Looking for the perfect shoulder bag...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Looking for the perfect shoulder bag...
Mar 25, 2013

I am looking for a shoulder bag that holds a DSLR with a 70-200 lens mounted and a lens on either side, so it must be tall.  It would be good if it sat upright this way when placed down.  Maybe a small pocket or two for filters and stuff.  That's it.  I have a Lowepro Nova 200, but it's just not tall enough for a longer zoom (my Rebel + 24-105 with hood on is pushing it) .  So nice to plop the camera into the bag lens down on the supports, then just snap shut and go.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for the perfect shoulder bag...
In reply to bruxi, Mar 26, 2013

Take a look at the larger Kata backpacks. They are very good and big.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Footski, Mar 28, 2013

looking for the perfect bag or anything is a mission impossible... your perfect bag might be poison to another shooter... bags are like mates... it involves very personal chemistry -- I say this sitting on top of a pile of at least 15 different bags, each imperfect for all missions but idea for one or two...

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,634
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Mar 30, 2013

Like others, I too am sitting on a closet full of useless bags. I have shoulder bags, backpackers, trekers, slings, day bags, lens bags, computer bags, etc., etc. Sometimes I think someone needs to start a bag-exchange site; so we can swap & try before we buy. The one bag I found that ends up on my shoulder most of the time is my Lowepro AW Magnum. It holds my Nikon D800, with a Nikon 24-70 + hood attached, in an upright position. It also holds my Nikon 180mm lens and Nikon 20mm lens. It also has my strobe light, filters, memory cards, extra batteries & charger, portable folding soft box, cleaning stuff and manuals. They come in 3 sizes. I use the smallest one (AW 200). It might be worth your while to takes a look. It's at:

http://www.lowepro.com/magnum

-- hide signature --

truview

bruxi
Like?
In reply to Island Golfer, Mar 30, 2013

Great - thanks.  The 200 looks good.  I'll have a look in store.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
robertpicassa
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 1, 2013

AW 200 Is looking good. Thanks.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to Footski, Apr 2, 2013

Footski wrote:

How is that an answer to someone looking for a shoulder bag?!

My recommendation would be Think Tank Retrospective 20.

Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, Apr 2, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

Footski wrote:

How is that an answer to someone looking for a shoulder bag?!

My recommendation would be Think Tank Retrospective 20.

Oh dear, your tone is unpleasant and not needed. The larger Kata bags can be used as either shoulder bags, using one strap or as ful back packs using two. When used as a shoulder bag, one strap is hidden out of the way.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 2, 2013

bruxi wrote:

I am looking for a shoulder bag that holds a DSLR with a 70-200 lens mounted and a lens on either side, so it must be tall.  It would be good if it sat upright this way when placed down.  Maybe a small pocket or two for filters and stuff.  That's it.  I have a Lowepro Nova 200, but it's just not tall enough for a longer zoom (my Rebel + 24-105 with hood on is pushing it) .  So nice to plop the camera into the bag lens down on the supports, then just snap shut and go.

Lowepro Flipside 400. Just enough to hold what you're looking for. Lenses on the side have to lay parallel to the body/lens (not standing up).

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
rkodama1
Contributing MemberPosts: 597Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 3, 2013

Check out the messenger bags from Vanguard.  High quality, spacious and lots of pockets.  I have the Uprise 38 which should easily meet your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Up-rise-38-Expandable-Camera/dp/B003EE5WYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364960136&sr=1-1&keywords=vanguard+uprise+38

Another possible option are the Heralders but they have a greater width:

http://www.amazon.com/VANGUARD-HERALDER-33-Messenger-Bag/dp/B005FIBBWI/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1364959946&sr=1-5

-- hide signature --

Randy

rkodama1's gear list:rkodama1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
bruxi
Like?
In reply to rkodama1, Apr 6, 2013

Great - thanks

newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 6, 2013

I am at the same boat and failed so far. There are only a few bags that fit the search cateria of 11.5" tall and 6" depth.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Depth_6%22+%2815+cm%29&ci=174&N=4075788795+4131098792+4127317981

After a few hundred $ spent. I go back to my old Billingham Parkinton. It hold the 24-70 mounted on the D800 with grip, a 70-200 and a SB-800.

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
bruxi
Like?
In reply to newtoy, Apr 7, 2013

Yeah - hardest part is finding one that is tall.  I like to just drop my camera in with zoom and lens hood and move on.  I often won't put the lens cap back on as the hood gives good clearance.  I find I get more shooting time this way, but hard to find a bag that is perfect for that but the ones you've flagged are helpful.

Fedupandenglish
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 7, 2013

Just ordered a Billingham 445 having spent hours pouring over this forum and wandering around with a tape measure. My 30 year old Billingham is just not big enough for a 5Diii and lenses, as it dates back to a time when slrs were smaller!

Fedupandenglish's gear list:Fedupandenglish's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
dcmidnight
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 7, 2013

Just posted a review of my Ona Bowery bag. Wont fit it upright but fits a D7000 with an 18-300 with room leftover for the pointa and shoot, chargers and batteries.

Ivo Verhaar
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
In reply to dcmidnight, Apr 9, 2013

I still love my think tank change up V1.0 but the new and bigger V2.0 might fit your needs just, it will give you a very flexible and tough bag. And as its name tells you it changes from shoulder to belt pack. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/changeupv2.aspx

Is it perfect nope, no bag is, if it is big you tend take to much and it is too heavy, it is always too small. Any toploading or frontloading backpack will force you to take it off to get anything out of it. Sling bags get pretty awkward when they get bigger and heavier also.

I still like the construction of my rotation 360, it is brilliant, but again smallish, its reitteration the mindshiftgear 180 seems a lot better (does not scream camera bag either), might get it but very afraid it is actually too big on prize and size......

Also keep in mind what your style is, do you realy want it to shout camera inside (black, boxy, worse logo of Canon or Nikon) or do you want people to want to keep there hands away from it voluntarely (dirty diaper bag). Do you use it in the city, with sneaky hands to be kept out (pacsafe) or need it in the country, where the former might be true to keep monkeys out, but rainprotection gets a higher priority and monkey seldom carry pocket knives.

LOL you will end up like most of us with several bags, and a lot of them are abandoned after just a week of holiday, because not realy that usable.

If you already have a bag you love consider a camera insert (domke) which turns it into a camera bag. Some mill-spec bags might be ideal. If it is just a body plus lens even a neoprene sleeve will work wonders.

But for now realy think hard what you realy want to put in that bag on your photo trips and what you can leave home without, take everything with you to a store with lots of free time and fit it.  Next Take a 1 gallon (4L) bottle of water or bottles and cram it in the bag, does it still feel comfy with some real weight or not. If its a backpack or bigger sling add at least 2gallon better 3. If you realy want that bag but the shoulder strap is cr... try a different strap or a pad to make it comfy. Serious overload the bag, it should feel how it feels after 2hrs..

What would be my ideal bag, something like my rotation 360 with a 3 cm higher and wider rotating waist section, looking outside like a retrospective (canvas) style, Completely weatherproofed. No openings on the front, just on the back with the backpack knowhow of osprey behind it and lockable like a pacsafe. And the waist secion usable as a shoulder bag, waist bag change up style..

Happy hunting

-- hide signature --

Olympus: E-3, 12-60SWD, EX25,EC20, FL50R, 50-200SWD, XZ-2.
Thinktank: Rotation 360, Change Up, some modules
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iverhaar

Ivo Verhaar's gear list:Ivo Verhaar's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Olympus Stylus 720 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
bruxi
Like?
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Apr 12, 2013

Great - thanks for that very detailed post.  I will check out your reco.

Richard Innes
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to bruxi, Apr 14, 2013

Just been asking myself the exact same question about finding a good shoulder bag. As someone else mentioned I have a whole graveyard of shoulder bags I've had over the years (mainly crumpler, to be honest).

I've recently moved up to a Canon 5Dm3 and bought a few new lenses (24-105L, 70-300L, 40mm & Samyang 14mm) as well as the 430exii flash, and needed a new bag to fit them all in.

After a LOT of research (and I mean a LOT, I always over analyse and spent a couple of weeks looking and researching across the web and multiple forums). I came across a company called Tenba that I'm sure a lot of people know about but was new to me, and they do a really cool shoulder bag called the Tenba Messenger Camera Bag - Medium (original I know!), but it is awesome! It is really well designed and comfortably holds all the kit I listed with room for other accessories, etc. But it doesn't actually look too big and is pretty inconspicuous in that it doesn't much look like a camera bag.

Check out their website below:

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messenger-Camera-Bag-Medium-Black.aspx

There's a good video on that page that walks you through the various features - def worth a watch.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
Canon 5Dmk3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads