Is there a safe password management system?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?
Is there a safe password management system?
Mar 26, 2013

I keep mine in a rolodex at home. But it's a real pain! Is there a safe/easyaccessible way to keep them on my PC?

Thanks!

Fred

Tony French
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a safe password management system?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 26, 2013

I use LastPass, it stores your passwords online in an encrypted form. I don't trust it enough with my banking passwords though.

Tony

Tony French's gear list:Tony French's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tony French, Mar 26, 2013

Or PasswordSafe (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).

It's Open Source, which some regard as less safe.  However, most security experts would argue the other way: the safest, most secure security systems are those where the methods are in the public domain.

Have your security algorithms open and subject to full public scrutiny.  Just keep the keys and passwords private.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Shalom2006
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon Garrett, Mar 26, 2013

KeePass - this is the best secure password freeware program of the lot!

http://keepass.info/

-

Best Regards
Steven
Chigwell, UK

Shalom2006's gear list:Shalom2006's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,697Gear list
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 26, 2013

The problem with password keepers is that you're putting all your eggs in one basket.  The bad guy just needs the password to your password keeper and he/she now has access to everything.

Damned if you do.  Damned if you don't.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D70
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 16,195Gear list
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 27, 2013

Excell spreadsheet with password.  Printed and in file.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?

I use aWallet Cloud app on my Droid.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?

I use iSecure password keeper on my phone, I like keeping it there so I can look it up without interrupting what I'm doing on the PC.  And by storing on my phone, it is always with me, so I can also use it for PIN numbers, creditcard numbers, combination locks, and use them on the browser on my phone.

Is this secure? Every bit as secure as the multi-million dollar security systems that banks, credit card companies, and shoe store chains have that you store credit card numbers and personal information  in but that managed to get hacked into annually anyway.  NO data about you is ever secure, get used to it.

These password keepers while encrypted, are designed to prevent local, casual theft from people with little liquid assets to steal and who are relatively anonymous. For that they are excellent.  All any security system does is slow down corporate criminal enterprises anyway.

This is one of those basic requirements of modern life, that you are stupid if you don't follow anyway, but have little hope of expecting them to actually work.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
In reply to brn, Mar 27, 2013

brn wrote:

The problem with password keepers is that you're putting all your eggs in one basket.  The bad guy just needs the password to your password keeper and he/she now has access to everything.

Damned if you do.  Damned if you don't.

well, you don't have to put the passwords in there literally, just enough information that you can log on.

In this world of varying requirements around length and for non alpha characters, one approach is to have a base password and then build around it.  So your password file could have an entry like this

chase - base!T  yahoo addr.

translates to base password plus !T, registered to my yahoo address.

If someone gets this file (or key values at some password service, they certainly have a lot of information and might start going around seeing if they can get the information to fill in blank of what base is, but it's a far cry from having the actual password.

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

I have a text file with all my passwords to my offshores, encrypted with the name of my first girlfriend. Hope this helps.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Mar 28, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

I have a text file with all my passwords to my offshores, encrypted with the name of my first girlfriend. Hope this helps.

If your ex girlfriend's name is published anywhere in a manner connected to you, either published by you, or by her, or even maybe by 3rd parties, I'm sure it does.

From what I've read, meaningful passwords and patterned password schemes are like gold to the people who prey on other people.  You probably ought to get one of those programs that generate random sequence passwords.  Is it foolproof? Nope, but its probably way better than what you've got.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 28, 2013

aVolanche wrote:

I keep mine in a rolodex at home. But it's a real pain! Is there a safe/easyaccessible way to keep them on my PC?

Thanks!

Fred

I use Roboform.  It has a number of good features, can be put on a thumb drive, and has an online component.

I don't know how secure it is relative to the others or in general, but I dont really worry too much.

Gary Coombs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,334Gear list
Like?

I use LastPass.

All my passwords are generated randomly by LastPass.

Each individual password is 12 randomly generated characters.

Check it out at lastpass.com.

Gary Coombs's gear list:Gary Coombs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,528
Like?
mSecure

https://msevensoftware.com/

iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows

ultra-secure 256bit blowfish encryption

Syncs between desktop/laptop and mobile via private WiFi or Dropbox.  Exports to a CSV file for backup if desired.

The developers seem to stay on top of bugs and requested features with regular updates.

I've been using it for close to 2 years after a disgruntling experience with SplashID by SplashData.  Over 500 records - look up performance is good on my Samsung Galaxy III phone but gave my old old HTC Magic (aka G2 aka MyTouch 3G)  a very hard time.

-- hide signature --

ClintB
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 29, 2013

1Password or SafeWallet

1Password seems to be better integrated password management for logging into websites. SafeWallet is rapidly catching up, but the big feature it includes, that I love, is total customization  of templates.

nikonsrme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423Gear list
Like?
Roboform +1
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 31, 2013

I have been using this for several years.  I use the everywhere version that costs 10 bucks a year.  It allows you to save your passwords on a USB key for use anywhere on any computer not just your own, a cloud based backup of all your passwords and other notes.  It is very good at filling out forms, credit card numbers etc.  All you need to do is make sure you remember two passwords.  I have no idea what my passwords are to all my various accounts as they are randomly generated and impossible for even me to remember.  But they can be looked up any time I need to know them.  Also integrates with android phones and you can save bookmarks etc.  I have not found anything I like better or I think is more secure yet but I always keep my eye out.

-- hide signature --

'You can observe a lot just by watching.' YOGI BERRA
Photography by Jerry Faircloth
http://www.jerryfaircloth.com

migibson99
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 31, 2013

I use LastPass.  It's free, but more importantly, it works.  It also is consistently rated as one of the top password managers.

senlamy
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Apr 4, 2013

For me, Sticky Password is the option. Easy, automatic, reliable, great support.

PhD4
Senior MemberPosts: 3,616
Like?

One I didn't see mentioned is Dashlane.

I tried Roboform, but didn't like it, so I checked out some articles comparing them all.

Dashlane is pretty automated. Meaning when I open a site I have an account on, like Amazon, FM, Adobe.... it signs me in automatically.  I care more about it's ability to do that than just keep a list.

Only thing I don't like about it is having to enter a password to start the program, every time I reboot.

PhD4
Senior MemberPosts: 3,616
Like?

One I didn't see mentioned is Dashlane.

I tried Roboform, but didn't like it, so I checked out some articles comparing them all.

Dashlane is pretty automated. Meaning when I open a site I have an account on, like Amazon, FM, Adobe.... it signs me in automatically.  I care more about it's ability to do that than just keep a list.

Only thing I don't like about it is having to enter a password to start the program, every time I reboot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads