EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
Mar 25, 2013

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my E-520 for something smaller and with better overall IQ. The 'take anywhere' concept appeals to me. Right now my budget is somewhat constrained so I am not contemplating the EM-5 (lovely machine as that may be). The images from the Fuji X100s look nice, and the form factor is great, but of course one gives up the flexibility of being able to change lenses. So an alternative would be the EPL-5 with just a single (prime?) lens for now: excellent overall image quality, smallish form factor, with the future possibility to buy more lenses.

So, does this concept make sense to you, and if so, which lens would you pick?

Thanks,

Dorus

Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 25, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my E-520 for something smaller and with better overall IQ. The 'take anywhere' concept appeals to me. Right now my budget is somewhat constrained so I am not contemplating the EM-5 (lovely machine as that may be). The images from the Fuji X100s look nice, and the form factor is great, but of course one gives up the flexibility of being able to change lenses. So an alternative would be the EPL-5 with just a single (prime?) lens for now: excellent overall image quality, smallish form factor, with the future possibility to buy more lenses.

So, does this concept make sense to you, and if so, which lens would you pick?

Thanks,

Dorus

Makes sense. What do you usually photograph? Knowing what you like to shoot will help others make useful prime recommendations. Also, is low-light capability important to you? Portability?

Also, what's your budget for a lens?

tex

 texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,024Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 25, 2013

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

 Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 25, 2013

It makes sense to get the OMD with one lens. After you can buy more lenses.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Jorginho, Mar 25, 2013

EPL-5 and 20 f1.7 Panasonic, per the previous poster.   Half the cost, half the weight, twice the portability, great picture quality.  Fuji is just playing on nostalgia. I've found all their offerings, when handled in camera stores, unwieldy and even larger than film rangefinders.  And the reviews of image quality, between the lines, are not as positive as you might think.

 PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to texinwien, Mar 25, 2013

texinwien wrote:

Dorus wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my E-520 for something smaller and with better overall IQ. The 'take anywhere' concept appeals to me. Right now my budget is somewhat constrained so I am not contemplating the EM-5 (lovely machine as that may be). The images from the Fuji X100s look nice, and the form factor is great, but of course one gives up the flexibility of being able to change lenses. So an alternative would be the EPL-5 with just a single (prime?) lens for now: excellent overall image quality, smallish form factor, with the future possibility to buy more lenses.

So, does this concept make sense to you, and if so, which lens would you pick?

Thanks,

Dorus

Makes sense. What do you usually photograph? Knowing what you like to shoot will help others make useful prime recommendations. Also, is low-light capability important to you? Portability?

Also, what's your budget for a lens?

Thanks for the response and questions. I don't have a fixed budget for the lens - as for type of photography, it will be mostly travel and social settings. I used to also take sports pictures but with the kids out of the house that really does not come up very often any more.

Dorus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Jorginho, Mar 25, 2013

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. So you would pick the 20 mm over the 17 mm pancake?

Dorus

Jorginho wrote:

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,358Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Mar 25, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote: It makes sense to get the OMD with one lens. After you can buy more lenses.

Currently it makes more sense to buy the more modern E-PL5 and the 14-42mm MK2 kit lens and see where it goes from there. The high ISO performance of E-M5 and E-PL5 makes using kit lenses a more sensible thing to do.

In my case E-PL5 plus Pana 14-45mm lens works for me, the OIS being useful for video.

The E-PL5 is the better camera than E-M5 because of a more sensible button layout and the ability to assign MySets to the Mode dial. If you must have a viewfinder, then there's the VF-2 or VF-3.

If you must have the better IBIS then the E-M5 is it, but truth be known, there's less need of IBIS/OIS with a camera that has a decent high ISO ability.

Regards...... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,905Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to PSCL1, Mar 25, 2013

The IQ of the original x100 was already excellent, and I've heard the x100s is just an improvement, so I doubt it should get many complaints. The new Oly sensor is very nice too, though, so they're probably both plenty capable of great results.

As to the best lens to pick- it depends what you shoot. The 20mm 1.7 is small, sharp, great in low light, but the focus isn't as fast as it could be. The panasonic 14mm 2.5 is another option if you want something wider, and the price is nice. If you don't need low light, the 19mm sigma 2.8 is sharp and cheap. Theres the 17mm oly 1.8 as well- lots of choices!

 rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Guy Parsons, Mar 25, 2013

Guy, do you miss having a viewfinder on the EPL-5?

Dorus

Guy Parsons wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote: It makes sense to get the OMD with one lens. After you can buy more lenses.

Currently it makes more sense to buy the more modern E-PL5 and the 14-42mm MK2 kit lens and see where it goes from there. The high ISO performance of E-M5 and E-PL5 makes using kit lenses a more sensible thing to do.

In my case E-PL5 plus Pana 14-45mm lens works for me, the OIS being useful for video.

The E-PL5 is the better camera than E-M5 because of a more sensible button layout and the ability to assign MySets to the Mode dial. If you must have a viewfinder, then there's the VF-2 or VF-3.

If you must have the better IBIS then the E-M5 is it, but truth be known, there's less need of IBIS/OIS with a camera that has a decent high ISO ability.

Regards...... Guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 25, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. So you would pick the 20 mm over the 17 mm pancake?

Dorus

Jorginho wrote:

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

The 17mm f/2.8 pancake isn't a great lens. The 20mm f/1.7 pancake is much better.  You just have to keep in mind the potential for banding at higher ISOs. Lower ISOs, too, if you brighten the files in post-processing later on.

A lot of people say the 20mm focuses slower, and I don't want to start an argument, but at least one forum member (Anders W) has performed systematic tests without finding any evidence to back up this claim. I'm not aware of any other tests that have been performed as well and have also suggest that the 20 mm does actually focus slower.

I use the 20mm on my E-M5 all the time - excellent lens, and I'm really fond of it, but I have been bitten by the banding issue more than once.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 is another fast normal prime with an excellent reputation, although it is bigger than the pancakes.

tex

 texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to texinwien, Mar 25, 2013

texinwien wrote:

Dorus wrote:

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. So you would pick the 20 mm over the 17 mm pancake?

Dorus

Jorginho wrote:

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

The 17mm f/2.8 pancake isn't a great lens. The 20mm f/1.7 pancake is much better. You just have to keep in mind the potential for banding at higher ISOs. Lower ISOs, too, if you brighten the files in post-processing later on.

A lot of people say the 20mm focuses slower, and I don't want to start an argument, but at least one forum member (Anders W) has performed systematic tests without finding any evidence to back up this claim. I'm not aware of any other tests that have been performed as well and have also suggest that the 20 mm does actually focus slower.

I use the 20mm on my E-M5 all the time - excellent lens, and I'm really fond of it, but I have been bitten by the banding issue more than once.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 is another fast normal prime with an excellent reputation, although it is bigger than the pancakes.

tex

Thanks - very helpful

Dorus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

Dorus wrote:

texinwien wrote:

Dorus wrote:

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. So you would pick the 20 mm over the 17 mm pancake?

Dorus

Jorginho wrote:

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

The 17mm f/2.8 pancake isn't a great lens. The 20mm f/1.7 pancake is much better. You just have to keep in mind the potential for banding at higher ISOs. Lower ISOs, too, if you brighten the files in post-processing later on.

A lot of people say the 20mm focuses slower, and I don't want to start an argument, but at least one forum member (Anders W) has performed systematic tests without finding any evidence to back up this claim. I'm not aware of any other tests that have been performed as well and have also suggest that the 20 mm does actually focus slower.

I use the 20mm on my E-M5 all the time - excellent lens, and I'm really fond of it, but I have been bitten by the banding issue more than once.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 is another fast normal prime with an excellent reputation, although it is bigger than the pancakes.

tex

Thanks - very helpful

Dorus

Glad i could help. Will just fill in the other lenses from wide to normal for you:

  1. O 12mm f/2.0 - very good, a little pricey, metal construction with a special manual focus mode for zone focusing
  2. P 14mm f/2.5 pancake - small, decent quality, can be had for cheap
  3. O 17mm f/1.8 - new, apparently not quite as good/sharp as the p 20mm. Also metal construction w/the same zone-focusing mode as on the 12mm
  4. Sigma 19mm & 30mm f/2.8 - don't know too much about these, but those who own them tend to speak well of them
  5. For posterity, there's also the O 15mm f/8.0 Body Cap lens. Mostly a novelty, poor quality, tiny, light, slow, manual focus only. Can be sort of fun, though

Don't think I left anything out of the list, other than some very pricey manual focus options from Voigtländer, SLR Magic and Schneider Kreuzbach.

tex

 texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,137
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

If you're going to fork for the Fuji, I say get the E-M5 and the 17mm 1.8.

I thought about the Fuji X100 or X100S and now also the Sony RX-1. They are great choices, mainly due to their sensors, for sure.

For me, I'll pass on those two as I get a faster aperture, autofocus, with the 17mm 1.8 on my E-M5, which is very sharp wide open except the extreme edges, whereas the other two are slightly soft wide open.

But, the main reason is that the E-M5 takes other lenses, while the Fuji and Sony don't.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my E-520 for something smaller and with better overall IQ. The 'take anywhere' concept appeals to me. Right now my budget is somewhat constrained so I am not contemplating the EM-5 (lovely machine as that may be). The images from the Fuji X100s look nice, and the form factor is great, but of course one gives up the flexibility of being able to change lenses. So an alternative would be the EPL-5 with just a single (prime?) lens for now: excellent overall image quality, smallish form factor, with the future possibility to buy more lenses.

So, does this concept make sense to you, and if so, which lens would you pick?

Thanks,

Dorus

I`m a big fan of the X100`s

Difficult choice is this, if I had the money I would have both.

The EPL5 + viewfinder + 17mm f1.8 would be good and so would the x100s.

 Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,904
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

I started a similar thread about the 17/1.8 for my E-M5, or getting the X100S. I decided that for $1300, I can almost get the 17/1.8 and the 75/1.8 lenses.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,358Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Guy, do you miss having a viewfinder on the EPL-5?

No, not at all.

Now I way prefer to use the LCD as then I can see what's going on around me, and also I am more likely to take many shots from a lower position by using the bend up LCD.

To me it looks odd and slightly primitive to see someone holding a camera up to their eye to photograph. Using the LCD is a much more natural way to do things.

Maybe a couple of years of using nothing but the Panasonic LX3 trained me to work with bad LCDs and taught me to be liberated from viewfinder needs. That's after many years of film SLRs and peering though viewfinders.

At odd times a glary sky combines with a glary ground reflection and then it's hard to see the LCD, so I may use my VF-2 then, or throw a coat over my head and camera for the very best solution - see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51035437

With me wearing glasses the glary sky plus ground even spoils the VF-2 use as too much light leaks into my eye from all angles. Contact wearers or non-glasses people will have fewer problems.

Even playing with manual focus lenses I seem to do OK using magnify or the 2x tele facility and so rarely use the VF-2 that most times it stays at home.

As an aside my quick comparison of E-PL1/E-P3/E-PL5 makes me think that the E-PL1 LCD was the easiest to see in bad conditions. LCDs may be increasing in resolution, but get dimmer in the process. Most times my LCD is cranked to max brightness, and have 8 second dim to help save the battery.

Regards........ Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
radix1
Regular MemberPosts: 422
Like?
E-PL5 + 17mm f/1.8 + VF-1
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade from my E-520 for something smaller and with better overall IQ. The 'take anywhere' concept appeals to me. Right now my budget is somewhat constrained so I am not contemplating the EM-5 (lovely machine as that may be). The images from the Fuji X100s look nice, and the form factor is great, but of course one gives up the flexibility of being able to change lenses. So an alternative would be the EPL-5 with just a single (prime?) lens for now: excellent overall image quality, smallish form factor, with the future possibility to buy more lenses.

So, does this concept make sense to you, and if so, which lens would you pick?

Thanks,

Dorus

that's more versatile than the X100s. Because you could add the 15mm body cap lens for $50 to make it really pocketable, and switch to the 17mm when needed.

or, when you got bored with the 17mm and want to get a sharper lens, you could sell the 17mm and buy the 20mm f/1.7. (edit: dont forget to sell the VF-1 too when you do this LOL)

or when there's a new and better sensor you could sell the PL5, and get the E-P7 with built in EVF on the left side.

and maybe someday you'll be interested in some holga or some older legacy manual lenses.

cheers

radix

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Mar 26, 2013

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

I started a similar thread about the 17/1.8 for my E-M5, or getting the X100S. I decided that for $1300, I can almost get the 17/1.8 and the 75/1.8 lenses.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

An excert from my response to Jeff's thread:.

I have the X100, not the X100S, but For me, these are two very different camera systems. Even with the improvements of the x100s, I would say that the shooting experience is very different. The x100 is more measured. It takes some getting used to working with the camera in comparison to m43, and it definitely felt clumsy to me until i got used to the controls and idiosyncrasies of the camera. Even then, the shooting experience is more deliberate with the x100. It just shoots like a very different camera. Not worse, just different.

I would really recommend you handle each camera before making a decsion.  For street shooting and or a carry everywhere camera, i would likely choose the X100S.  If you want to build a kit, pick m43.

-Kiel

 Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 26, 2013

If you are very experience photographer/user, you please and know how to use 35 angle lense for your need, go for X100s, otherwise go m43 for flexible. X100s is very nice camera, high ( higher ) build quality, very good sensor, compact of course. IQ almost same: OM-D/E-PL5 vs X100s.

Another point OM-D has more button, more dial wheel. With me, this is very important. EPL-5 has less button, wheel and no viewfinder. If you want viewfinder you have to add VF-2, VF-3 or next rumor 2.4M viewfinder

Sumary: they are different. Only you plan to use 1 lens, never upgrade/change lens, can be compared

 Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads