Input port for remote control on sony NEX cams

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
xcubitor
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Input port for remote control on sony NEX cams
Mar 26, 2013

I am a happy owner of a nex-6 and a nex-5 and a while ago, I read this post regarding modifying a sony nex cam so it could be remote controlled.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3287576#forum-post-50110421

I would like to make a similar rebuild on my cameras, but unfortunately have the author of the post newer returned with a detail explanation on how to do this. As it see it, this modification is a  question about connecting to the circuit from the release button - but I am not sure about this. My plan is to yes RF-603 transceiver as transmitter and receiver, because they support "half way press", are relative cheep and have a long range.

Do anyone have experience with making modifications like this??? If you have I would be happy if your are will to share you knowledge with me and the rest of the world.

-- hide signature --

/Xcubitor

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: Input port for remote control on sony NEX cams
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 27, 2013

My question would be: Why? what is wrong with IR remotes?

You can even get an IR remote tied to the camera, and operate it by wire, wiring the remote itself. Why altering a camera when you can alter a simple IR remote?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xcubitor
Like?
In reply to macsoft3, Mar 27, 2013

well, my intention was not to start a discussion why, but how. IR is in my opinion completely unusable for operation cameras. I require that you stand pretty much in the center of the  frame (maybe you do not want to be in the picture , it is unstable - especially in bad weather conditions, the range is very short and do not allow half-press... I could live with a wifi trigger but play memories is a joke - wtf do sony make a camera with wifi and apps, if they do not want to develop - or let others - apps that can be used for something. I would go so far as calling sony's wifi and app for a marketing stunt - nothing more...

In my opinion the should be some kind of law against designing cameras with IR-ports for remote triggering. a i/o sync-port of some kind can be achieved for the same price.

-- hide signature --

/Xcubitor

macsoft4
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 27, 2013

Did you ignore the idea of wiring the remote instead of the camera? You can fix the remote really close to the IR receiver on the camera, and you have a wire coming out of the remote so you can trigger the camera by wire from wherever you want.

It just seams a big risk ending up with a broken camera :S my 2 cents.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,979
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 28, 2013

Watch the videos in the link to see if you want to pursue this. It is quite an involved modification.

http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/78-adding-a-wired-shutter-release-to-the-nex-5.html

Thank you
Russell

FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, Mar 28, 2013

I agree.  Use a cheapo remote for a couple of bucks, and trigger it with whatever you want.  You could even hook it up to an RF remote.  No mucking with the camera required.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
macsoft4
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 28, 2013

I'm a very hands-on kind of guy. I've practically dissembled, modded, re-assembled every piece of tech I've ever owned.

And I'm not secure enough with my abilities to try this.

The guy on the video also says it was the most complex job on a camera he has done...

If you really want to try this, all I have to say is Good Luck, and please document it.

xcubitor
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 29, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

Watch the videos in the link to see if you want to pursue this. It is quite an involved modification.

http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/78-adding-a-wired-shutter-release-to-the-nex-5.html

Thank you
Russell

thanks - just what i needed. I have two cameras a NEX-5 and a NEX-6... I guess I use the 5 as test subject before fu.... up my NEX-6. I will still need a disassemble video for the NEX-6... have any of you guys seen such one.

I basics, the mod is pretty much as i expected - shutter release and "half-press" is operated by short-wiring which make it pretty simple. The hard part here is taking the camera apart and put it back together without breaking anything...

-- hide signature --

/Xcubitor

CopyCatz
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 29, 2013

I don't really get why one would open up a nex6 for remote modification when it has wifi and a remote app with preview?

xcubitor
Like?
In reply to CopyCatz, Mar 29, 2013

CopyCatz wrote:

I don't really get why one would open up a nex6 for remote modification when it has wifi and a remote app with preview?

RAW...! the app is only takes jpegs - I can do that with the phone and no camera at all... the live view on the app is a cool feature, but as long as snoy do not make the app a little usable it is worth nothing...

-- hide signature --

/Xcubitor

macsoft4
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 29, 2013

I'm still curious to read an answer from you on how you dismiss the "Hack a remote instead of a camera option"

Anotherlab
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, Mar 30, 2013

The lack of an input port bothered me with the NEX 6.  I wanted to use my NEX 6 for a robotic camera head that I did for Channel 9, but I needed a wired trigger that I could control.  Opening up the camera to solder in that type of control was too risky for me.

Are you looking to remote contol the camera from a distance?  There is a solution that works with RC controllers called gentLED-shutterPLUS , it's designed for aerial use.  They also have remote switches that can operate their IR triggers without being within the line of site.

Anotherlab's gear list:Anotherlab's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Whatanicepic
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to xcubitor, May 6, 2013

you can use this wired remote control for the NEX cameras: http://wrednex.bymac.org

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads