NEX 6 - I could kick myself!

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: DPR Doesn't Think It's Perfect?
In reply to Annex, Mar 27, 2013

Annex wrote:

A lot of the "user interface is bad" comments in reviews are simply because most of the reviewers have learnt using canikon and they are hardcoded to believe that that is the *right* way.

In truth if you have used both *and persevered* it's pretty simple to see that both approaches have pluses and minuses, its just a learning curve between the 2.

For me the fn and assignable NEX wheels are pretty awesome for 99% of the shooting I do (A or S priority mostly with MF). It may not work for people to shoot other ways (eg 100% full manual exposure with AF) but for me I do massive amounts less menu diving on the NEX.

The problem is just that canikon are so embedded that even reviewers who are trying to be objective are unconsciously biased towards the status quo.

That's the problem, though. Everything but the 7 only has one assignable wheel, so you can really only change one setting without having to press a button. This goes for most digital cameras that come in under the $1000 line...all of the Oly m4/3 models except the E-Px and OM-D, all of the current Panny models except the SLR-style cameras, any Canon below the 60D, any Nikon below the D7000, etc etc. So what a reviewer's rating of any of those cameras comes down to is basically "how many buttons do I have to press before I get to that setting" and "how annoying are the menus along the way." It has nothing to do with the brand on which you were raised, but is more reliant on the fairly objective idea that the faster you can get to important settings, the better a camera's user interface can be rated. Unless, of course, those wheels are all in bizarre unreachable positions.

Now, if you're writing a more comparative review, it'd be fairer to say something like "the NEX-6's user interface is an improvement over the 5n and easier to use than [insert comparable other-brand camera here]. But it's still not as good as the NEX-7's, or [insert other brand's NEX-7-level camera here]." A reviewer definitely shouldn't be saying "The NEX-6's interface sucks" with no context.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 6 - I could kick myself!
In reply to lmtfa, Mar 27, 2013

I think that most of the criticism has been directed to how the review provided its rating rather than how the camera actually perform.

OTOH, one of the real problems is that many tech buyers are more focused on the gear they own rather than the actual use of it (in this case, taking pictures). So, checking the length of the bars becomes more important than enjoying the pictures they're capable to take.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Annex
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 27, 2013

cptrios wrote:

Annex wrote:

A lot of the "user interface is bad" comments in reviews are simply because most of the reviewers have learnt using canikon and they are hardcoded to believe that that is the *right* way.

In truth if you have used both *and persevered* it's pretty simple to see that both approaches have pluses and minuses, its just a learning curve between the 2.

For me the fn and assignable NEX wheels are pretty awesome for 99% of the shooting I do (A or S priority mostly with MF). It may not work for people to shoot other ways (eg 100% full manual exposure with AF) but for me I do massive amounts less menu diving on the NEX.

The problem is just that canikon are so embedded that even reviewers who are trying to be objective are unconsciously biased towards the status quo.

That's the problem, though. Everything but the 7 only has one assignable wheel, so you can really only change one setting without having to press a button. This goes for most digital cameras that come in under the $1000 line...all of the Oly m4/3 models except the E-Px and OM-D, all of the current Panny models except the SLR-style cameras, any Canon below the 60D, any Nikon below the D7000, etc etc. So what a reviewer's rating of any of those cameras comes down to is basically "how many buttons do I have to press before I get to that setting" and "how annoying are the menus along the way." It has nothing to do with the brand on which you were raised, but is more reliant on the fairly objective idea that the faster you can get to important settings, the better a camera's user interface can be rated. Unless, of course, those wheels are all in bizarre unreachable positions.

Now, if you're writing a more comparative review, it'd be fairer to say something like "the NEX-6's user interface is an improvement over the 5n and easier to use than [insert comparable other-brand camera here]. But it's still not as good as the NEX-7's, or [insert other brand's NEX-7-level camera here]." A reviewer definitely shouldn't be saying "The NEX-6's interface sucks" with no context.

There's the back wheel too (hence the dual/tri navi moniker) also I dont find the fn + key to be a bad alternative and either way its more flexible than the "every control has an independant wheel" philosophy.

Maybe its just me, I've grown up with technology and I'm used to learning new systems. I get the feeling that some of the less tech savvy photgs are just used to a "this is the way X has to work" viewpoint and aren't receptive to change.

Annex's gear list:Annex's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
franzel
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?

Annex wrote:

I have used both, and still do, and many more . Which makes about as much sense as what you said above .

There is no Canikon approach, but there are a number of different camera UIs, which are fairly similar , including some of Sony's .

Now why would cameras from different manufacturers have such similar controls and software , ever since there were cameras ?

Maybe it's because using a camera isn't rocket science, the relative importance of certain controls is the same on my Sinar and my Canon - and my Nexs - and the shortest way from A to B is still a straight line .

No matter what model, the Nex UI sucks; it's not different by any means, it's just worse . It's often erratic in layout and control assignment, some of the more important features are hidden, some poorly implemented, some bundled together without sense, and so forth .

Anti-shake menu placement, MF-AF combo function, forced MF enlargement, timer/remote bundling, control wheel deactivations, to name a few .

You want to deactive IS , put the camera on a tripod and do an exposure bracket with your remote, or self-timer, cause your cheap china remote quit working again . Since the camera is on the tripod, you do a quick AF pre-focus, then adjust focus manually while also adjusting the framing. Depending on your Nex model and lens, neither of it will work at all or some of it will, but involve menu diving and choice language . Same when you are done and want to set everything back to regular walking-around mode .

Most DSLRs have much more complex functions, many more features, but there never was a 'learning curve' when I first used it . The Nex is simple by comparison, but much harder to use - the key word here is intuitive , the Nex just isn't .

For most amateurs, and some pros, any camera is a bit of a challenge, because they are not intimately familiar with photography; for them, there is no wrong or right way to use their gear, they just do what the UI designers want them to do .

For experienced photogs, there is efficient, and stupid . The Nex does the latter, and goes one further with some basic functions, adding unavailable .

And yes, the display must be made fully articulated .

cptrios
Like?

Annex wrote:

cptrios wrote:

Annex wrote:

There's the back wheel too (hence the dual/tri navi moniker) also I dont find the fn + key to be a bad alternative and either way its more flexible than the "every control has an independant wheel" philosophy.

Maybe its just me, I've grown up with technology and I'm used to learning new systems. I get the feeling that some of the less tech savvy photgs are just used to a "this is the way X has to work" viewpoint and aren't receptive to change.

You want to know something stupid? I did not realize that there was an extra adjustment wheel under the mode dial. I thought the rear wheel was the only wheel! That makes a big difference in my opinion of the NEX-6's control scheme. Still not as good as the 7's, but two wheels is miles better than one.

I do have to continue to disagree with you on the broader point...I think that a wheel for every function is almost by definition more flexible than a "one/two wheels and a Fn button" system. Provided, at least, that you can turn all of those wheels off if you choose. It really isn't a matter of not being able to adapt - it's a matter of having adapted already and finding the general NEX UI to be lacking.

Annex
Like?
In reply to franzel, Mar 27, 2013

franzel wrote:

Annex wrote:

I have used both, and still do, and many more . Which makes about as much sense as what you said above .

There is no Canikon approach, but there are a number of different camera UIs, which are fairly similar , including some of Sony's .

Now why would cameras from different manufacturers have such similar controls and software , ever since there were cameras ?

Maybe it's because using a camera isn't rocket science, the relative importance of certain controls is the same on my Sinar and my Canon - and my Nexs - and the shortest way from A to B is still a straight line .

No matter what model, the Nex UI sucks; it's not different by any means, it's just worse . It's often erratic in layout and control assignment, some of the more important features are hidden, some poorly implemented, some bundled together without sense, and so forth .

Anti-shake menu placement, MF-AF combo function, forced MF enlargement, timer/remote bundling, control wheel deactivations, to name a few .

You want to deactive IS , put the camera on a tripod and do an exposure bracket with your remote, or self-timer, cause your cheap china remote quit working again . Since the camera is on the tripod, you do a quick AF pre-focus, then adjust focus manually while also adjusting the framing. Depending on your Nex model and lens, neither of it will work at all or some of it will, but involve menu diving and choice language . Same when you are done and want to set everything back to regular walking-around mode .

Most DSLRs have much more complex functions, many more features, but there never was a 'learning curve' when I first used it . The Nex is simple by comparison, but much harder to use - the key word here is intuitive , the Nex just isn't .

For most amateurs, and some pros, any camera is a bit of a challenge, because they are not intimately familiar with photography; for them, there is no wrong or right way to use their gear, they just do what the UI designers want them to do .

For experienced photogs, there is efficient, and stupid . The Nex does the latter, and goes one further with some basic functions, adding unavailable .

And yes, the display must be made fully articulated .

Personally I dont find the menus a challenge, they're simple to use if you make the effort to learn them and its very rare you need to even enter them if you set the custom/fn buttons up properly for your shooting style.

Rant away about "cheap china remote controls" (what does that have to do with NEX UIs?) and the like, but technology moves on and the days of dedicated control buttons and wheels for each and every function are gone and "experienced photogs" (ha) will end up having to adapt.

If you can't handle the change fine, stay locked in and miss out on.

The rest of us will keep on shooting.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 6 - I could kick myself! ***YEAH - FOR WAITING SO LONG TO BUY IT!
In reply to docvale, Mar 27, 2013

Those with negative reactions to the review - especially the "silver" conclusion - are probably owners who depend on the affirmation of others more than they should. IMHO, if they need that affirmation, they could probably benefit more from therapy than a gear upgrade.

OTOH, those who revel in the review because it's 2-3 points less than the OM-D - and they ALWAYS knew they made a smarter choice with a micro 4/3rds - well, they need to book a few sessions with the therapist, too.

I read the preview. I checked out the RAW performance against the competition and my current camera - and it did precisely what I wanted it to do: Make it possible to use my Leica M mount lenses that had been gathering dust for >20 years. I went to B&H and checked out the EVF. It was all I hoped.

I have been thrilled with it. Yes, I wish the 16-50mm kit lens was faster. Yes, I wish the battery life with heavy EVF use. Yes, I wish there was an AF superwide as fast as my Tokina 11-16 on my D7000. Most of all, I wish it had a mike input with different level settings, like on my D7000.

But to me, it's a shooter's dream. It's one of those cameras you can see yourself hanging onto even when you move up to the next you gotta-have offering.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
cptrios
Like?

Annex wrote:

Personally I dont find the menus a challenge, they're simple to use if you make the effort to learn them and its very rare you need to even enter them if you set the custom/fn buttons up properly for your shooting style.

Rant away about "cheap china remote controls" (what does that have to do with NEX UIs?) and the like, but technology moves on and the days of dedicated control buttons and wheels for each and every function are gone and "experienced photogs" (ha) will end up having to adapt.

The days of dedicated control buttons and wheels for each and every function are not gone, and it's odd to consider all of that "outdated" in some way. Why wouldn't you want everything available at the touch of a fingertip? Look at the NEX-7, or the entire Fuji X lineup, or even something like the Canon S90/95/100/etc series. All of them have more than your average number of control wheels, and that's a big draw for lots of people.

I'm not an "experienced photog" in any other sense than that I've been taking (largely unimpressive) photos for a while...but I've used tons and tons of cameras. I grew up on junky film P&Ss, then decent digital P&Ss, so I was actually pretty much raised on the sort of basic control schemes that we see on the lower-end NEX bodies now. After about 6 months with my first DSLR (a Canon 450D), I started salivating over the prosumer model (at that point the 40D)...not for the extra fps, or the sensor (it was an older, lower-res one in fact), but for the extra control wheel and the focus-point selecting joystick. I'd never had that many manual controls, and was therefore not "used to them," but I wanted them so badly that I bought a used 40D less than 8 months after I'd bought that first DSLR. And it was great!

I now use a NEX-7 and a Fuji X100. I prefer the control layout of the X100, as I love having an aperture ring and I really like the fact that "PASM" modes are set using independent settings (i.e. turning the aperture ring to "A" for Av mode) rather than a mode dial. But I think it's a bit too retro, as I don't particularly like the traditional, set-detent shutter speed dial.

So no, I don't think that the simplification of controls is "progress." I think it's simplification for the sake of delineating the boundaries between camera models. If someone produced a car with one pedal, and you had to press a Fn button to switch between Gas and Brake, I doubt lots of people would be saying "hah, you old fogeys just don't get it. One-pedal cars are the future!"

If Sony came to you and offered to install a third control wheel on your NEX-6, free of charge - would you really say "No thanks, Sony. That'd just be needlessly old-fashioned?"

lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
In reply to Akai Suddeth, Mar 28, 2013

Akai Suddeth wrote:

This whole thread had me literally laughing out loud. I am seriously considering getting the Nex 6 as I have put a lot of miles on my 5n, which still works great.

You and the majority of the reply's posted get the essence of my post. I'm not mocking my camera, the NEX 6, turn each negative into a positive. I'm being sarcastic towards the remarks on these items made by the dpreview reviewers.

This is the first camera since I purchased the Nikon D700 that I enjoy using. In fact I use the 6 daily, for the fun of it. DPreview put this review out nearly 6 months after its release. I and others have been using the 6 for many many months and disagree with some of the cons pointed out by the reviewers. Why? Because we use it. The rating system matters to some and to others it could be a deal breaker, which is not fair. Not much present owners can do except to dispute what is written. Will prospective buyers believe me? No. They will lock focus on a reviewer that tested the camera in a laboratory with high tech equipment but didn't bother to sit on a bench in the park and analyze those photos. I thought my post was rather whimsical. Thanks for taking my post in a humorous way. I think I made my point, don't believe everything you read.

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Annex
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 28, 2013

cptrios wrote:

Annex wrote:

If Sony came to you and offered to install a third control wheel on your NEX-6, free of charge - would you really say "No thanks, Sony. That'd just be needlessly old-fashioned?"

No, it would be great (and thats what the 7 is).

However, another control wheel would be another *customisable* control wheel (ie not dedicated). I'm all in favor of extra customisable controls (within reason) but dedicated controls (ie this wheel ONLY controls iso) are on the way out imo.

cptrios
Like?
In reply to Annex, Mar 28, 2013

Annex wrote:

cptrios wrote:

Annex wrote:

However, another control wheel would be another *customisable* control wheel (ie not dedicated). I'm all in favor of extra customisable controls (within reason) but dedicated controls (ie this wheel ONLY controls iso) are on the way out imo.

Aaah, well that's totally different. I'm with you there! (Though I am partial to a dedicated aperture ring.)

franzel
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?
In reply to Annex, Mar 28, 2013

Annex wrote:

cptrios wrote:

Control customization is the cat's meow, no doubt - just let someone design the software who knows photography, someone other than the Sony intern who's been doing the Nex UI in the past .

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,789
Like?
In reply to franzel, Mar 29, 2013

I thought the DPR review was pretty fair and reasonable overall.

They were a little harsh on the menus. On the other hand, all menus suck to one degree or another. But I think the NEX-6 menus suck far less than most.

When I migrated from a Nikon D200 to the NEX-6 I anticipated have issues adapting to a more menu driven camera. Ultimately, I was happily surprised at the ease with which I made the adjustment.

I think that to some extent, DPR judged the NEX-6 relative to a bunch of DSLR's (most probably because the reviewer has a lot of DSLR experience). It held up pretty well!

VelyC
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, Mar 29, 2013

lmtfa wrote:

I just new I and anyone who bought the 6 should have waited for the review to warn us of this crappy camera. I thought I was having fun, looking at colorful almost noise free images. My fingers lied to me, they told me I was changing settings with ease but no I was supposed to go through the menu's instead of that pesky Fn button that have the majority of the settings I use.  All this time has gone by without pressing that video button by accident, those two guys were right I did miss having that button ruin a shot or my being able to scratch the inside of my thumb, it tickled. The touch screen, now there's a major deal breaker. I mean, I missed my big fat oily finger prints on that screen, you know the nostalgia, remembering how a screen looked at Best Buy. Throw in Wi-Fi and a couple of bucks for apps let alone there will not be an upgraded 6 for quite awhile, no rumors of a 6fu is darn depressing. Thanks you two silly heads for the bad news, as soon as I get off the toilet seat I'm chucking that piece of junk.

-- hide signature --

Oh, so good. When I first your post (at 2am), I thought you were serious. Now, I just read it again (while actually awake) and realized you were being sarcastic. Awesome, really awesome! I was laughing so hard I nearly spat out the food that I was eating.

Well, I'm a noob at photography, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying the NEX-6. Here are a bunch of reviews that I read/watched that helped me decide on the NEX-6, all of which seemed to describe the camera in a better light than what DPReview concluded.

Ephotozine: 4-1/2 stars
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-nex-6-review-20566

Cnet: Editor's Choice
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-6/4505-6501_7-35437771.html

Digital Digest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgbD9qmRB2g

John Sison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWaquTzA-lQ

Digital Rev Com:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PunalPn_58

Steve Huff: Recommends the NEX-6 over the NEX-7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfaATG76tZM

VelyC's gear list:VelyC's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?

I for one like that the review didn't give the camera a Gold score and if it impacts Sony sales of the camera - even better.

Why? Because it would be a good lesson for them to listen to their customers and start fixing some of the most absurd and easily correctable choices they have made:

-No touch screen: very valid and big minus. And you EVF lovers don't bother arguing it. Anyway you put it - it would have been better to have it and disable it if you don't care then for the rest of us who want it not to have it at all.any of us would gladly spend another $50 just to get it.

-No max ISO setting: just a silly software tweak. Get of your butt Sony and do it - people want it.

-No Auto ISO in manual: what I said already re: butt

-No PDAF in movie and low light: really Sony on a mirrorless no PDAF in movie. And no PDAF in low light just where CDAF suffers the most.

-Zoom noise in video from 16-50 PZ. There is a thread on that...

I am sure many can add to this list. So Gold score please don't...they need to listen and respect their customers and remember that Gold requires them to really deliver.

lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
In reply to VelyC, Mar 29, 2013

VelyC wrote:

lmtfa wrote:

I just new I and anyone who bought the 6 should have waited for the review to warn us of this crappy camera. I thought I was having fun, looking at colorful almost noise free images. My fingers lied to me, they told me I was changing settings with ease but no I was supposed to go through the menu's instead of that pesky Fn button that have the majority of the settings I use.  All this time has gone by without pressing that video button by accident, those two guys were right I did miss having that button ruin a shot or my being able to scratch the inside of my thumb, it tickled. The touch screen, now there's a major deal breaker. I mean, I missed my big fat oily finger prints on that screen, you know the nostalgia, remembering how a screen looked at Best Buy. Throw in Wi-Fi and a couple of bucks for apps let alone there will not be an upgraded 6 for quite awhile, no rumors of a 6fu is darn depressing. Thanks you two silly heads for the bad news, as soon as I get off the toilet seat I'm chucking that piece of junk.

-- hide signature --

Oh, so good. When I first your post (at 2am), I thought you were serious. Now, I just read it again (while actually awake) and realized you were being sarcastic. Awesome, really awesome! I was laughing so hard I nearly spat out the food that I was eating.

Well, I'm a noob at photography, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying the NEX-6. Here are a bunch of reviews that I read/watched that helped me decide on the NEX-6, all of which seemed to describe the camera in a better light than what DPReview concluded.

Ephotozine: 4-1/2 stars
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-nex-6-review-20566

Cnet: Editor's Choice
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-6/4505-6501_7-35437771.html

Digital Digest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgbD9qmRB2g

John Sison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWaquTzA-lQ

Digital Rev Com:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PunalPn_58

Steve Huff: Recommends the NEX-6 over the NEX-7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfaATG76tZM

Thanks. Many didn't get it. Another reviewer you may like.

http://www.photographylife.com

Made my mind up after reading his review of the NEX 6

-- hide signature --

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
micdair
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

Seems like a fair review to me. I don't get it why some people think it's a negative one..."The NEX-6 earns a very solid silver award and only just misses out on a gold." All the cons seems legit, it is up to reader to decide which of these are important for him.

micdair's gear list:micdair's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090
Like?
In reply to micdair, Mar 29, 2013

micdair wrote:

Seems like a fair review to me. I don't get it why some people think it's a negative one..."The NEX-6 earns a very solid silver award and only just misses out on a gold." All the cons seems legit, it is up to reader to decide which of these are important for him.

That's because the "some people" you reference go straight to the conclusion page and see silver instead of gold without reading a word in between and jump to conclusions that, depending on their viewpoint, either enforces their belief that the camera sucks just like they thought/hoped/prayed it would or enforces their belief that DPReview is anti-Sony just like they thought/hoped/prayed they were.

What the "some people" don't realize is that the market has changed drastically since the 5N and the 7 received their golds, with other makers (especially Olympus and Fuji) coming out with stellar offerings. When I bought the 5N I truly believed it was the best option out there. Fast forward to now, and while I love my 5R and have zero regrets purchasing it, I can't say with certainty that I would have bought it had I not already had the 5N.

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169Gear list
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, Apr 1, 2013

agree. NEX-6 is disappointment when compared with previous NEX cameras. very bad implementation overall. not surprise why camera cost not too much. something wrong with website review than actual user reviews. make me scratch head.

kuruvi
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to jennyrae, Apr 1, 2013

I think NEX 6 is a good camera compared to other NEX models. It is the only model, in NEX range,  which doesn't overheat during video recording.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads