On board flash importance

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
On board flash importance
Mar 26, 2013

I like the available on-board flash on my 7D and it comes in handy. The so-called PRO canon cameras have no built-in flash so you have to carry around a dedicated flash and attach it when needed, or use high noisier ISOs to capture the moment while paying more to do so.

The question I ask is... "Is an on-board flash on a camera important to you?"

(This is my 3,000 post on DPR)

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,269Gear list
Like?
No
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

The only advantage of the on board camera (IMO) is that it can be used as a flash trigger and even that is of questionable value to me as I always use dedicated wireless triggers anyways.

So no, I surely dont need an on board flash

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 400D
Sigma 24-70 HF
Canon 50 f1.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rodbam
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,044
Like?
Yes for macro
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

I use the built in flash along with a large white plastic plate diffuser & get really well lit macro shots. I read about doing this here from a poster from Spain who posted some magnificent macros done this way. I haven't done too many but I think the soft light from the on board flash works great. I couldn't get the same light from my 430ex but I didn't persevere with it.

Regards Rod

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Re: No
In reply to Matt, Mar 26, 2013

Matt wrote:

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

Then what is wrong with you? If you are serious about taking pics, why would you not take your better gear out and about? I do. I don't use a P&S or smart phone. My 7D image quality tells me the hassle is worth it... even with snaps. You are lazy.

Ubi.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,377Gear list
Like?
Who is lazy?
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Matt wrote:

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

Then what is wrong with you? If you are serious about taking pics, why would you not take your better gear out and about? I do. I don't use a P&S or smart phone. My 7D image quality tells me the hassle is worth it... even with snaps. You are lazy.

Ubi.

Ubi, it is you who is lazy if you will neither carry a proper flash nor read Matt's post properly. And why call other names, just because they disagree with your OP?

I use the OCF as a disabled master. I have little use for OCF, but if I need one, I use a Nissin DI 866 mk. II which tilts, swivels, can be taken off camera with an eTTL-cord or wireless. For portraits, I use my studio strobes.

Im am not a professional photographer. I rarely bring my 7D on travels, as a tourist I use my S100. The S100 never ceases to amaze me. It is versatile and offers lots of creative possibilities in a tiny package, and delivers more than acceptable IQ.

 Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Traveller
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,605
Like?
And You're Not Lazy, You're Just Smart...lol...nt
In reply to Klaus dk, Mar 26, 2013

Traveller

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JTuuti
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Yes, for controlling remote units (NT)
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013
No text.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Suave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023Gear list
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

I have never used a flash on my 7D, not a single time.  Don't think I ever will.

 Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Re: Who is lazy?
In reply to Klaus dk, Mar 26, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

Matt wrote:

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

Then what is wrong with you? If you are serious about taking pics, why would you not take your better gear out and about? I do. I don't use a P&S or smart phone. My 7D image quality tells me the hassle is worth it... even with snaps. You are lazy.

Ubi.

Ubi, it is you who is lazy if you will neither carry a proper flash nor read Matt's post properly. And why call other names, just because they disagree with your OP?

I use the OCF as a disabled master. I have little use for OCF, but if I need one, I use a Nissin DI 866 mk. II which tilts, swivels, can be taken off camera with an eTTL-cord or wireless. For portraits, I use my studio strobes.

Im am not a professional photographer. I rarely bring my 7D on travels, as a tourist I use my S100. The S100 never ceases to amaze me. It is versatile and offers lots of creative possibilities in a tiny package, and delivers more than acceptable IQ.

I thank you for your response and if i offended you... I don't care. You never hoisted a Bigma on a 7D with grip and two batts. The 7D onboard flash actually works well on long glass too. But, thats something you'll never know since you are a tourist?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JTuuti
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Re: No
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Matt wrote:

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

Then what is wrong with you? If you are serious about taking pics, why would you not take your better gear out and about? I do. I don't use a P&S or smart phone. My 7D image quality tells me the hassle is worth it... even with snaps. You are lazy.

Ubi.

I am confused.  You obviously use on-board flash... In OP:

Ubilam wrote:

I like the available on-board flash on my 7D and it comes in handy.

then you go on to argue that the reason photographers with pro-grade bodies need to carry extra units is because they do not have the built-in ones.

You seem to be very Pro-onbord-flash, yet you call ppl lazy [for not carrying the extra gear with them?] I don't get it...

By the way, why don't you test to see what kind of image quality you get with your 7D's built-in flash vs. a properly set-up speedlight.  I think you just may find that the difference is about as significant as it is.. well.. between a P&S or a smart phone and your 7D.

Although I do agree the built-in unit may come in handy for fill flash, but even the lowliest, 100% pocketable 270EX is sooo much better there is really no reason to use the built-in one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alberto888
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: Who is lazy?
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

+1.
OCF is important n handy. Imaging what happens if your 600ex flash suddenly damaged in the middle of a portrait takes... I always use -1 on my 7D ocf for a quick portrait or head shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
Re: Who is lazy?
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

Matt wrote:

If I want to take photos (snaps) that are fine with an on board flash then I wouldnt be carrying a pro camera around.

Then what is wrong with you? If you are serious about taking pics, why would you not take your better gear out and about? I do. I don't use a P&S or smart phone. My 7D image quality tells me the hassle is worth it... even with snaps. You are lazy.

Ubi.

Ubi, it is you who is lazy if you will neither carry a proper flash nor read Matt's post properly. And why call other names, just because they disagree with your OP?

I use the OCF as a disabled master. I have little use for OCF, but if I need one, I use a Nissin DI 866 mk. II which tilts, swivels, can be taken off camera with an eTTL-cord or wireless. For portraits, I use my studio strobes.

Im am not a professional photographer. I rarely bring my 7D on travels, as a tourist I use my S100. The S100 never ceases to amaze me. It is versatile and offers lots of creative possibilities in a tiny package, and delivers more than acceptable IQ.

I thank you for your response and if i offended you... I don't care. You never hoisted a Bigma on a 7D with grip and two batts. The 7D onboard flash actually works well on long glass too. But, thats something you'll never know since you are a tourist?

Fortunately petulance is something most adults grow out of.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,450Gear list
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

I use it occasionally for fill flash outside. It's useful for that. If I want decent quality flash shots inside, I use my 430EXII, either with a softbox or an omnibounce. I also find the external flash with a softbox is perfect for macro, but the OCF will do for that in a pinch. So, I suppose I like having the onboard flash, but it wouldn't be a deal killer to be without it. If I had the money, I'd get a 5DIII right now, and almost certainly not miss the onboard flash. I had film SLRs for 25 years without onboard flashes.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

 Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,423Gear list
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

No. At one time it was helpful for optical transmission for OCF but I never used it for anything else. Light source is far too small to be of use to me.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rndman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes for macro
In reply to rodbam, Mar 26, 2013

rodbam wrote:

I use the built in flash along with a large white plastic plate diffuser & get really well lit macro shots. I read about doing this here from a poster from Spain who posted some magnificent macros done this way. I haven't done too many but I think the soft light from the on board flash works great. I couldn't get the same light from my 430ex but I didn't persevere with it.

Regards Rod

I would say that's some use of the OCF. Good work..

 rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,191Gear list
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Zee Char, Mar 26, 2013

It's my IR transmitter

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,027Gear list
Like?
Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

Any flash is better than none. The wireless flash function on the 7D is icing on the cake for me.

The 1 series pro cameras have serious weatherproofing, my guess is the pop-up flash would be a nightmare to weatherproof. But I don't know why they refuse to put one on any of the 5D bodies.

 MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?
Re: On board flash importance
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

I find onboard flash inadequate.   Use it only as wireless control.  Especially in the light of that 'why won't you take your best gear' comment:   why won't I take my best flash unit?   I dismount the Speedlite from my camera only when I pack it into bag for transportation.   (Or to use it off camera)

Standard neck strap makes carrying a camera with flash awkward at best.  Sling-style strap like BlackRapid RS-7 makes carrying a camera with flash attached a LOT more comfortable.

A pro body user is not going to rely on built-in flash for backup.   He will have 3-4 580's in the bag.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,123Gear list
Like?
7D on-board flash is a controller for off-camera slave flashes
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 26, 2013

That could be very convenient and save a bit on speedlites. You could buy the 430 EX I/II to slave as your "main" flash and use your on-board flash at very low power for a "fill" flash.

 NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,123Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D on-board flash is a controller for off-camera slave flashes
In reply to NancyP, Mar 26, 2013

I should add, I have a 60D, I use the on-board flash as main flash only on rare occasions, and I don't expect good looking pictures, just documentation. I don't like the straight-on flash flatness. If the 60D on-board flash was a control unit, I would use it as such.

Macro: I have a MT24 EX double flash unit which I am learning to use, flashes are NOT on axis and can be individually adjusted re: power and position. To my amazement, I can get decent looking hand held 1:1 photos in dim light. I can hardly wait until warm weather and insect/spider activity.

 NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads