DSLR camera in portrait mode

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
Riki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?
DSLR camera in portrait mode
Mar 26, 2013

I was thinking of getting a universal L bracket for fast move from Landscape to Portrait mode.  I have a Arca Swiss B1 ballhead and Gitzo tripods. I will be buying the D800 soon. Is it better to get a L bracket or get another tripod or another head . What do others use ?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nigel Wilkins
Contributing MemberPosts: 997
Like?
Re: DSLR camera in portrait mode
In reply to Riki, Mar 28, 2013

I used to use a 3-way pan & tilt head which I could just tilt 90 degrees to get to portrait, but since buying an L bracket, I'd never do that again.  It's just so much more convenient with an L bracket & more stable at the same time since the camera's weight stays centred over the head.

I'd say an L bracket is one of the best investments I've made for a long time.  It also provides additional protection to the camera body as a bonus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Apr 10, 2013

I asked the same question a few months back. I've got an old heavy Gitzo tripod with a center column and a new Giottos ballhead. About 10kg capacity. I wondered what L Brackets were all about.

The folks who responded said the L bracket gives you speed when switching from landscape to portrait mode on a tripod. Using the drop-down slot on a ballhead is slow. And, to some extent not very repeatable. You have to set that angle level each time you switch.

And with some heavier lenses, flopping a ballhead into the slot throws off the balance of the tripod. With an L bracket, the weight of camera and lens are always centered on the ball.

If you are a pro, the L bracket with QR is a must. For an amateur like me, I'll pass. Way too much money for those fancy names with high prices. And I'm not in a hurry.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,794
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 10, 2013

A L-bracket let's me position the camera on my swing arm tripod in ways not possible without.

A L-bracket lets me use lighter as well as smaller supports with my camera.

In keeping with both the above, I can attach my camera to a lot of random objects. Sign posts, parking meters, railings, ...

If you are taking panoramas, the camera in the portrait position on the pano head provides a Vertical FOV for the finished photograph.

If you use a macro rail system, being able to mount the camera in landscape or in the portrait position can mean getting the exact framing you want.

All said, an L-bracket isn't less about speed for me, and more about getting more physical control over the camera.

Thank you
Russell

Riki
Like?
In reply to Riki, Apr 12, 2013

I think I will have to get a L plate. the Arca Swiss ones look very good but pretty expensive. I tried shooting portrait mode on my Gitzo Explorer 2220 and Novoflex Magic Ball and it wasnt bad at all with a light lens. However with a heavier lens I guess a dedicated L bracket is the answer. To answer bravozulu, no, I am not a pro but a over enthusiastic amateur.

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Riki, Apr 21, 2013

I got a 1 piece L bracket from ebay for $35 instead of $90-$100 for a dedicated one. Works on all my cameras.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +25 more
Riki
Like?
In reply to puttin, Apr 23, 2013

Which brand for $35/- ? Can you please point me where to look, thanks

puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Riki, Apr 25, 2013

Search ebay for universal L brackets. Desmond brand, model DAL-1. I just ordered another one 1 hr ago.

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads