internals they would have a winner for sure, the AF is slower than smoke off a camel turd and the processor as well...the EVF and LCD look like Roman Times compared to the newer models...

Sea Gull

Grasshopper

Church

Neat shot

Kiddo Capture

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Lol. Those are really nice base ISO images Cole. I've got a couple of in-flight shots today from HS50.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
PerH
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sea Gull

Grasshopper

Church

Neat shot

Kiddo Capture

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Amazing pictures, considering charge the battery on my old FZ30. Too bad it's so damn

PerH
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sea Gull

Grasshopper

Church

Neat shot

Kiddo Capture

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Amazing pictures, considering charge the battery on my old FZ30. Too bad it's sodamn slow

LTZ470
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

PerH wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

Sea Gull

Grasshopper

Church

Neat shot

Kiddo Capture

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Lol. Those are really nice base ISO images Cole. I've got a couple of in-flight shots today from HS50.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Look forward to the Gulls on the Wing!

Yes, but that would be the only reason to buy a Superzoom, Joms even the ISO 400 shots don't do anything for me after shooting the RX1 at ISO 3200, I am a fair weather base ISO super zoom shooter to be honest and don't even go out on bad days to be honest…love shooting in the sun, thats why Florida is so great for birding and nature shots…this was shot at night with this guy in the shade and i pulled the shadows from this ISO 3200 jpeg from RX1, so no high ISO Superzoom shots for me…I take the right camera with me most of the time for what I am doing...

IF I was going to shoot High ISO Zoom shots I just use OMD and 100-300 at ISO 400 which looks better than Base ISO SZ shots even at 35-40ft...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?

Wow, that DOF and composition yields a 3D feel to the photo.  Great shot!  The highlights by the subject's head are interesting though.  They remind me of my X10's sensor blooming before its sensor swap.

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 +16 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to nicknd99, Mar 27, 2013

nicknd99 wrote:

Wow, that DOF and composition yields a 3D feel to the photo.  Great shot!  The highlights by the subject's head are interesting though.  They remind me of my X10's sensor blooming before its sensor swap.

Actually in ground lights facing up best i remember…the RX1 is a phenomenal P&S Full Frame...

RX1 Atlantis Bahamas

RX1 at night Bahamas

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?

Ahh, gotcha, didn't know the source in the photo so I could not tell.  FF in a P&S, just sick!

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 +16 more
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Mar 27, 2013

Danielepaolo wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Your "findings " that the Fujifilm S100fs has a better IQ than the HS50 is pure nonsence. Such a statement is a fairy tail. I still own a S100fs (collecting dust) and now the HS50 too. The HS50 is years of technical developement ahead.

Peter

LOL! You should try stand up.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

What do you mean?

Peter

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,290Gear list
Like?
Re: the S100fs has a 2/3 sensor and 11 MP of course it's better
In reply to Peter71951, Mar 27, 2013

nt

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter71951, Mar 27, 2013

Danielepaolo wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Your "findings " that the Fujifilm S100fs has a better IQ than the HS50 is pure nonsence. Such a statement is a fairy tail. I still own a S100fs (collecting dust) and now the HS50 too. The HS50 is years of technical developement ahead.

Peter

-- hide signature --

What do you mean?

Peter

As in stand up comedian.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
In reply to DS21, Mar 28, 2013

DS21 wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Peter

-- hide signature --

What do you mean?

Peter

As in stand up comedian.

Aha now I know what you mean, ass in hole.

Peter

TFD
TFD
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Mar 29, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Peter

Peter,

I see several possibilities here:

your S100fs is faulty

you never learned how to use the S100fs properly

you are partially blind

you are just trying to wind people up

you are trying to justify your 50's purchase

your opinion of what is good image quality does not correspond with most others opinions

you are having a bad day and decided to vent

good luck with your 50

wj

You forgot just one option: the S100fs is a hype and is founded on nothing. If the S100fs was way better than the HS cameras I would never have bought these cameras. btw is it your habit to insult people?

Peter

when introduced the S100fs was not hyped nearly as much as current day fuji cameras, but no matter, the image quality was very, very good.

I have no idea why 'you' do anything. The hs is probably a better camera in all regards except...image quality.  IMAGE QUALITY!!!!

if you find any of my comments insulting...then so be it, they were not meant to insult...only to state my opinion of some possible reasons as to why you hold this very flawed assessment of the S100fs' image quality.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Maybe I had a bad copy but the S100fs was the worst camera I have ever owned, I wanted to like it, it  was good on paper but I sold it. Massive purple and green fringing and a control system from hell. Reset to defaults every time you shut camera off - it was a dog.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,130Gear list
Like?
In reply to TFD, Mar 29, 2013

TFD wrote:

Maybe I had a bad copy but the S100fs was the worst camera I have ever owned, I wanted to like it, it  was good on paper but I sold it. Massive purple and green fringing and a control system from hell. Reset to defaults every time you shut camera off - it was a dog.

The fringing was horrific in early samples of the camera. DPReview has to expand their scale just to document it.

But there are rumours that later copies were better. Never saw proof, but in RAW you could deal with it adequately.

Of course, you needed a lot of patience to shoot it in RAW, unlike an HS50, which is very fast shooting RAW+JPEG with a modern SD card.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads