Question: Bad Bokeh / Good Bokeh

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
Question: Bad Bokeh / Good Bokeh
Mar 26, 2013

Hi again. I'm just curious about opinions of the bokeh in this picture. Trying to get a general feel about what other people like. Do you like it, or not? If you like it, why? And if not, why not? It was shot at f 4.5, so the straight edges  of the aperture blades are visible.  Thanks for your input.

Mark

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556Gear list
Like?
Re: Question: Bad Bokeh / Good Bokeh
In reply to citrontokyo, Mar 26, 2013

I'm no expert but I think a tighter crop would improve the over look. The white spots in the blurred background are distracting to me.

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,642
Like?

I would classify it as not being soft or smooth. This gives a busyness to the background that distracts the eye from the in-focus subject. To me, it's kind of like putting someone else's prescription glasses on, a little head ache inducing.

ilikespam
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 26, 2013

Would someone be willing to post'good bokeh' for comparison?

ilikespam's gear list:ilikespam's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,158
Like?

The bokeh as such isn't that bad: yes, the straight blades are visible but not aggressively so.  The bigger problem is that the white OOF flowers are so bright that they distract from the main subject and also their high-contrast edges show fringing.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
In reply to ilikespam, Mar 26, 2013

ilikespam wrote:

The situation contributes quite a bit to the problem, but the lens in the shot posted does contribute to that hard-edged look that can distract. Even really great lenses will have difficulty in particularly harsh lighting. This is a somewhat similar type of shot, but the lighting is more subdued. It helps that this was taken with the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm which tends to do well at handling these situations. Taken with a extension tube, so no aperture EXIF, but I would guess it is around f/2.8 - as that is a favorite setting for the lens.

Boring flower photo, but with decent bokeh demonstrated

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?

ilikespam wrote:

First of all, bokeh is quite subjective. What one person loves, another may not care for. (In other words, there's not necessarily a right or wrong here.) But one thing I find difficult about your photo is that the bokeh is predominantly the same color as the main subject, which to a large degree negates the 3D effect of the bokeh.

Here is an example with a distinct contrast between subject and background:

K-x, DA 35/2.4, 1/80 sec, f/2.8, ISO 160

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
"90% of the people in this world are fools, and the rest of us are in great danger of contamination." ~ Horace Vandergelder
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Chris_T
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

This is one of my shots that I feel has really nice bokeh

http://www.pbase.com/chris_t2/image/80887998/original.jpg

-- hide signature --

Cheers Chris
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional !
Please visit my gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/chris_t2

Alwina H
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Mar 26, 2013

That's a good summary IMO.

The blurred flowers at the top (top-left) of the picture would be a better background candidate IMO. They form a nice transition.

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

The bokeh as such isn't that bad: yes, the straight blades are visible but not aggressively so. The bigger problem is that the white OOF flowers are so bright that they distract from the main subject and also their high-contrast edges show fringing.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

-- hide signature --

A.

kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,812
Like?

Hello citrontokyo

First let my say it's all a matter of one's personal taste.

In my case, I really don't like it. On the other hand, I would not say it is a pure bokeh in your picture, is more the collection of the multiple aperture reflections of your lens.

I'm not sure if I remember me correct, but in case you used your FA 100 mm macro, it can happened when you get the sunlight nearly frontal into the lens. I try to avoid this with my FA 100mm macro. When you don't get the multiple reflections of the aperture blades the bokeh looks good at this aperture.

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 3,000
Like?
More a matter of taste I'd say...

When your potentially looking to use the out of focus area's of the picture as a more active part of the composition I think there rendering becomes much more a matter of taste.

I shot this last year for example with my old Canon 35mm f/2 rather than my 100mm macro because I wanted the busier bokeh and the pentagonal bokeh balls to match the "spikiness" of the frost on the grass.

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,158
Like?

ilikespam wrote:

Would someone be willing to post 'good bokeh' for comparison?

As others have said, "good" is as much a matter of opinion as hard fact.  In this one I wanted the OOF flowers to be an integral part of the picture ...

K-5, DA*200/2.8 at f/5.6

... whereas here I wanted to lose them (note that bokeh applies to OOF areas in front of the subject as well as behind.

K-5, DA*200/2.8 at f/5.6

This one's trickier, with the OOF blooms closer to the main subject and softening further back.

DFA100/2.8 macro at f/4

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208Gear list
Like?

I don't enjoy the Bokeh in this example Mark. In part due to the angular nature and the umbra / penumbra of the highlights, also I believe the bokeh should help the subject stand out.

This is one of my favourite examples where both foreground and background are equally blended.

and here no highlight distracts

Can't wait for the UK to turn Pentax Green again this year.

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, Mar 26, 2013

Col K10d wrote:

I don't enjoy the Bokeh in this example Mark. In part due to the angular nature and the umbra / penumbra of the highlights, also I believe the bokeh should help the subject stand out.

This is one of my favourite examples where both foreground and background are equally blended.

Can't wait for the UK to turn Pentax Green again this year.

That is the kind of Bokeh that I strive to get!

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Corson, Mar 26, 2013

Bob Corson wrote:

Col K10d wrote:

That is the kind of Bokeh that I strive to get!

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson

I'm afraid it didn't come cheap!  Welcome to the wonder that is the A* 200 f/4 Macro, don't let anyone cast aspersions on its quality or worth.

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
citrontokyo
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 26, 2013

Hah! Well put.

Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
citrontokyo
Like?

Great replies and advice everyone, thanks very much. I will try again another day.
Mark

math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, Mar 26, 2013

Wow -- that is a great photo!

Col K10d wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
"90% of the people in this world are fools, and the rest of us are in great danger of contamination." ~ Horace Vandergelder
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Infrabasse
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, Mar 27, 2013

Here's one of mine I really like. The bokeh is quite creamy

55-300 wide open @ 300mm

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, Mar 27, 2013

Good or bad depends upon your opinion.

I don't find the bokeh is bad although I think it is distracting and not to my personal taste.

What lens did you use?

I recently got a bargain basement Helios 58mm F/2 and while the bokeh can be very pronounced depending on aperture setting I (and many others) think it is very distinctive and characteristic.

If you aren't happy with this lens for flower photography try another one.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads