Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Re: Shoe greasing
In reply to apaflo, Mar 28, 2013

apaflo wrote:

hexar wrote:

How likely will it be that you shoot that "all comes perfectly together" composition  ?

For Street Photography, what is there is "perfectly together".  That's what makes it different than Studio photography.

Perfectly together in Street photography are those shots that really stand out because of the fact that all elements fall   "perfectly together"  .  Just to show you an example of what I mean would be something like :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickturpin/2926828712/

Those SP pics that have become famous because they are "better" composed than studiowork could ever do.  Never could you add the juice of spontanity and "live" feeling to such arrangement in a studio.    Just by the skills  (and very often a bit of luck)  of the photographer.  But also the hero`s of SP shoot hundreds and thousands of pics to get gems like this in their portofollio.

an other one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetphotography/380665703/

keep shooting

HEXAR

Deepak Kaw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410Gear list
Does this one work better?
In reply to xtoph, Mar 28, 2013

xtoph wrote:

this is a terrific subject, but there are a few things that hold it back from realizing its potential. the tight crop seems a bit cramped. the saturation may not need to be that high. most important, because the woman is looking out of the frame and we cannot see her face/eyes, the picture kind of runs into a dead end there; imagine what might happen if the two figures had been looking at each other, for instance, or even just if the woman were looking down at the child. i think that would have worked much better with your title.

so, not bad, but i those are things i think you could have improved.

thanks for posting.

Dear Christopher, does this one work better?

Deepak Kaw's gear list:Deepak Kaw's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +19 more
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,818Gear list
Pastel Paradise
In reply to fad, Mar 28, 2013
-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,818Gear list
Re: Does this one work better?
In reply to Deepak Kaw, Mar 28, 2013

I like the first one better.  It is a more interesting pose.

Both have the problem of darkened faces in a high contrast lighting situation, much like backlighting.  Making the face more visible, or accepting that it won't be, that decision defines the photo.   The first brings more emotional power, and engages more areas of the viewer's brain.  But you don't have a frontal face view.   You should just play with it and see how it satisfies you.   In terms of color and subject, it has a Steve McCurry feel, but the way he shoot the faces tend to dominate.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Re: But to those who yield, he is much more gentle
In reply to Nikkorforever, Mar 28, 2013

I only just saw that goat on the roof  !  Man great pic.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

HEXAR

xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,138Gear list
Re: Does this one work better?
In reply to Deepak Kaw, Mar 28, 2013

Yes, i think the second one is better. Certainly it is a better fit for the title.

The twist in the bodies of the first one is more complex and interesting, but imo the Woman looking out of frame drains the picture. The circuit of the gaze in the second one maintains a better integrity of the subject.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads