HS50 goes to the zoo

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
Tim Trzcinski
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
HS50 goes to the zoo
Mar 26, 2013

Conditions weren't ideal but the HS50 is so fast and easy to handle that it creates a lot of fun...

Nando Kenobi
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: HS50 goes to the zoo
In reply to Tim Trzcinski, Mar 26, 2013

Nice work! Good shots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,270
Like?

Hi,

Your shots show the benefits of getting close to your subjects however they appear quite noisy. I'm sure yoiu will enjoy your camera. Good luck.

Tim Trzcinski wrote

NOEL 100
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: a thought.
In reply to Danielepaolo, Mar 26, 2013

Would changing from -33 to 0 EV and dropping the ISO down produced better results?

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

NOEL 100's gear list:NOEL 100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,757Gear list
Like?
pretty nice series, yawning tiger is a real gem ... but ...

ISO is generally too high in the brighter light. No reason to shoot 200 ISO unless of course you shot L size at DR200 or DR400. The loss of acuity due to raised ISO is not worth the alleged gain is resolution with L size.

Or maybe it was just a mistake. Anyway, try to keep ISO at base if you can ... shot M size using my settings here ...

Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to NOEL 100, Mar 26, 2013

NOEL 100 wrote:

Would changing from -33 to 0 EV and dropping the ISO down produced better results?

Dropping ISO always helps on these tiny sensors, unless the shutter drops too low for the subject  at wide open apertures. In this case, there appears to be room to drop shutter on a lot of the shots. And I think it was a problem to shoot them all at minimum 200 ISO.

The compensation, on the other hand, should be viewed as a method of reacting to the contrast in the scene, and the presence of patches of bright white. It never improves an image to blow out highlights, except in rare circumstances. So increasing over exposure has to be done with caution when the sun is out.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim Trzcinski, Mar 27, 2013

Thanks for taking us to the zoo! very nice.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

These looks terrific Tim. Just reduce the noise a bit and resize them down to 80% + USM.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
jcmarfilph
Like?
Re: pretty nice series, yawning tiger is a real gem ... but ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 27, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

ISO is generally too high in the brighter light. No reason to shoot 200 ISO unless of course you shot L size at DR200 or DR400. The loss of acuity due to raised ISO is not worth the alleged gain is resolution with L size.

Or maybe it was just a mistake. Anyway, try to keep ISO at base if you can ... shot M size using my settings here ...

Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

-- hide signature --

LSize DR100 RAW then resize to 12MP will stomp MSize EXR crap anytime of the day.

-=[ Joms ]=-

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
In reply to NOEL 100, Mar 27, 2013

NOEL 100 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

Dropping the ISO and using the histogram is an even better idea, only a plonker leaves the EV fixed at one point.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,875
Like?
To my eyes

Tim Trzcinski wrote:

Conditions weren't ideal but the HS50 is so fast and easy to handle that it creates a lot of fun...

These are the best images yet from the 50.  Good enough that they make cause some skeptics to rethink their dim views of the cam.

If the changes others suggest can improve such results, so much the better.  Regardless, I think these raise the bar to a new level.

Keep up the good work, Tim.

-- hide signature --

Tim

PAUL TILL
Like?
Re: To my eyes
In reply to Tim39, Mar 27, 2013

Tim39 wrote:

These are the best images yet from the 50.  Good enough that they make cause some skeptics to rethink their dim views of the cam.

Are they?

Personally I think someone is shooting with the sharpness set too high. They look awful when you view them larger than what they are shown in the thread.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
Re: To my eyes
In reply to Tim39, Mar 27, 2013

Tim39 wrote:

Tim Trzcinski wrote:

If the changes others suggest can improve such results, so much the better.  Regardless, I think these raise the bar to a new level.

Keep up the good work, Tim.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Did not work with this skeptic. The bar is still lower then where it should be.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 27, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

LSize DR100 RAW then resize to 12MP will stomp MSize EXR crap anytime of the day.

Another opinion expressed in the format of a middle school debate between thugs.

I don't understand the point of the "resize to 12MP" step. L either stomps M full up at 16mp, or it doesn't. Are you purporting some magic in the reduction of resolution to 75%?

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,743Gear list
Like?

Honestly, I dont understand this fascination with 12MP either- if you print only up to 7.5x10, you CANNOT get any more resolution past 7 MP on Canon and HP printers or past 10 MP on Epson or Lexmark printers.  The only reason to ever go past those resolution for 99.9% of us who never print larger than that is for cropping.  And I find 100 percent crops to be absolutely horrid on any of these pinhead sensors so zooming is far better than cropping.  I would even chose a teleconverter over cropping.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,270
Like?
In reply to NOEL 100, Mar 27, 2013

NOEL 100 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Noel 100

In general probably yes but not with the image I singled out. Shutter speed was already quite low at 1/58 nearing (or at?) full zoom. That image interest me because it tends to be the maximum amount of light one would be afforded in a lightly treed area at full zoom when shooting birds with these small aperture superzooms. ISO 500 and higher is necessary. I don't see any hand shake in that image so he did well to hold it at 1/58. It is a pity you can see that amount of noise. It may be the amount of sharpening this picture has been given which tends to bring out the noise more than I would like.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

jcmarfilph
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Another opinion expressed in the format of a middle school debate between thugs.

I don't understand the point of the "resize to 12MP" step. L either stomps M full up at 16mp, or it doesn't. Are you purporting some magic in the reduction of resolution to 75%?

-- hide signature --

You don't shoot bird and do macro but just threads and crayons and sometimes pool area so this really doesn't make sense to you.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 27, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Honestly, I dont understand this fascination with 12MP either- if you print only up to 7.5x10, you CANNOT get any more resolution past 7 MP on Canon and HP printers or past 10 MP on Epson or Lexmark printers.  The only reason to ever go past those resolution for 99.9% of us who never print larger than that is for cropping.  And I find 100 percent crops to be absolutely horrid on any of these pinhead sensors so zooming is far better than cropping.  I would even chose a teleconverter over cropping.

-- hide signature --

Who said the you will print 100% crops of these pinhead sensor cams? If you shoot at 8MP of a distant subject and you do some cropping which is pretty common for birding and macro, you will end up with a 2MP picture which means you can only print it at 4x6 size and that is even gonna show horrendous detail.

-=[ Joms ]=-

tman1991
Contributing MemberPosts: 724Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 27, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thats not totally true.  Depends on which printer you are talking about.  I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9500II and it has a native resolution higher than 300 dpi (which is what I inferred from your  7MP picture at 7.5x10 in)

And for me native MP is key..  Since I print A3+ 95% of the time.

tman1991's gear list:tman1991's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +5 more
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to tman1991, Mar 27, 2013

tman1991 wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thats not totally true.  Depends on which printer you are talking about.  I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9500II and it has a native resolution higher than 300 dpi (which is what I inferred from your  7MP picture at 7.5x10 in)

And for me native MP is key..  Since I print A3+ 95% of the time.

6MP is more than enough for an A3 print.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads