So what's the best printer under $100?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions
vjk2
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
So what's the best printer under $100?
Mar 26, 2013

It looks like the Selphy CP900 is the only game for dye sublimation. What about inkjets?

Serhat Abaci
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: So what's the best printer under $100?
In reply to vjk2, Mar 26, 2013

i would  go for an Epson dye 6-color based printer...

had FOUR Epson Stylus Photo P50 (europe) T50 (US i think)

I used them on prom events to print out fotos directly on the event for 2-5€ per print since

all cartriges i used are refillable ones and high quality dye ink options are cheap as hell.

I actually even recorded a 10min video of my printer for the ebay auction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFfDuyBo8nE

dont mind its german but there you have an slight view how GOOD acutally the print quality is on glossy photo papers. Its just awesome!

I did print A WHOLE LOT of 10x15cm Prints and 13x18cm borderless.

All Epson Desktop Photo Printers and Photo AIO (All in One) Units I had come in contact that uses 6 Colors (Light Cyan and Light Magenta added to C Y M K ) have just fantastic results.

I myself have an 13x19 Epson Stylus Photo 1400, in the US the epson desktop printers

with photo capabilites called Artisan, you should even look for a used unit on ebay or craigslist...

Serhat Abaci's gear list:Serhat Abaci's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Epson Artisan 50 Epson Artisan 835 Epson PictureMate Charm +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,329
Like?
Re: So what's the best printer under $100?
In reply to vjk2, Mar 26, 2013

vjk2 wrote:

It looks like the Selphy CP900 is the only game for dye sublimation. What about inkjets?

I don't know but my experience of printers under $100 and I have had three in the last few years, is that a new set of inks for them will also cost you $100. we had one multi use Canon (scanner, printer, card reader etc) and one day it came up with an error number and wouldn't work. Googling I discovered that it was irreparable. Junked it. So my view is they are fine for testers and ringing out web info, but not great for photos.

Jules

ukkisavosta
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
I agree
In reply to Serhat Abaci, Mar 26, 2013

Serhat Abaci wrote:

i would go for an Epson dye 6-color based printer...

All Epson Desktop Photo Printers and Photo AIO (All in One) Units I had come in contact that uses 6 Colors (Light Cyan and Light Magenta added to C Y M K ) have just fantastic results.

I myself have an 13x19 Epson Stylus Photo 1400, in the US the epson desktop printers

with photo capabilites called Artisan, you should even look for a used unit on ebay or craigslist...

I agree.

If a used unit will do, you can find a used 6-color dye ink Epson for as low as 10 bucks. A set of refillable carts will put you down 15 bucks, and a set of dye inks, good for 5 fills, can be had for as low as 10-15 bucks. Color neutrality might be a problem, but I'm sure that there are neutral inks available for a bit more... it helps if you can profile your inks & papers.

The quality is unbelievable, considering how little you actually need to spend.

Jaakko

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads