Wish I could Affordthe D7100 but the D7000 still delivers

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
phiri
Contributing MemberPosts: 967Gear list
Like?
Wish I could Affordthe D7100 but the D7000 still delivers
Mar 26, 2013

I have used the d7000 for sometime now and based on what I have seen With the D7100, it surely is a nice camera. However I use the D600 alongside the D7000 so it would be unwise to go for the D7100. I cannot take also the hit on the D7000 With its less than 5000 exposures just to get that wonderful d7100. I will hold on for now and use the two cameras I have now. they are joy to use anyway. Anyway, took this outdoor photo on Sat.Normally use my D600 for People but on this day I had the D600 With 28mm f1.8g, not a good lens for this photo.

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 924Gear list
Like?
Re: Wish I could Affordthe D7100 but the D7000 still delivers
In reply to phiri, Mar 26, 2013

I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is. Is it to complain that you don't have enough money to get D7100 or to say that D7100 is not worth upgrading?

With that said, I also wish that I could afford a Ferrari but my Subaru does everything that I want in car

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, Mar 26, 2013

ajamils1 wrote:

I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is. Is it to complain that you don't have enough money to get D7100 or to say that D7100 is not worth upgrading?

No, it's just to make sure we all know how much the D7K "delivers".

With that said, I also wish that I could afford a Ferrari but my Subaru does everything that I want in car

Except go as fast, and make you look as cool...

john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 26, 2013

I think thats quite annoying. So you've got a D7000 and a D600. Brilliant a fantastic pair of cameras. All you'll ever need, I'm sure. You even show us a great shot. well done I love it

But you wish you could afford a D7100.

My advice is enjoy what you've got. Take some more great pictures and post them here

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?

Agree....

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
FrankG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368
Like?

phiri wrote:

I have used the d7000 for sometime now and based on what I have seen With the D7100, it surely is a nice camera. However I use the D600 alongside the D7000 so it would be unwise to go for the D7100. I cannot take also the hit on the D7000 With its less than 5000 exposures just to get that wonderful d7100. I will hold on for now and use the two cameras I have now. they are joy to use anyway. Anyway, took this outdoor photo on Sat.Normally use my D600 for People but on this day I had the D600 With 28mm f1.8g, not a good lens for this photo.

Nice shot - very naturally sharp as well.  Can I ask which lens?

Frank

phiri
Like?
In reply to FrankG, Mar 26, 2013

Thanks. The lens is the 70-300VR G lens. I think for its price, it is a good lens.

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
phiri
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, Mar 26, 2013

I understand your confusion. What I have noted is that for those of us with D7000, there is a tendency among other users to just put down the d7100 just because it makes less sense to upgrade to that body. Imagine for someone who has just bought d7000 some three to four months ago, it would be frustrating to see all the good whistles and bells in the d7100. For me, i acknowledge that d7100 is a much better camera than d7000 but it wont make economic sense to have the newer body. If I had more money just lying around, surely I would buy it. But to put down D7100 just because we cannot have it for whatever reasons is a little bit immature

SMPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, Mar 26, 2013

Just to be contrary... I would somewhat disagree. I don't know anything about the 600, I went for the 800 before it came out, but I'm not sure I would necessarily say the 7000 is a fantastic camera and all anyone needs. While it does have an expressive specs for the $ equation, and CAN perform very well under many circumstances, it also has some limitations that can be crippling in others.  Such as AF that struggles with moving subjects in lower light levels, and mirror slap induced motion blur at key shutter speeds. Whether or not the 7100 has addressed these or not, and depending on risk tolerance for moire, it may or may not be an important upgrade for someone.

john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796
Like?
In reply to SMPhoto, Mar 26, 2013

SMPhoto wrote:

Just to be contrary... I would somewhat disagree. I don't know anything about the 600, I went for the 800 before it came out, but I'm not sure I would necessarily say the 7000 is a fantastic camera and all anyone needs. While it does have an expressive specs for the $ equation, and CAN perform very well under many circumstances, it also has some limitations that can be crippling in others. Such as AF that struggles with moving subjects in lower light levels, and mirror slap induced motion blur at key shutter speeds. Whether or not the 7100 has addressed these or not, and depending on risk tolerance for moire, it may or may not be an important upgrade for someone.

I think you have to bring the D600 into the discussions as well to answer my point.

In most shots any DSLR will do the job

I've looked through your excellent gallery. I didn't check some I suppose needed high iso. That aside a D70 would have done any of them

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?

phiri wrote:

Thanks. The lens is the 70-300VR G lens. I think for its price, it is a good lens.

For a moment I thought you were talking about the old non-VR G. That lens was horrible. It is the only lens I've ever sold. I couldn't even stomach it as a backup lens! The VR on the other hand is a dream lens for the price IMHO. It's not a 70-200VR but stopped down to between f/8 and f/11 I love it!

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,180Gear list
Like?
Delivers is an understatement!
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Mar 27, 2013

The sensor in the D7000 has the the best APS-C sensor in any camera except maybe the Pentax variant, IMO. And an amazing well rounded out camera that will be under $850 by summer. I hope.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
SMPhoto
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, Mar 27, 2013

john Clinch wrote:

SMPhoto wrote:

Just to be contrary... I would somewhat disagree. I don't know anything about the 600, I went for the 800 before it came out, but I'm not sure I would necessarily say the 7000 is a fantastic camera and all anyone needs. While it does have an expressive specs for the $ equation, and CAN perform very well under many circumstances, it also has some limitations that can be crippling in others. Such as AF that struggles with moving subjects in lower light levels, and mirror slap induced motion blur at key shutter speeds. Whether or not the 7100 has addressed these or not, and depending on risk tolerance for moire, it may or may not be an important upgrade for someone.

I think you have to bring the D600 into the discussions as well to answer my point.

In most shots any DSLR will do the job

I've looked through your excellent gallery. I didn't check some I suppose needed high iso. That aside a D70 would have done any of them

Most of my gallery here is so old a D70 may have! (actually I never had a D70, but a 10D and Fuji S5 Pro did most of them, and some are even 15+ yr old Velvia/Kodachrome drum scans). Honestly, I don't know if anything I've ever shot looked better at lower ISOs and viewed at smaller sizes than S5. Such good color and DR almost effortlessly like :

. There aren't any up there from my 800, probably need to bring some newer stuff over to this site. Thanks for the comments.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: THAT is a beautiful photo.....nt
In reply to SMPhoto, Mar 27, 2013
-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Jake64
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to phiri, Mar 27, 2013

I understand your confusion. What I have noted is that for those of us with D7000, there is a tendency among other users to just put down the d7100 just because it makes less sense to upgrade to that body. Imagine for someone who has just bought d7000 some three to four months ago, it would be frustrating to see all the good whistles and bells in the d7100. For me, i acknowledge that d7100 is a much better camera than d7000 but it wont make economic sense to have the newer body. If I had more money just lying around, surely I would buy it. But to put down D7100 just because we cannot have it for whatever reasons is a little bit immature

The D7100 would kill my computer as I already have a hard enough time processing 16 mp raw files. So for me, the 7000 was an economic choice on two fronts as I did not wish to upgrade my PC. Talk about expensive.

Jake64's gear list:Jake64's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF
SMPhoto
Like?
Re: THAT is a beautiful photo.....nt
In reply to Bajerunner, Mar 28, 2013

Thanks. Walked in on the scene after shooting some guests arriving outside and almost p#$%^ed myself trying to get the camera set for the indoor light... lol

SMPhoto
Like?
Re: Delivers is an understatement!
In reply to sandy b, Mar 28, 2013

sandy b wrote:

The sensor in the D7000 has the the best APS-C sensor in any camera except maybe the Pentax variant, IMO. And an amazing well rounded out camera that will be under $850 by summer. I hope.

It is a very good sensor. If they had delivered it in a D300 grade body it would have been an APS-C world beater the last 2 years.

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
+1000, WELL DONE!!! (n/t)
In reply to Bajerunner, Mar 28, 2013
No text.
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to SMPhoto, Mar 28, 2013

SMPhoto wrote:

sandy b wrote:

It is a very good sensor. If they had delivered it in a D300 grade body it would have been an APS-C world beater the last 2 years.

Perhaps Nikon and Canon are a cartel, but they seem to like to avoid putting cameras up against identical price segments. A D300 with D7000 sensor would seem to put it right up against the 7D. It wasn't a fight Nikon would have lost but they didnt even try. D300 users were wary of the D7000 focus capability and the D7000 users thought the D300 image quality would have been a downgrade. Mad that Nikon wouldn't give DX pros better for two and a half years.

SMPhoto
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Mar 29, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

SMPhoto wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Perhaps Nikon and Canon are a cartel, but they seem to like to avoid putting cameras up against identical price segments. A D300 with D7000 sensor would seem to put it right up against the 7D. It wasn't a fight Nikon would have lost but they didnt even try. D300 users were wary of the D7000 focus capability and the D7000 users thought the D300 image quality would have been a downgrade. Mad that Nikon wouldn't give DX pros better for two and a half years.

Interesting point....never really thought about it. Same could be said for Canon for a couple of years. The D300 clearly outclassed the 40D when it was introduced (hell, add the grip and it was probably as good at the 1DIII), but Canon really didn't respond until the 7D, 2 years later.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads