Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
MrMotivations
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?
In reply to Mickey LeBeau, Mar 29, 2013

I enjoyed your samples Mickey.. I thought I'd throw in an X10 night shot for an unscientific comparison. My X10 has the downloaded firmware changes.

ACDsee edited

-- hide signature --

MrMotivations

MrMotivations's gear list:MrMotivations's gear list
ACDSee Pro 5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

Mickey, you are probably a very good photographer and the comments I made were not aimed at you or your skills. The problem is that the X20 is simply not capable of taking good, sharp, clean images no matter who takes them. When I compare imagines (any of them) taken from the X20, they do not even come close to pictures taken from my almost 3 year old, 10MP Canon G12.

Seattle sky line

Same location

I would not trade my G12 for the X20 because I feel it takes great images, every time, even with default camera settings.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,166Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking at P7100 samples
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Mar 29, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

I have been reading rather conflicting comments and opinions from actual users so far and to be honest I have not yet seen sample images to impress me for a camera being launched with such clout.

As I wrote in the original posting of this thread, I was looking for evidence that the X20 image quality is considerably better than the IQ of its competitors. Sure I understand that its technology and specifications are higher than most of the others, but the question I put to myself is: "Will I (with the X20) get an IQ improvement worth my $600 over an older model of one of the better compacts of another brand? I do appreciate other nice and handy features of the X20 but I am concentrating on IQ for the moment.

I have recently posted some pictures from the 'lowly' P7100 in the Nikon forum and I chose 2 of them to make crops and show them here. The full thread is at:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51163241

All P7100 pics were jpegs sooc (some cropping in some). I feel that the clarity of detail and jpeg processing of the P7100 appears to be better than the X20, or at least not so much worse to suggest a worthy improvement by buying the X20. See for yourselves and give me your comments. Remember that we are only talking about IQ at this stage.

Crop from middle right of full image

Crop from center-bottom of full image

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

The first to seem out of focus

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,271Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Mar 29, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

I have been reading rather conflicting comments and opinions from actual users so far and to be honest I have not yet seen sample images to impress me for a camera being launched with such clout.

As I wrote in the original posting of this thread, I was looking for evidence that the X20 image quality is considerably better than the IQ of its competitors. Sure I understand that its technology and specifications are higher than most of the others, but the question I put to myself is: "Will I (with the X20) get an IQ improvement worth my $600 over an older model of one of the better compacts of another brand? I do appreciate other nice and handy features of the X20 but I am concentrating on IQ for the moment.

I have recently posted some pictures from the 'lowly' P7100 in the Nikon forum and I chose 2 of them to make crops and show them here. The full thread is at:

All P7100 pics were jpegs sooc (some cropping in some). I feel that the clarity of detail and jpeg processing of the P7100 appears to be better than the X20, or at least not so much worse to suggest a worthy improvement by buying the X20. See for yourselves and give me your comments. Remember that we are only talking about IQ at this stage.

Crop from center-bottom of full image

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

if you want a better idea...click original

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

wymjym's gear list:wymjym's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Mickey LeBeau
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrMotivations, Mar 29, 2013

MrMotivations wrote:

I enjoyed your samples Mickey.. I thought I'd throw in an X10 night shot for an unscientific comparison. My X10 has the downloaded firmware changes.

ACDsee edited

-- hide signature --

MrMotivations

Nice shot MrMOotivations and thank you for the encouragement :-).

I've made 2 Movie "observations" about the X20:

1) In Full HD (60fps), the maximum movie clip length is 14 minutes max (Owner's Manual p132). All you get with a larger SD card is more of those short clips (I.E. 16GB gives 52 min = 3+ clips).

2) I've transferred pictures to the MAC via USB, but I've been unable to download a 3.7G movie...

Mickey LeBeau's gear list:Mickey LeBeau's gear list
Fujifilm X20
argyrotype
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?

Sunshine---what are those ruins???

-- hide signature --

the photographer formerly known as 'Kallitype'

Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,505Gear list
Like?
In reply to argyrotype, Mar 29, 2013

argyrotype wrote:

Sunshine---what are those ruins???

It is the site of Khirokitia, an archaeological settlement in Cyprus dating back to 7000 B.C. and listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, known as one of the most important and best preserved prehistoric sites found today.

You can read and see more in my posting in the Nikon forum

For more info see Wikipedia or Google 'Khirokitia' or 'Choirokitia'

Greetings

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to Grobb, Mar 29, 2013

tron555 wrote:

Mickey, you are probably a very good photographer and the comments I made were not aimed at you or your skills. The problem is that the X20 is simply not capable of taking good, sharp, clean images no matter who takes them. When I compare imagines (any of them) taken from the X20, they do not even come close to pictures taken from my almost 3 year old, 10MP Canon G12.

Seattle sky line

Same location

I would not trade my G12 for the X20 because I feel it takes great images, every time, even with default camera settings.

Wrong forum! Please visit the Panasonic forum!

Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,505Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Mar 29, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

I honestly don't think so Joel. If you look in original mode at the cropped image, you can clearly see the fine wire mesh of the fence behind the tree. Also, the reason I chose that part to crop was to show how foliage is shown by the P7100 engine which to me appears better than the X20 (or at least not worse). The distance to that tree was about 50m.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
MrMotivations
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?

I'm not at all familiar with Macs.  I apologize for such a basic question, but did you load the CD that came with the camera into you Mac?  That's a practice I seldom use, but with the new sensors, it may be a viable option until the decoders figure how to work with the Xtrans sensors.

-- hide signature --

MrMotivations

MrMotivations's gear list:MrMotivations's gear list
ACDSee Pro 5
depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
Mine's packed for return

My X20 is going back. Perhaps I got a bad example, but I could not find any place, except for RAW files that are readable by third-party software and a slight increase in focus speed, that the X20 was an improvement over the X10 in my way of shooting (and the jpegs were worse, by a lot). It seems aimed at a different market. Or it could be that after some firmware upgrades all the issues will be gone. But $600 is two-thirds of a D-7000 and half of a D-7100, after all. So mine's all packed up, label is printed and affixed, and it will be getting back on the big brown truck.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't be embarassed....Sunshine

Sunshine_boy wrote:

danny_only wrote:

Ha ha, Sunshine,

Waiting to knock down another post F30 Fuji cameras again? I bought a MX-2 cellphone last month, dirt cheap, US$385, camera okay, but the LCD display is stunning, it is going to replace my F200, not to mention my F200 replaced F30. Cell phone camera tech is advancing.

I have not tried the X-20 yet, but so far the pictures on the net are very good to me, I may get a silver body X-20 when it drops to US#384 to replace my MX-2. So nostalgic.

Hi Danny, good to hear from you.. 

You've got a suspicious mind!... I have no intention or inclination to run down any Fuji products. No skin off my nose. I am fairly happy with my P7100 and I don't give a damn if Fuji manage to regain their good name or not. I have been very frustrated with their antics since the F31 but not any more.

Having said that, if the X20 proves to perform as one would expect (going by its paper specs), then I would be inclined towards buying it after a few months at a better price than its launch price. And I really hope that it marks a turning point for Fuji compacts. So far, I have not seen much in posted samples to indicate it can clearly do more than its competitors but it may be too early to draw firm conclusions. Hence this thread.

Users here are much more reliable to give an honest opinion based on their own experience than sites all over the web that may well serve their own interests instead of their readers'. I hope this thread eventually presents a good, honest account of the cam's pros and cons against initial expectations for the benefit of all.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

many of us all come here to praise and/or to bash cameras for fun or to seek the ultimate meaning of Existential nihilism. Read some books of  Albert Camus, you will see what I mean.

I have to confess that I don't come here for the answer of Existential nihilism, so it is perfectly okay for you to bash any cameras here 

I actually enjoyed those posts you posted, as a non-English speaker, I learned a lot of English words from you, honest I did. Such as those 2 below.

X100 - Gullible people putting cart before horse?...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36431479

Fuji Quandary

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37090840

I also learned these words and English phrases from other posters here as well, very educational forum.

Vendetta, decorum, tongue in cheek ....

Back to cameras, the F45 is actually a perfect F3x successor, for Fujifilm crippled it for marketing purposes, shame. It produced all round better pictures. The F100 is already the camera of no return to F3x camera, not to mention the F200exr, a really nice camera with stunning Dynamic Range which I need when shooting city nightscapes (please note, I also own Pentax DSLR and M4/3 cameras), many camera shop sales here using F200exr themselves. You can ignore my opinion, but Hugo, Nico and NickPix all praised the F200exr, they are excellent photographers, their opinions count. It got a highly recommended rating from dpreview. Check Kim's latest review on HS50 and F900exr - part 4, the 4 years old camera is showing its age, but still not bad.

The X-10 is indeed disappointing before the change of sensor, but I really didn't like the way the customers being treated that way and I think Fujifilm had paid the price. I hope the X-20 is a good camera and you will buy one.

Have a nice day, I am returning to my hibernation again.

I wish you well and your country a speedy recovery from current economy status. We also need improvement in economy in this part of my world, Middle Class is diminishing.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
tazmac
Like?

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

I honestly don't think so Joel. If you look in original mode at the cropped image, you can clearly see the fine wire mesh of the fence behind the tree. Also, the reason I chose that part to crop was to show how foliage is shown by the P7100 engine which to me appears better than the X20 (or at least not worse). The distance to that tree was about 50m.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

These are actually looking good!

tazmac
Like?
Re: Mine's packed for return
In reply to depscribe, Mar 29, 2013

depscribe wrote:

My X20 is going back. Perhaps I got a bad example, but I could not find any place, except for RAW files that are readable by third-party software and a slight increase in focus speed, that the X20 was an improvement over the X10 in my way of shooting (and the jpegs were worse, by a lot). It seems aimed at a different market. Or it could be that after some firmware upgrades all the issues will be gone. But $600 is two-thirds of a D-7000 and half of a D-7100, after all. So mine's all packed up, label is printed and affixed, and it will be getting back on the big brown truck.

-- hide signature --

Hmm I thought the X20 is not a DSLR... You must be grown up to make your own decisions... 

depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine's packed for return
In reply to tazmac, Mar 29, 2013

My X10 isn't a DSLR, either, and I just happily shot an event with it. The results (12mp OOC jpegs, btw) were far superior to those of the X20.

I'm sure you had some other point, but it did not make it through the snark.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
Matt123776
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, Mar 29, 2013

Maybe I'm just lucky or my expectations weren't high enough but I haven't really had too many issues at all. Okay so a few posters think colours are a bit washed out and some instances I'd agree but mainly in super bright conditions.

The panorama function is clunky to me with the camera throwing up errors. If you can manage to get one captured, its not perfect but certainly not the worst I've seen.

Indoor shooting seems to be okay so far and certainly no complaints. Im comparing to Panasonic LX series and Oly XZ-1 which have smaller sensors but it outperformed them both - as it should have.

Macro is great and so far has exceeded my expectations.

Build quality is great and no complaints here but a higher resolution LCD would be good.

Video was also nice but a card issue (write speed) prevented me from recording more than 5 or so seconds.

All in all I was pleased and the X20 exceeded what I expected. Like any camera, it has its ups and downs but which camera has ever been completely perfect across the board? Each user shoots differently and will no doubt find something not suited to their needs.

I wouldn't take the sample shots to be gospel for the camera as I haven't anything come out that poorly. As I said, maybe I'm lucky.

I've posted some sample shots from mine in the X series thread for those wanting to see some samples.

Mickey LeBeau
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to Grobb, Mar 29, 2013

tron555 wrote:

Seattle sky line

Same location

No offence taken Tron and I probably missed you comments :-). I'm am very new to digital photography, although I used to have a B&W darkroom with friends. I'm just hope that by sharing a few samples, me and others learn more about the camera...

So in that "light" (pun intended):

OOC Fine

Mickey LeBeau's gear list:Mickey LeBeau's gear list
Fujifilm X20
inglysh
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

Yes. It has met my expectations. I can take photo's of my "son's" lego minifigures and they turn out totally OK. Alright, they are really my lego minifigures I just let him play with them every now and then.

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Return it before it is too late!

I’m glad you did not take offense to my critique of your images. I was hoping the X20 and its new senor would have been what all the media hype and promises from Fuji claimed it would be. I’m looking to upgrade my G12 someday, but after reviewing all the images taken from it so far, I don’t see any improvement over my present camera, quite the contrary. When I see all the smeared images, low detail, water colored areas, I can’t believe so many Fuji fans are still sticking up for it so adamantly. For a $600 P&S, people should be able to just turn it on, point it and shoot acceptable pictures without going through all the trials and tribulations people are going through. As I have said before, life is too short for settling for sub standard images, shooting only RAW, PP’ing every image to death to get less than mediocre pictures. If that hurts new X20 owners feeling, too bad, return the camera before it is too late, or simply deal with low IQ pictures!

2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265
Like?
In reply to Mickey LeBeau, Mar 30, 2013

Mickey LeBeau wrote:

No offence taken Tron and I probably missed you comments :-). I'm am very new to digital photography, although I used to have a B&W darkroom with friends. I'm just hope that by sharing a few samples, me and others learn more about the camera...

So in that "light" (pun intended):

OOC Fine

I've been quite interested in the X20 too but Tron is quite right. Look at all the smearing in trees in the middle right of the image above when you view it at 100%. It looks awful - and this is ISO100 we are talking about.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads