Choosing between spyder 3 and 4

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
murcielago
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Choosing between spyder 3 and 4
Mar 26, 2013

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Basically I need to calibrate the hopelessly out of contrast lcd screen on laptop which has a glossy screen and maybe calibrate my PC's LCD which has a glossy screen as well.

i read somewhere that spyder 3 removed some ambient light sensor or luminance light sensor from spyder 2 and put it back in spyder 4 ?

anyway the key problem with my laptop is that when the background is white and the words are grey/black, it becomes hard to read. furthermore if the room has bright even lighting, the words become unreadable unless i crank up the brightness which become very glaring to me. turn down the brightness and it becomes hard to read.

should i get the cheaper spyder 3 pro or the more expensive spyder 4 pro?

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,805
Like?
Re: Choosing between spyder 3 and 4
In reply to murcielago, Mar 26, 2013

murcielago wrote:

i read somewhere that spyder 3 removed some ambient light sensor or luminance light sensor from spyder 2 and put it back in spyder 4 ?

The Spyder3 isn't made anymore. On the plus side, you may be able to pick up a used one cheap on Ebay, Craigslist or whatever.

anyway the key problem with my laptop is that when the background is white and the words are grey/black, it becomes hard to read. furthermore if the room has bright even lighting, the words become unreadable unless i crank up the brightness which become very glaring to me. turn down the brightness and it becomes hard to read.

I'm not at all sure either of them is going to help significantly with that problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
willvan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
In reply to murcielago, Mar 26, 2013

I have Spyder 4 pro which I use on my Asus laptop and on my Desktop. I was pleasantly surprised by the difference it made to my laptop and if I recall correctly, the program did not call for the ambient light detector when calibrating the laptop but it did on the desktop. Both are glossy screens and I do not have an IPS monitor.......wish I did but the moderately priced Samsung on the desktop is quite good, particularly now that it is calibrated. Can't speak to the Spyder 3 as version 4 is my first.

edit:  Malch is probably right that if you have a more specific problem than simple calibration, even Spyder 4 may not be able to resolve your issue.

Bill

-- hide signature --
murcielago
Like?
In reply to malch, Mar 26, 2013
yes i intend to get it from ebay/amazon etc
I figured my problem with the lcd is a question of contrast, colour balance because when i compared it to my LCD monitor, it appears much "cooler" in colours

malch wrote:

murcielago wrote:

The Spyder3 isn't made anymore. On the plus side, you may be able to pick up a used one cheap on Ebay, Craigslist or whatever.

I'm not at all sure either of them is going to help significantly with that problem.

hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,746Gear list
Like?
In reply to willvan, Mar 26, 2013

I, too, think you may have some sort of issue with your monitors. And, of course, you should work in a dimly illuminated room, but that might be impossible.

But for what it is worth, I'm using an old Spyder 3 Express on my Win 7 desktop and laptop and it works fine for color control. I shoot for newspapers, magazines and wire and no one has ever had an issue with my color balance.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
murcielago
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Mar 27, 2013

hmm

i guessed my problem with the lcd is a question of contrast, colour balance because when i compared it to my LCD monitor, it appears much "cooler" in colours

am i mistaken somehow?

hotdog321 wrote:

I, too, think you may have some sort of issue with your monitors. And, of course, you should work in a dimly illuminated room, but that might be impossible.

But for what it is worth, I'm using an old Spyder 3 Express on my Win 7 desktop and laptop and it works fine for color control. I shoot for newspapers, magazines and wire and no one has ever had an issue with my color balance.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 16,281Gear list
Like?
you cant compare those to each other
In reply to murcielago, Mar 27, 2013

you cant even compare to like laptops because there is a good chance they are slightly different.

JMO

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
In reply to murcielago, Mar 27, 2013

murcielago wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Basically I need to calibrate the hopelessly out of contrast lcd screen on laptop which has a glossy screen and maybe calibrate my PC's LCD which has a glossy screen as well.

should i get the cheaper spyder 3 pro or the more expensive spyder 4 pro?

Between the them, I prefer the 4...
Get a 4 Express and calibrate this way
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50454217
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50741555

But your problem is trying to use a glossy screen in bright room...

murcielago
Like?
In reply to Pictus, Mar 28, 2013

actually it's not that bright as u think.

Pictus wrote:

Between the them, I prefer the 4...
Get a 4 Express and calibrate this way
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50454217
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50741555

But your problem is trying to use a glossy screen in bright room...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads