Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,498Gear list
Like?
Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?
Mar 27, 2013

I have been reading rather conflicting comments and opinions from actual users so far and to be honest I have not yet seen sample images to impress me for a camera being launched with such clout.

So my direct question to X20 users is: Did you really get what you were expecting to get? If not, where would you say the camera (or Fuji) failed you?

Also, having tried the X20, do you think it'is worth its price or would you rather have gone for the X10 or some other model or brand?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
Visit my website for lots of pics and fun...
www.sunshine-web.com
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?
In reply to Sunshine_boy, Mar 27, 2013

Sunshine_boy wrote:

I have been reading rather conflicting comments and opinions from actual users so far and to be honest I have not yet seen sample images to impress me for a camera being launched with such clout.

So my direct question to X20 users is: Did you really get what you were expecting to get? If not, where would you say the camera (or Fuji) failed you?

Also, having tried the X20, do you think it'is worth its price or would you rather have gone for the X10 or some other model or brand?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

I am perfectly happy with everything other than short battery life.  There are small quirks, like, I would like a normal on/off button.  I wish it would be slightly cheaper.  I wish there was a fn2 button since certain things not covered in Q menu, I would like to be able to assign to fn button.   Other than that it is a fantastic camera.  Having a real optical viewfinder is a treat.

I tried all the others from RX100 to Canon S100.  Well I am lying, I have not tried LX7, but I did own LX3 for extensive period.   So far i am happy with X20 and not planning to get rid of it soon.   I think it the most compelling compact camera I've ever owned.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?

Ha ha, Sunshine,

Waiting to knock down another post F30 Fuji cameras again? I bought a MX-2 cellphone last month, dirt cheap, US$385, camera okay, but the LCD display is stunning, it is going to replace my F200, not to mention my F200 replaced F30. Cell phone camera tech is advancing.

I have not tried the X-20 yet, but so far the pictures on the net are very good to me, I may get a silver body X-20 when it drops to US#384 to replace my MX-2. So nostalgic.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
xchert
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, Mar 27, 2013

Just got mine today!  After immediately getting the battery charging, I set to look over the X20 in great detail, and started reading the manual.  I didn't even let it charge fully because I wanted to take advantage of some nice late afternoon sun.  I threaded on the Marumi 40mm filter I had at the ready, and set out to try out the X20 in my yard.  So far so good!  Feels great in the hand, the OVF is terrific, MF with focus peaking seems pretty good.  I notice that in M mode, the OVF has up and down arrows that do tell you something about metering.  I don't see that explained in the manual but it's great to have.  (Question: why isn't it available in A or S modes as well?)  Image quality: too soon to say!  Some shots seem to have excellent IQ, but not all.  I took a couple of videos that look and sound good.  Will post more in a few days or so, but for now the X20 has easily met my expectations.

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to xchert, Mar 27, 2013

xchert wrote:

Just got mine today!  After immediately getting the battery charging, I set to look over the X20 in great detail, and started reading the manual.  I didn't even let it charge fully because I wanted to take advantage of some nice late afternoon sun.  I threaded on the Marumi 40mm filter I had at the ready, and set out to try out the X20 in my yard.   \

so 40.5 UV filter can fit on the lens without adapter?

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Derek49
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

Don't think so but OP says he used 40mm which fits OK

Derek49's gear list:Derek49's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +5 more
xchert
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

xchert wrote:

Just got mine today!  After immediately getting the battery charging, I set to look over the X20 in great detail, and started reading the manual.  I didn't even let it charge fully because I wanted to take advantage of some nice late afternoon sun.  I threaded on the Marumi 40mm filter I had at the ready, and set out to try out the X20 in my yard.   \

so 40.5 UV filter can fit on the lens without adapter?

The Marumi is 40mm, not 40.5.  They claim the X20 (and X10) are actually 40.3, but that the 40mm is what gives  a good fit.  I agree, the fit is excellent.  Others have found that 40.5mm filters are too loose.  BTW, the Marumi they (2filter) sell now is not UV, but clear and thinner and lower reflection.

Luc de Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

I tried all the others from RX100 to Canon S100.  Well I am lying, I have not tried LX7, but I did own LX3 for extensive period.   So far i am happy with X20 and not planning to get rid of it soon.   I think it the most compelling compact camera I've ever owned.

In what aspects do you consider the X20 to be a better camera than the LX3?

I'm also interested in lens sharpness; corners at 28mm and center at 112mm/f2.8. And noise and detail (smearing) at base iso. Thanks for additional info!

ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
In reply to Luc de Schepper, Mar 27, 2013

I picked one up for my wife.  She will likely shoot all the time in Program mode with or without the flash and never care about anything.  She will be happy.

I'm shooting with an assortment of cameras ( film and digital) with a FF 5DMkIII as my main camera.  The X20 is a very capable little camera that so far is a lot of fun.  The sensor size is its main limiting factor.  I'll use it when I want to be unobtrusive with a camera.  I shoot a lot in black and white (I'm thinking in black and white when shooting).  The x20 holds up well so far up to an iso of 1600 for black and white.

Here is a test shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/8580643943/in/photostream/lightbox/

My wife and I are leaving for a 6 week road trip soon and it will get a lot of use in her hands.

Richard

pookeyblow
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to xchert, Mar 27, 2013

xchert wrote:

Just got mine today!  After immediately getting the battery charging, I set to look over the X20 in great detail, and started reading the manual.  I didn't even let it charge fully because I wanted to take advantage of some nice late afternoon sun.  I threaded on the Marumi 40mm filter I had at the ready, and set out to try out the X20 in my yard.  So far so good!  Feels great in the hand, the OVF is terrific, MF with focus peaking seems pretty good.  I notice that in M mode, the OVF has up and down arrows that do tell you something about metering.  I don't see that explained in the manual but it's great to have.  (Question: why isn't it available in A or S modes as well?)  Image quality: too soon to say!  Some shots seem to have excellent IQ, but not all.  I took a couple of videos that look and sound good.  Will post more in a few days or so, but for now the X20 has easily met my expectations.

Are you able to upload some HD video samples for us? Wondering if I should buy it or not..
Thanks!

Mickey LeBeau
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

Well I just got my Black X20 YESTERDAY at Camera Land in New York City, so this is a very "early review". I read the first few chapters of the included printed manual, charged the battery and went to Astoria park. I set it to SR+ which I believe is the most automated mode and took some night shots. The camera chose settings that I wouldn't have considered at this point: like combining 4 quick exposures into 1. I haven't had a chance to upload examples yet, but would be happy to do so :-).

I've observed, (but haven't read anywhere) that the the lens barrel crops out of view just past "35mm"... It does obscure a bit of the lower right corner corner from 28mm until that point, but it didn't bother me.

Overall the build quality seems super-solid, sleek and beautiful! This is my first post, so please be gentle.

Mickey LeBeau's gear list:Mickey LeBeau's gear list
Fujifilm X20
depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?

As with most things Fuji, the hardware seems fine and the camera will be, too, once they get the software sorted. There are two things about it which ruin the shooting experience for me (and as an X10 and X100 user I'm accustomed to the alternatives): First, there is no focus area indication whatsoever until the shutter is half pressed, whereupon it delivers some off Fujified definition of where it thinks or hopes you intended to focus. Yes, this is in area mode, round-object "face" mode off, and so on. An area focus box with infinity parallax setting, ala the X100 in OVF mode was expected and I'm mortified it was not delivered. Others have commented on this. It is something one ought to be able to expect if it's a camera meant for serious use. Second, I'm accustomed to shooting through the viewfinder, glancing at the LCD to make sure I got the picture, then pushing the shutter release halfway to turn off the LCD and return t shooting mode. This is impossible with the X20 -- instead, the choices are to use the LCD all the time, use the OVF all the time, or use rthe eyeball mode, which has the LCD on when one's face isn't against the camera. This of course has a detrimental effect on battery life. Why a perfectly useful feature was removed I do not know. I suppose it is to highlight the fact that with its eyeball detection technology the Fuji Photo Film Company has mastered something available at every grocery store entrance since the 1950s . . . which is to say that it's not that impressive. I turned it off in my X100 and I've turned it off with my X20. Now, if they'd restore a user-configurable review-on-LCD mode and give us a pre-focus focus area indication in the viewfinder, the camera would be *almost* perfect.

Almost? The jury is still out on OOC jpegs. So far I think they are about equal to those of the X10 and the LX-5. Which is nice, but not necessarily something to brag about. They can do better. But again, Fujis are measured after the second firmware update. I do wish I'd waited for that.

Made to test the X20 for its suitability in photographing the Easter Triduum in the coming days. It is, I think, marginally superior to the X10 in some respects, but it still may not be as good as the LX-5 with the little clip-on electronic viewfinder in this kind of photography. But I'm not sure that any camera surpasses the LX-5 in this kind of situation. This was shot in program mode with auto white balance.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

I am perfectly happy with everything other than short battery life.  There are small quirks, like, I would like a normal on/off button.  I wish it would be slightly cheaper.  I wish there was a fn2 button since certain things not covered in Q menu, I would like to be able to assign to fn button.   Other than that it is a fantastic camera.  Having a real optical viewfinder is a treat.

IN Jpeg mode, did you find any watercolor effect or smearing from the images for ISO 100-800?

Mickey LeBeau
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mickey LeBeau, Mar 27, 2013

SR+ mode OOC

Mickey LeBeau's gear list:Mickey LeBeau's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Sunshine_boy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,498Gear list
Like?
In reply to danny_only, Mar 27, 2013

danny_only wrote:

Ha ha, Sunshine,

Waiting to knock down another post F30 Fuji cameras again? I bought a MX-2 cellphone last month, dirt cheap, US$385, camera okay, but the LCD display is stunning, it is going to replace my F200, not to mention my F200 replaced F30. Cell phone camera tech is advancing.

I have not tried the X-20 yet, but so far the pictures on the net are very good to me, I may get a silver body X-20 when it drops to US#384 to replace my MX-2. So nostalgic.

Hi Danny, good to hear from you.. 

You've got a suspicious mind!... I have no intention or inclination to run down any Fuji products. No skin off my nose. I am fairly happy with my P7100 and I don't give a damn if Fuji manage to regain their good name or not. I have been very frustrated with their antics since the F31 but not any more.

Having said that, if the X20 proves to perform as one would expect (going by its paper specs), then I would be inclined towards buying it after a few months at a better price than its launch price. And I really hope that it marks a turning point for Fuji compacts. So far, I have not seen much in posted samples to indicate it can clearly do more than its competitors but it may be too early to draw firm conclusions. Hence this thread.

Users here are much more reliable to give an honest opinion based on their own experience than sites all over the web that may well serve their own interests instead of their readers'. I hope this thread eventually presents a good, honest account of the cam's pros and cons against initial expectations for the benefit of all.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
www.sunshine-web.com

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60
horsth
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
In reply to depscribe, Mar 27, 2013

..... it delivers some off Fujified definition of where it thinks or hopes you intended to focus...

sorry, but in my opinion this is wrong. Instead the focus indication shows where in fact you have focused, allowing for the paralax-error. This is absolutely perfect and gives you the possibility to correct after the half press for the paralax failure that is inherent in any OVF-system. Absolutely super. This is for instance very easily accomplished, if you set in the learning phase the focus point allways to the middle position of the matrix.

I had the X10 and have now the X20. The X20 plays in a different (higher) league. 12MP IQ is now superb from raw. For OOC-JPGs one must find just the prefered settings. The viewfinder is now really usable (see above comments), the lens correction in the wide position is good now. No compression any more. There are a lot of further inprovements which make functionality and the handling better.

horsth's gear list:horsth's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
depscribe
Like?
In reply to horsth, Mar 27, 2013

I've has this particular micturation contest elsewhere and do not intend to rehearse it with you. I'm happy for you that you find it "perfect." I do not. The question is whether it has met or failed to meet my expectations and in the areas I described, it failed, even as it appears to have met yours.

-- hide signature --
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573Gear list
Like?

depscribe wrote:

As with most things Fuji, the hardware seems fine and the camera will be, too, once they get the software sorted. There are two things about it which ruin the shooting experience for me (and as an X10 and X100 user I'm accustomed to the alternatives): First, there is no focus area indication whatsoever until the shutter is half pressed, whereupon it delivers some off Fujified definition of where it thinks or hopes you intended to focus. Yes, this is in area mode, round-object "face" mode off, and so on. An area focus box with infinity parallax setting, ala the X100 in OVF mode was expected and I'm mortified it was not delivered. Others have commented on this. It is something one ought to be able to expect if it's a camera meant for serious use. Second, I'm accustomed to shooting through the viewfinder, glancing at the LCD to make sure I got the picture, then pushing the shutter release halfway to turn off the LCD and return t shooting mode. This is impossible with the X20 -- instead, the choices are to use the LCD all the time, use the OVF all the time, or use rthe eyeball mode, which has the LCD on when one's face isn't against the camera. This of course has a detrimental effect on battery life. Why a perfectly useful feature was removed I do not know. I suppose it is to highlight the fact that with its eyeball detection technology the Fuji Photo Film Company has mastered something available at every grocery store entrance since the 1950s . . . which is to say that it's not that impressive. I turned it off in my X100 and I've turned it off with my X20. Now, if they'd restore a user-configurable review-on-LCD mode and give us a pre-focus focus area indication in the viewfinder, the camera would be *almost* perfect.

Almost? The jury is still out on OOC jpegs. So far I think they are about equal to those of the X10 and the LX-5. Which is nice, but not necessarily something to brag about. They can do better. But again, Fujis are measured after the second firmware update. I do wish I'd waited for that.

Made to test the X20 for its suitability in photographing the Easter Triduum in the coming days. It is, I think, marginally superior to the X10 in some respects, but it still may not be as good as the LX-5 with the little clip-on electronic viewfinder in this kind of photography. But I'm not sure that any camera surpasses the LX-5 in this kind of situation. This was shot in program mode with auto white balance.

-- hide signature --

Do you consider this sepia effect a good example of AWB? Or is this another minor quirk that would bother only the amateur snapshooters, not the pros like you.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
horsth
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?

No contest, really. I just wanted to provide my personal understanding of the OVFs-functionality.

horsth's gear list:horsth's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
depscribe
Like?
In reply to DS21, Mar 27, 2013

No, I'm not very happy with the AWB as illustrated in the picture I posted. To be fair, it is a difficult place to shoot. But here's the same place, same lighting (bishop, not priest, though that scarcely matters) with the X10. I did apply a tiny bit of correction in the GIMP with this one -- but the one I posted previously did not want to bend easily to correction, so it seems as if the AWB has been rejiggered some way. The X10 picture:

Not especially sharp, but that's my fault.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads