Egrets with the 500mm Reflex. . .

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
Cricket in Malibu CA
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
How close were you.
In reply to jack scholl, Mar 26, 2013

Great captures!  How close were the egrets?   Which camera did you use?

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
Cricket in Malibu

Cricket in Malibu CA's gear list:Cricket in Malibu CA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jack scholl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,987Gear list
Like?
Re: How close were you.
In reply to Cricket in Malibu CA, Mar 26, 2013

Cricket in Malibu CA wrote:

Great captures! How close were the egrets? Which camera did you use?

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
Cricket in Malibu

Cricket,

We were 100-150' away from the birds.  And the camera was the Nex 7.

Thanks for looking and the kind words.

Jack

-- hide signature --
 jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
jack scholl
Like?
Re: Jack: excellent results, but...
In reply to jpr2, Mar 26, 2013

jpr2 wrote:

...how much crop? I was trying to deduce your approx. shooting distance to those egrets but failed no finding a full frame (resized of course, as DPR doesn't take 4000x6000 px)

best,

jpr2

Thanks jpr2.

We were 10-150' away from the birds and the final file size of these shots varies from 12 to 20 MB using the 750mm equivalent lens.

Jack

http://www.pbase.com/jrs40

Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,785Gear list
Like?
Jack: if my guesstimate is right...

jack scholl wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

...how much crop? I was trying to deduce your approx. shooting distance to those egrets but failed no finding a full frame (resized of course, as DPR doesn't take 4000x6000 px)

We were 100-150' away from the birds and the final file size of these shots varies from 12 to 20 MB using the 750mm equivalent lens.

Jack

in other words you've been about 40 meters away on average (30 to 50 meters)?

so... given that, and the size of an egret in flight with wings outstretched to be about 3 meters, my guesstimate yields the birds filling the whole N7's frame edge to edge  (also, I've an exact target just like that visible from my window: a balcony 3 meters wide seen at the measured 40 meters, which indeed fills the frame on my N7 with a "no-name" 500mm catadioptric). And yet your excellent captures seem more like crops to my eye .

Can you tell what area fraction the birds occupy on your frames? The file size is not a best way to estimate distances, although it is a very good indicator of the amount of details captured indeed.

Also, is it possible to microdajust the AF 500/8 cat on N7 through LA-EA2?

jpr2

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,226
Like?

re donuts out of mirror lenses: from my experience, such donuts appear for bright points and objects in the out of focus background mostly. How can there be donuts in th eevenly blue sky? Or in the dull foliage. So none appear here.

They also seem not to show on bright spots in the out of focus foreground.

So I only worry about specular lights behind the plane of focus.

Any one else to support my observations? A theory of this donut behavior?

jack scholl
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 26, 2013

uhligfd wrote:

re donuts out of mirror lenses: from my experience, such donuts appear for bright points and objects in the out of focus background mostly. How can there be donuts in th eevenly blue sky? Or in the dull foliage. So none appear here.

They also seem not to show on bright spots in the out of focus foreground.

So I only worry about specular lights behind the plane of focus.

Any one else to support my observations? A theory of this donut behavior?

uhligfd,

I basically agree with what you are saying. Here is the "classic" example of "specular lights behind the plane of focus" . . .

Haven't had to much of this behavior . . .

Jack

-- hide signature --
jack scholl
Like?
Re: Jack: if my guesstimate is right...

jpr2 wrote:

jack scholl wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

We were 100-150' away from the birds and the final file size of these shots varies from 12 to 20 MB using the 750mm equivalent lens.

Jack

in other words you've been about 40 meters away on average (30 to 50 meters)?

so... given that, and the size of an egret in flight with wings outstretched to be about 3 meters, my guesstimate yields the birds filling the whole N7's frame edge to edge (also, I've an exact target just like that visible from my window: a balcony 3 meters wide seen at the measured 40 meters, which indeed fills the frame on my N7 with a "no-name" 500mm catadioptric). And yet your excellent captures seem more like crops to my eye .

Can you tell what area fraction the birds occupy on your frames? The file size is not a best way to estimate distances, although it is a very good indicator of the amount of details captured indeed.

Also, is it possible to microdajust the AF 500/8 cat on N7 through LA-EA2?

jpr2

jpr2,

I am not exactly sure what the issue is but will try to respond.

Original post at 5368x3579 crop

Original file uncropped at 6000x4000

This is typical of the shots posted on the egrets.  Some may have had slightly more cropping, but at 100 to 150' with a 750mm lens you can "fill up the frame" pretty well if you are lucky.  As others have stated it is probably prudent to leave some space in the frame as "catching" these creatures is sometimes not easy.

And yes, it is possible to microadjust the 500 reflex with the EA2.  We have never had to do this but the option is in the setup menu of the 7.

Hope that helps,

Jack

-- hide signature --
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,999
Like?
Very nice images, sometimes mirror-tele lenses works great..nt
-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Egrets with the 500mm Reflex. . .

Hey Jack - nice job with the egrets...love those big birds when they fly - they can look so ungainly at times, yet so graceful when soaring above.

Looks like that lens is being used just how it should - I played around with a 500mm F8 reflex as a swap with another Sony shooter, and found it was fine for shots in flight most of the time, and for most plain or normally lit and close backgrounds...as mentioned, it's only when you get the specular highlights and/or backgrounds that are well lit at just the right distance from the subject that the old donuts appear.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
jack scholl
Like?
Re: Very nice images, sometimes mirror-tele lenses works great..nt
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Mar 26, 2013

Thank you Ari . . .

Jack

-- hide signature --
jack scholl
Like?
Re: Egrets with the 500mm Reflex. . .
In reply to zackiedawg, Mar 26, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Hey Jack - nice job with the egrets...love those big birds when they fly - they can look so ungainly at times, yet so graceful when soaring above.

Looks like that lens is being used just how it should - I played around with a 500mm F8 reflex as a swap with another Sony shooter, and found it was fine for shots in flight most of the time, and for most plain or normally lit and close backgrounds...as mentioned, it's only when you get the specular highlights and/or backgrounds that are well lit at just the right distance from the subject that the old donuts appear.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Thanks for looking Justin.  The Reflex is a wonderful alternative for us old guys that only hand hold and don't want more size and/or weight as we get older.  Not like our friend from NZ who keeps getting bigger and heavier lenses as he matures!  Danny is amazing . . .

Jack

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads