canon 8120(8220), epson 835, or epson px720wd?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
chrisvg
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
canon 8120(8220), epson 835, or epson px720wd?
Mar 26, 2013

I really want a pro printer, but I still need the functions of scanning, copying, and document printing.  So, my main concern is which is going to give the best photos.  Another consideration would be the canon 6220, but I think I seen that the scan quality was not as good as the 8220.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Because I really don't need the slide scanner although it could be nice since I do have some.

I read the differences between the inks in the epson and canon where the epson uses the light cyan and magenta, but someone posted that it no longer needed, so I don't know if I should go with the canon b/c it has the grey ink.  Will it really print B&W decent?  One thing I have not seen is which is more expensive per page?

Any thoughts on which I should go with?  Again photo quality and long lasting being most important, but scanning being a close second.  Then the need for copying and document printing being not as often.

Or is there something different I should get?  My budget is $400.

Serhat Abaci
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
Re: canon 8120(8220), epson 835, or epson px720wd?
In reply to chrisvg, Mar 26, 2013

I love the print quality out of Epson 6-color dye ink based printers.

I previously owned FIVE Epson Stylus Photo P50 (T50 for US) its a standalone Printer,

i used them with refillable cartriged on prom-events for instant printout and earn more or less $$.

I sold all of them and even recorded a Video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFfDuyBo8nE

dont mind i am talking german since I live in germany just skip to the printout part, its HP advance Photopaper with glossy covering.

all these multifunktion units work with the same printing unit and Ink

you could even pick up a slightly used printer on craigslist or ebay.

Comaptible Ink cartriges are really cheap

RX560

RX585

RX685

Stylus PX650

PX710W

PX800FW

PX810FW

Px830fwd

Serhat Abaci's gear list:Serhat Abaci's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
In reply to chrisvg, Mar 26, 2013

There generally isn't much difference between printers in the amount of ink that is put down on the paper per unit area. You can get a good estimate of ink costs by finding out the capacity of the ink cartridges for each printer and dividing that into the price of a cartridge; that will give you dollars per millilitre. It isn't exact, because there can be substantial differences in the amount of ink different printers waste doing warm up and cleaning cycles.

Extra colors and extra shades of the same color are quality considerations. There are reasons why higher end, wider format printers use 8, 10, or even 12 inks. Extra colors extend the gamut of the printer – with more colors a printer can more accurately reproduce your images. Different shades of the same color make for smoother graduations in the print – less chance of posterization.

IMHO if you are only going to use the scanning facility for documents and as a copier, then you would be better getting an inexpensive all-in-one, and using the difference in price towards a real dedicated photo printer.

Brian A

chrisvg
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 26, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

There generally isn't much difference between printers in the amount of ink that is put down on the paper per unit area. You can get a good estimate of ink costs by finding out the capacity of the ink cartridges for each printer and dividing that into the price of a cartridge; that will give you dollars per millilitre. It isn't exact, because there can be substantial differences in the amount of ink different printers waste doing warm up and cleaning cycles.

Extra colors and extra shades of the same color are quality considerations. There are reasons why higher end, wider format printers use 8, 10, or even 12 inks. Extra colors extend the gamut of the printer – with more colors a printer can more accurately reproduce your images. Different shades of the same color make for smoother graduations in the print – less chance of posterization.

IMHO if you are only going to use the scanning facility for documents and as a copier, then you would be better getting an inexpensive all-in-one, and using the difference in price towards a real dedicated photo printer.

Brian A

I would like to use the scanner for photos as well as copying documents though.  (Photos more)  That is why I am so torn on which route to go...real dedicated photo printer and seperate scanner or mfp.

Another thing is that I would love to start doing some work from home such as cards, programs, etc. What I would love to do is get a great mfp (for scanning photos and printing documents) and a pro printer, but I can't afford both at the same time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads