My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,867Gear list
Like?
My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...
Mar 27, 2013

... Well, I've had the HS50 EXR for about four days now. In that time I have shot around 430 images and also done some comparisons to the HS30 EXR

My impressions :

I quite like the HS30 EXR as a carry around camera but felt it lacked the IQ I would expect from a third generation HS camera. That is not to say you cannot get good images from it

So, the HS50 EXR appealed as it boasts a newer sensor, faster focus speeds and greater focal length

In comparison to the HS30 EXR, the HS50 EXR delivers the same IQ and focus speed 'feels' the same

Where it is much better than the HS30 EXR is in write speeds, the swivelling LCD is far more versatile and it feels much better balanced in the hand

Additionally, the menu is available immediately after a shot has been taken, even if it is still buffering the last shot. Not so on the HS30 EXR

In terms of the Jpeg engine, for the type of shooting I do and the type of post processing I do, I find that using Sharpness at +2 and NR at -2 works best for me

I shoot Raw plus Jpeg and mostly use the Jpegs. Until now I have been shooting M (medium) Fine but after processing some of the M Fine Raw files and then doing a comparison to Raw L (large) Fine files, I have abandoned M Fine

There is a noticeable difference in what can be extracted from the Raw L Fine files compared to Raw M Fine

My settings :

Note - These are simply what I have settled on as I want a versatile carry around to suit a broad variety of shooting situations. They may, may not, suit what you want from the camera, and your work flow in PP. So, experiment with settings to suit what you want

Program AE
ISO - 1600 (Auto)
Image Size - L 4:3
Image Quality - Fine + Raw
Dynamic Range - DR 200
Film Simulation - STD (Provia)
White Balance - Auto
Color 0
Tone 0
Sharpness +2
Noise Reduction -2 (Even set to -2 the NR is quite 'savage')
Photometry - Average
AF Mode - Tracking (With it set to Tracking, there is no need to use the four way controller, simply focus on your subject, half-press and shoot. If you, or your subject move, the AF will track and remain focussed)
Electronic Level - On
Exposure Compensation - Minus 0.33EV

Bottom line :

I will keep the HS50 EXR over the HS30 EXR but it is still not what I expected a fourth generation HS camera from FujiFilm to be

That being said, it is capable of good images, in a wide variety of situations, and is a fun carry-around camera.

It is certainly no S100 fs replacement, which I still regard as the camera for FujiFilm to best.

Comparison samples :

I have decided against posting copious comparison samples. I would rather spend my time out shooting and post what I get out of the camera 

-- hide signature --

Dave

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: My HS50 EXR - Impressions ...
In reply to Lloydy, Mar 27, 2013

Did you enable High Performance mode on the HS50?

Just by using it the first time, I can certainly say it stomps every superzoom in AF speed and STS time so I am not sure what tests you have done to say that it is not faster than HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lloydy
Like?
Joms ...
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 27, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Did you enable High Performance mode on the HS50?

Just by using it the first time, I can certainly say it stomps every superzoom in AF speed and STS time so I am not sure what tests you have done to say that it is not faster than HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

... As I mentioned, shot to shot times are faster and focus speed 'feels' the same. It is simply the impression I have.

Overall, I find it quite enjoyable to use and it is quite capable of good images. I don't rank it as one of Fuji's great cameras though 

-- hide signature --

Dave

Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the information, Lloydy. I will look for your next set of posted pictures. I read your comments to me in that other thread and it's still difficult for me to get my head around using ISO 1600, particularly doing that all of the time. I know that the HS series that I own do handle very high ISO levels. My s100fs does best at ISO400 and below. Anyhow, those were very good example images that you posted in that thread so I can see that for your shooting needs, 1600 works well.

I was inspired by all the hype for the HS50 from this forum so I went out with one of my HS series today and did a little shooting. That manual zoom is a peach to use.  But the HS series aside, I feel that the s100fs is a cut above. After it faded things seemed to go downhill for Fuji with the exception of a couple of new offerings [just an opinion].

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
In reply to Me Tarzan, Mar 27, 2013

Me Tarzan wrote:

Thanks for the information, Lloydy. I will look for your next set of posted pictures. I read your comments to me in that other thread and it's still difficult for me to get my head around using ISO 1600, particularly doing that all of the time. I know that the HS series that I own do handle very high ISO levels. My s100fs does best at ISO400 and below. Anyhow, those were very good example images that you posted in that thread so I can see that for your shooting needs, 1600 works well.

I was inspired by all the hype for the HS50 from this forum so I went out with one of my HS series today and did a little shooting. That manual zoom is a peach to use.  But the HS series aside, I feel that the s100fs is a cut above. After it faded things seemed to go downhill for Fuji with the exception of a couple of new offerings [just an opinion].

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

You misunderstood, he is using Auto ISO 1600 setting, not ISO 1600 all the time.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
In reply to DS21, Mar 27, 2013

Sheeesh, I need to go to bed. Thanks for the heads up, DS21.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?

Me Tarzan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

Another S100fs user here, but I never did the "upgrade" to HS series.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Lloydy
Like?
Frank ...

Me Tarzan wrote:

Thanks for the information, Lloydy. I will look for your next set of posted pictures. I read your comments to me in that other thread and it's still difficult for me to get my head around using ISO 1600, particularly doing that all of the time.

... Just so it is clear - I am using ISO 1600 (Auto).

In practice this means that the ISO 'floats' anywhere between ISO 100 to ISO 1600, if using M Fine (DR 200%) and ISO 200 to ISO 1600, if using L Fine (DR 200%)

As an example, the 161 images I shot in the market were (With setting at M Fine) :

ISO 100 - 19

ISO 125 - 5

ISO 160 - 5

ISO 200 - 9

ISO 250 - 1

ISO 320 - 7

ISO 400 - 89

ISO 500 - 10

ISO 640 - 6

ISO 800 - 6

ISO 1000 - 2

ISO 1600 - 2

Hope this explains what I am doing

I know that the HS series that I own do handle very high ISO levels. My s100fs does best at ISO400 and below. Anyhow, those were very good example images that you posted in that thread so I can see that for your shooting needs, 1600 works well.

In my opinion - Nothing has remotely come close to the S100 fs for IQ.

That being said, I also have the FujiFilm X-E1 which really surpasses the S100 fs but it is constrained by being an interchangeable lens camera.

At present, I only have the 18 - 55 mm lens and am waiting for the 55 - 200 mm. Still not the reach of the S100 fs but I am sure it will be usable, and fun.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

-- hide signature --

Dave

Lloydy
Like?
DS21 ...
In reply to DS21, Mar 27, 2013

DS21 wrote:

Me Tarzan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

Another S100fs user here, but I never did the "upgrade" to HS series.

... It was never an 'upgrade' Just a different type of camera and, typically, fun to use albeit without a match for the IQ.

-- hide signature --

Dave

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,682Gear list
Like?

Thanks for your honest appraisal - the fact is that despite being 4th generation on paper, it`s only 2nd generation sensor wise (there hasn`t been any evidence that the sensor is any different from the 3yr old HS20 sensor) and a 2nd generation of body (there was the HS10/20/30 body/lens and now the 50) .. Fuji haven`t upgraded things since the 20 IQ wise - sadly when they made the 50 (the real second generation) they didn`t give it a new sensor such as an X-Trans AND went on an NR Binge across their whole camera range (ruining the JPG output from the X10 nd X100S along the way) ..

I`m amazed you`ve not landed an XS1 Dave - you don`t need loads of resolution (even the HS cams were enough) and its hardly, if any bigger than the HS50 and the quality is in another universe .. The HS10/20/30 had the advantage of putting a very handleable manual camera in a small package, the 50 lost that size advantage, do you really need 1000mm - can `t cropping a far better quality 600mm suffice ? .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Lloydy
Like?
Adam ...
In reply to AdamT, Mar 27, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Thanks for your honest appraisal - the fact is that despite being 4th generation on paper, it`s only 2nd generation sensor wise (there hasn`t been any evidence that the sensor is any different from the 3yr old HS20 sensor) and a 2nd generation of body (there was the HS10/20/30 body/lens and now the 50) .. Fuji haven`t upgraded things since the 20 IQ wise - sadly when they made the 50 (the real second generation) they didn`t give it a new sensor such as an X-Trans AND went on an NR Binge across their whole camera range (ruining the JPG output from the X10 nd X100S along the way) ..

... I was basing my comment about the 'new sensor' based on Fuji's statements about it being a new EXR CMOS II sensor.

I`m amazed you`ve not landed an XS1 Dave - you don`t need loads of resolution (even the HS cams were enough) and its hardly, if any bigger than the HS50 and the quality is in another universe .. The HS10/20/30 had the advantage of putting a very handleable manual camera in a small package, the 50 lost that size advantage, do you really need 1000mm - can `t cropping a far better quality 600mm suffice ? .

I did look at the XS1 several times, but that was when i still had the S100 fs. After that was stolen I decided to get the HS30 EXR simply as a stop gap measure until I decided what to get. I ended up getting an X-E1 but, at present, only have the 18-55 mm lens for it.

The HS30 EXR may be handle-able but I find it less comfortable than the HS50 EXR. I actually quite enjoy using it. It's just that the IQ is not in the league I expected it would be.

Do I need 1,000 mm ? Of course 

Seriously, you are quite right - Cropping a good image would be better.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Dave

AdamT
Like?
Re: Adam ...

A superzoom lens for the XE1 would be a good move I guess but until Tamron modifies the NEX version to work with the Fuji mount it ain`t gonna happen ..... maybe the XS1/XE1 combo would suit you better anyway. whatever, it`ll be interesting to see if you keep the HS50 and manage to put up with the "image quality"  . I bet the XE1 is fabulous for the street stuff with the hi-rez EVF and the fast aperture zoom  .

-- hide signature --

Lloydy
Like?
Adam ...
In reply to AdamT, Mar 27, 2013

AdamT wrote:

A superzoom lens for the XE1 would be a good move I guess but until Tamron modifies the NEX version to work with the Fuji mount it ain`t gonna happen ..... maybe the XS1/XE1 combo would suit you better anyway. whatever, it`ll be interesting to see if you keep the HS50 and manage to put up with the "image quality"  . I bet the XE1 is fabulous for the street stuff with the hi-rez EVF and the fast aperture zoom  .

... That it is but I haven't really been out much with it, as yet. The IQ is stellar.

For example, this image is at ISO 5000 and is cropped by about 30%

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Dave

AdamT
Like?
Re: Dave ...

Excellent - having F4 at the long end gives you DOF control too and the DR will be naturally very good without the fake look of EXR - you get to pull the shadows up in PP afterwards if you need due to the low noise. Yup, that cam should be a revelation in your situation . this is why I like the Sony RX100, it`s the size of an S90 but the DR is phenomenal and the DOF deeper , takes images out of the P&S look bracket whereas HDR and EXR does not

-- hide signature --

Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?

Hello Lloydy,

Your "findings " that the Fujifilm S100fs has a better IQ than the HS50 is pure nonsence. Such a statement is a fairy tail. I still own a S100fs (collecting dust) and now the HS50 too. The HS50 is years of technical developement ahead.

Peter

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311
Like?
In reply to Peter71951, Mar 27, 2013

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Your "findings " that the Fujifilm S100fs has a better IQ than the HS50 is pure nonsence. Such a statement is a fairy tail. I still own a S100fs (collecting dust) and now the HS50 too. The HS50 is years of technical developement ahead.

Peter

Peter,

I see several possibilities here:

your S100fs is faulty

you never learned how to use the S100fs properly

you are partially blind

you are just trying to wind people up

you are trying to justify your 50's purchase

your opinion of what is good image quality does not correspond with most others opinions

you are having a bad day and decided to vent

good luck with your 50

wj

AdamT
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Mar 27, 2013

Agreed - the S100FS is in a different class to the HS series completely, the image quality has a depth no pinhead sensor can match (not even the 12Mp BSI one in the SX50), it also manages decent DR without trickery .. the XS1 took over from the S100FS and even that doesn`t match its resolutioin even if it does beat it in all other respects...

I have to be honest that I prefer the images from the old S6500FD than the HS series even if the cam itself was ergonomically designed to upsell the S9600 ..

-- hide signature --

Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Mar 27, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Peter

Peter,

your S100fs is faulty

you are partially blind

your opinion of what is good image quality does not correspond with most others opinions

good luck with your 50

wj

You forgot just one option: the S100fs is a hype and is founded on nothing. If the S100fs was way better than the HS cameras I would never have bought these cameras. btw is it your habit to insult people?

Peter

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311
Like?

Peter71951 wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Peter

Peter,

your S100fs is faulty

you are partially blind

good luck with your 50

wj

You forgot just one option: the S100fs is a hype and is founded on nothing. If the S100fs was way better than the HS cameras I would never have bought these cameras. btw is it your habit to insult people?

Peter

when introduced the S100fs was not hyped nearly as much as current day fuji cameras, but no matter, the image quality was very, very good.

I have no idea why 'you' do anything. The hs is probably a better camera in all regards except...image quality.  IMAGE QUALITY!!!!

if you find any of my comments insulting...then so be it, they were not meant to insult...only to state my opinion of some possible reasons as to why you hold this very flawed assessment of the S100fs' image quality.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,317
Like?

Peter71951 wrote:

Hello Lloydy,

Peter

LOL! You should try stand up.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads