Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,288Gear list
Like?
Warning. Honest.
Mar 26, 2013

For whatever reason many photography users store their photos on their computer. Maybe 99.99%.

The problem is, far too few back up their files (photographs). This is a disaster waiting to happen. I use software by Acronis and back up my work every week - automatically - to an external hard drive. Using the cloud is another alternative - and some use both.

Two days ago my data hard drive crashed - big time!!!! Thousands of priceless photographs (to me, anyway) were wiped out. Thousands of hours of hard labor (editing and PP) possibly lost . . . but for my backup.

So I bought a new HD and simply transferred by backup files. One click and off to dinner!

Take head folks. Hard drives will fail sometime - all hard drives. CD's fail in time also. Usually by bits and pieces - even the "gold" ones.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to Steve Bingham, Mar 26, 2013

Been there, done that...the hard drive crash. Now I back-up on CD and even put the best in the 'cloud'. Not sure how vunerable the 'cloud' is. Anybody know??? Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
A solution
In reply to axcentphoto, Mar 26, 2013

Can only recommend a NAS with RAID 5 (2-4 mirrored disks). Even better: Get two, place one of them in your grandmothers attic and set up a mirror between the two NAS units.

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

Apple has a wonderful, transparent solution called Time Machine that automatically backs up your hard drive over a wired or wireless network. No muss, no fuss, and no special software required. It just works. Hard drive crashed? No problem! Just pop in a blank drive, hold down the option key while booting, then select your network backup and BAM - you will be automatically restored to your new drive and back up and running within 20 minutes.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,288Gear list
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Mar 26, 2013

AZBlue wrote:

Apple has a wonderful, transparent solution called Time Machine that automatically backs up your hard drive over a wired or wireless network. No muss, no fuss, and no special software required. It just works. Hard drive crashed? No problem! Just pop in a blank drive, hold down the option key while booting, then select your network backup and BAM - you will be automatically restored to your new drive and back up and running within 20 minutes.

-- hide signature --

Well, like I said . . .

Time Machine is not an online backup service. It is an automatic backup system that is built into Mac OS X Leopard, and comes standard on new Mac computers. Instead of backing up your files online, Time Machine copies your documents onto an external hard drive. Time Machine is similar to an online backup service in that it works automatically in the background, and requires no actions or interference from you after the initial set up process.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
Ideally...

...you'd have both a local backup and cloud-based backup and they'd be running at or near real time.

My local backup is managed by Time Machine and I use CrashPlan to create a second copy in the cloud.  Both run continuously.

-- hide signature --

www.michaelneilodonnell.com

neighkon
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
Multiple copies makes data safe, but...

I have multiple copies of my files on several external hard drives and even raw drives ( I bought an IDE/SATA to USB adapter for this) now the problem is data management. Now I need to take time to go back and weed out the duplicate of the duplicates. Its my fault that I did not "archive" methodically I basically copied folders over to my back up drives. I recently purchased a 3TB usb 3.0 external and will be using this as my big pot to organize my files. Now I'm searching for a way to find multiple copies of a file so I can delete them but since we are talking about photos I'm hoping LR would do the trick. Of course like you a lot of those are edited files and I have multiple versions of a file as I save a lot as I edit along. Anyone with suggestions ?

mycom
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
Re: Multiple copies makes data safe, but...
In reply to neighkon, Mar 26, 2013

It's not a questions of IF only of WHEN a hdd fails...

Had that happen too many times and I'm backup-crazy for 15+ years, all my important files are stored on at least 5 different hdd's on 3 different computers...

Never lost a single file  .

I have no sympathy for people w/o backups, if the loose data..

-- hide signature --

regards
JoeM

mycom's gear list:mycom's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 556Gear list
Like?

I use Time Machine backup (saved me a bunch of times) and once every couple of weeks I do a manual backup of all my photo files to a separate hard drive.  Three copies available including my computer hard drive.

Old saying...There are two types of people...those that backup and those that will backup.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?

i have never had a HD fail - I have always build my own PC's with good - enterprise class HD's

Maybe i have been lucky

currently running raid array plus external usb HD

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

rmiller85
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

-- hide signature --

Well, like I said . . .

Time Machine is not an online backup service. It is an automatic backup system that is built into Mac OS X Leopard, and comes standard on new Mac computers. Instead of backing up your files online, Time Machine copies your documents onto an external hard drive. Time Machine is similar to an online backup service in that it works automatically in the background, and requires no actions or interference from you after the initial set up process.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Local backups are at best 1/2 the solution. When a burglar or fire claim both your computer and local backup, you'll wish you had something else. Offsite storage is critical.

I just recently started using AWS Glacier for super cheap cloud storage (1 cent / GB / month). There are several clients available that make backing up to the service completely handsoff (incremental backups like Time Machine). I haven't found cheaper storage anywhere. The downside is that it is an archival tier of storage, so you will pay to get your data back (5% of your data can be downloaded for free each day, after that you'll pay an additional 1 cent / GB).

-Rick

neighkon
Like?
In reply to orchidblooms, Mar 26, 2013

orchidblooms wrote:

i have never had a HD fail - I have always build my own PC's with good - enterprise class HD's

Maybe i have been lucky

currently running raid array plus external usb HD

-- hide signature --

i see that you also have an external HD that you are using as a bu right? Don't let the raid array give you a complete sense of security, if the controller dies sometimes you can't rebuild/retrieve the data unless you can get your hands on the same HW. Let me share a funny incident at work too. When I was showing a co-worker many years ago how to use a ghost boot disk. Well we booted on to the disk and we went too far and wiped my raid array on my desktop. Man I thought my data was safe, luckily I had unix gurus that helped me recover my data.

neighkon
Like?
In reply to rmiller85, Mar 26, 2013

rmiller85 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

-- hide signature --

Well, like I said . . .

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Local backups are at best 1/2 the solution. When a burglar or fire claim both your computer and local backup, you'll wish you had something else. Offsite storage is critical.

I just recently started using AWS Glacier for super cheap cloud storage (1 cent / GB / month). There are several clients available that make backing up to the service completely handsoff (incremental backups like Time Machine). I haven't found cheaper storage anywhere. The downside is that it is an archival tier of storage, so you will pay to get your data back (5% of your data can be downloaded for free each day, after that you'll pay an additional 1 cent / GB).

-Rick

+1 on theft and acts of God. That's why I keep some of my backups at work. A friend has a small company and he backs up data across different computers in the office. One day all the computers were stolen. So there goes the data.

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657
Like?
Re: There are only two kinds of people:

Tha ones who have already had a hard drive crash, and the ones who are going to have one.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

ejw07
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?

Steve Thank you for the Info..Much appreciated, done my my back up...

-- hide signature --

E. j. W.

ejw07's gear list:ejw07's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
orchidblooms
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
In reply to neighkon, Mar 26, 2013

neighkon wrote:

When I was showing a co-worker many years ago how to use a ghost boot disk. Well we booted on to the disk and we went too far and wiped my raid array on my desktop. Man I thought my data was safe, luckily I had unix gurus that helped me recover my data.

Yikes - Yes using a usb 3 HD....

-- hide signature --

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?

I back up my photos regularly.

However, I don't back up automatically.

I've been looking around for a program that will do that. I'm open to suggestions. How do you like the Acronis? Why did you chose that one? Are there some to avoid? Anyone else have favorites? (Windows here, not Apple or Unix).

I currently download my photos, do the initial processing, then back everything up. I won't reformat the card until all the photos have been put onto at least two drives.

When I started digital photography I backed stuff up on CD's. After not too long a period of time the pile of CD's got to be a management problem. Finding things was difficult. And after about 3 years I found some CD's that were unreadable. I quit backing up on CD.

When I had a paying job I had some software on the work computer that would backup everything daily. However, it compressed the data using a proprietary format. I can't read the files now. Fortunately I did my own manual backups so I didn't lose anything.

I have a bias against using the cloud. (1) I don't know how reliable it is; (2) it's not under my direct control; (3) there times when I'm not online.

I currently back up using several external hard drives. One is on the computer all the time. Another is stored in a cabinet in the basement. A third is in my barn a mile away. That one is not online so I can't mirror it. I have to pick it up, bring it home, update it, and return it to its safe hiding spot.

For the laptop I have a 2 TByte USB drive that I can carry along.

Although I'm pretty good about backing up my photos, my other data don't fare so well. My wife shares the desktop computer and her files, along with my word processing files and email and other useful files get backed up manually once every month or two. An automated system would really be useful there.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Bob from Plymouth
Contributing MemberPosts: 590Gear list
Like?

I use Apple Time Capsule. It backs up every hour. Also useful if I buy a new Mac because it can put everything onto a new computer too.

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Timothy Dunnigan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?
Re: A solution
In reply to Mojn, Mar 26, 2013

I've used a Synology NAS for 2+ years DS211. It was quite reasonably priced and has run flawlessly for since installation.

Synology continues to update and upgrade the firmware and has added a number of very useful apps for the local network. There are also iPhone apps.

I use it as a OS X Time Machine backup.

To add to Steve's excellent advice, one should also remember to keep a reasonably up to date archive in a wholly different location. Non technical disasters also happen.

-- hide signature --

TJD

Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

AZBlue wrote:

-- hide signature --

Well, like I said . . .

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve, so time machine will handle the back up without much effort however if the external drive used for the back up fails; disaster strikes. If cloud back up is not an option then back up to 2 HD's might be the alternative? Hoping that if one fails the second one is working fine.
Scary thought I have about 28,000 pics.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads