transitioning from E-5 to E-whatever

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,050
Like?
transitioning from E-5 to E-whatever
Mar 25, 2013

Since it looks very likely that there will be a successor next fall, I'm curious how potential buyers and current E5 owners might handle the transition. Any of you planning of selling well before the release in hopes of a better price? Or perhaps the price of the  new camera will be so high that our used E5's look like bargains... I'm inclined to wait, since I don't like to miss using it over the summer, then get what I can in the fall for it.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
Re: transitioning from E-5 to E-whatever
In reply to jkrumm, Mar 25, 2013

Considering I've only just stepped up to an E-5 (from an E-30), I'll wait until the dust settles after the release of the E-whatever before I jump in. When I see what comes out and what the future is, I'll likely sell the E-30 or possibly my E-1 ( although that's less likely give it's such a classic and I bought it from Bill Turner).

I've help off selling anything Olympus for the time being. The Australian flea-bay market is quite soft for anything except top tier four thirds gear - I got the E-5 used for $780 with 20,000 actuations, which want bad considering how rarely they come up. Lower end bodies and most lenses are going for prices that make me wish I needed to buy some. I'm hoping that the release of a new body will give people confidence that the format has a future and bring prices back to a more buoyant level before I sell.

Mario

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Hatfull
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?

I'm just coming back to Oly after stupidly getting out at the end of last year.

I got an E-1 to tide me over.  If I do start to have MP envy I'll pickup an E-30.  I'd keep the E-1 regardless.  I am putting together the lens collection I'd ultimately have.

As much as I'd like an E-5 I'm going to wait until the fall and see what happens.  If there's no announcement by Christmas I'll find an E-5 and be done with it.

I'll have about $1K leftover after I sell all my Pentax stuff and pick up the desired Oly kit (aside from the E-5/X).  I'm seriously considering putting it into a 6 month CD to keep me from screwing with it until Oly does something.

I just don't know if this is the time to get into an E-5.  Not because of anything having to do with the camera, I loved mine, but because of market timing/forces.

-- hide signature --

Keith Hatfull - Woodbury, MN
http://keithhatfull.smugmug.com

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?

jkrumm wrote:

Since it looks very likely that there will be a successor next fall, I'm curious how potential buyers and current E5 owners might handle the transition. Any of you planning of selling well before the release in hopes of a better price? Or perhaps the price of the new camera will be so high that our used E5's look like bargains... I'm inclined to wait, since I don't like to miss using it over the summer, then get what I can in the fall for it.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

I have the E-1, E-420, E-620 and E-5, and I am staying pat.  Perhaps in 2014 I will look at the new body, or bodies, if they are in play at that time.  I am having more than enough fun and challenges with the equipment I have, none of which will be sold in any case.

Roger.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-420 +22 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,691Gear list
Like?

I think I'll just keep my E-5 regardless.  I'm fairly happy with it.  I'd like another stop of useful ISO and some better DR....who wouldn't , but I get perfectly decent photos as is.

I will certainly buy the new camera..if and when it gets here, but I don't think I want to sell the E-5 at a give away price.  I'm also hanging on to the E-30 as well.  It's enough lighter to be what I grab for travel.  If the new camera is no heavier than the E-30, then I'll sell the 30, but if it's another anvil, then I'll keep the 30 also.  By that time used 4:3 cameras probably won't have much value anyway, so why just give them away.

-- hide signature --

BJM

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,135Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Mar 26, 2013

Hi John,

I'm shooting with the E-5 and still haven't mastered all of it's features. I still plan to adjust focus for all of my HG and SHG lenses. I just bought a used LensMark target for a good price so that will be soon. I'm happy with the results I'm getting and only occasionally wish I could shoot in lower light. When the new E-x, E-xx or E-xxx comes out it will have a better sensor for low light and with more DR (otherwise it can't be competitive). But I may hold off on adopting the newest body for a while.

My E-5 has a low shutter count and lots of life left in it. Even if I did upgrade, I'd probably keep the E-5 as a 2nd camera and back-up. The current used price isn't very tempting. For a new Pro E-x body I don't expect the new body to be much more expensive than the E-5. It's still got to compete with the D7100, D600, 5DmkIII etc.

I'm also shooting with the E-330 underwater. It's great for UW with the Live View A mode. I have a large investment in the UW housing and lens ports. replacing that housing for any other Olympus body would be expensive ($1300 min). Replacing the lens ports to fit a different system would be costly too ($130 to $200 for each of 4 or 5 lenses I can use UW). For topside I also have lots of flash accessories to fit Olympus. So I'm staying with Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,068Gear list
Like?
If I had an e-5,

I wouldn't be selling just yet... I prefer to wait a bit until the price of a new item starts to drop, or I can get it as a refurb.  In any case, I wouldn't sell until at least the specs of the new body are known.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
John Iversen
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

Standing pat.

I've got plenty good kit coming out my ears; E-1, Evolt 500, E-30 x 2.  7-14mm, 9-18mm, 12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 18-180mm, 40-150mm MkI, 50mm f/2, 50-200mm SWD, EC14.

Hell, the biggest thing I'm missing right now is enough quality photography time . . .

Plenty of time to let the dust settle after Oly's WhatEverItIs hits the street.

Salskov

-- hide signature --

"Shoot with what you got"

drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

I will probably get the new camera if it is a DSLR.  My wife has already asked if she can have the E5 when I get a new camera (she currently has my former E 510), so I think I will give it to her and I can still use it as a second camera.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to drj3, Mar 26, 2013

I have a pretty good kit of Oly gear and will wait and see what the E-Whatever is.

I don't think I will dispose of any of my Oly gear but if the E-Whatever does not provide a viable alternative in terms of DR, noise and AF to what the opposition has, then I may become a dual user.

Now if the E-Whatever is a "humdinger" of a camera I will upgrade and even might pull the trigger on one of those SHG lens! 

I hope Olympus surprises us all and rewards its loyal customer base.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +10 more
Calinature
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?

Thanks for posting this question as many of us are pondering what to do! I anticipate that I will use the E-5s as backup for speciality purposes. For example, for macro with a flash, the E-5 is quite good. I don't think that too many more mps or increased dynamic range will make that much of a difference. I shoot with multiple camera bodies so I don't have to change lenses that frequently: One of my E-5s might be dedicated to flower photography with the F2 50 mm, using the ring flash; the other might be dedicated to insect photography with the Sigma 105, using the twin flash setup. Here's a photo taken just yesterday with the latter setup:

So these camera bodies would always be ready to go. The new Olympus would see dedicated use with my SHG/HG lenses for low light, action photography, and so forth.  Lot's to look forward to!  Jeff

Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: A couple of other reasons...

This actually works well unless you need CAF.  I would love to have the new sensor and 5 axis IBIS in a body that can track like my E-5.  Everything is bonus.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +13 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, Mar 26, 2013

Hi George,

I'm intrigued by your second image of what appears to be a m4/3 camera on the end of the ZD300mm lens.

Is that in fact a ZD300mm ?  If so it has some interesting differences to mine.

- your hood has a much more textured surface, mine is much smoother (but still textured)
- the tripod mounting foot on yours seems to be about 2cm longer and has a different profile
Mine (bought Aug last year) looks to be the same as the one shown on the Oly USA web site.

Is yours an older version ? I'm wondering whether Olympus has tweaked the design over the years.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-300 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-30 +22 more
Ivo Verhaar
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

I tend to use my E-3 mainly for holidays, and since the E-7 might be there around winter, i probably get it in the spring (meaning we are no longer on V1.0) and use it a bit before the next holiday. Unless someone sells me a E-5 for 500 LOL....

-- hide signature --

Olympus: E-3, 12-60SWD, EX25,EC20, FL50R, 50-200SWD, XZ-2.
Thinktank: Rotation 360, Change Up, some modules
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iverhaar

Ivo Verhaar's gear list:Ivo Verhaar's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Olympus Stylus 720 SW Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
fatfaria
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

I might consider a purchase of whatever E-? comes along. My latest Olympus DSLR is the E-3. I will most certainly sell it at a big loss but only if improvements in the new body are significant. High ISO performance, focus accuracy, and focus tracking.

The remainder of my Oly's will stay with me, E-400, E-1, C-8080, C-5060. And the other 4/rds body with PanaLeica lens, DMC-L1 with all the4/3rds lens I have acquired for some time now.

Let's hope they (Olympus) make it happen.

Cheers,

Fernando

fatfaria's gear list:fatfaria's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?

If a real full functioning large SLR (at least as big as the E-1) doesn't come out I will just buy another E-5 and be done with all this Nonsense........

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 +6 more
Geo Wharton
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Mar 27, 2013

Messier Object wrote:

Hi George,

I'm intrigued by your second image of what appears to be a m4/3 camera on the end of the ZD300mm lens.

It is the 300

- your hood has a much more textured surface, mine is much smoother (but still textured)

The lens is near three years old, but could have sat in stock for some time before I bought it.  I didn't know there were different hoods.  I guess we don't see these around every day.  In fact, I've never seen any one else's.  I thought I had the only one.

- the tripod mounting foot on yours seems to be about 2cm longer and has a different profile
Mine (bought Aug last year) looks to be the same as the one shown on the Oly USA web site.

The tripod foot is aftermarket.  It is fitted for Arca Swiss heads.  No secondary plate.  It is also a lower profile which helps it balance better on a gimbal head with a swing arm.

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-Olympus-Accessories-cln-Lens-Plates/Categories.bok

Is yours an older version ? I'm wondering whether Olympus has tweaked the design over the years.

Peter

Peter,

That's my wife's E-PM1 hanging there for it's dear life by a thin plastic MMF-3.  Who says a pen isn't balanced on a big lens?  I like how small that camera is, and the kit 14-42 is quite sharp.  We bought the pen mini to have an in-her-purse or in-my-coat pocket camera with higher quality than our older compacts.  I just yesterday bought the MMF-3 because I will be expanding to u4/3.  I'll decide between the new pen coming or the E-PL5.  Tried out all my lenses on it, they all work.  The CDAF is very accurate but slow.  I'm exited that there will be even better bodies available soon.

Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +13 more
OM 6Ti Plus
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, Mar 27, 2013

Geo Wharton wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Hi George,

It is the 300

Is that also the EC20 on the back of it George?

Mike

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Mar 27, 2013

I guess I can wait
if its a straight SLR and new sensor thats a no-brainer
anything else is just for consideration

I would have bought OMD if it had either 24p HD video or handled 43rds lenses better
but it did neither, which made me become a GH2 owner retaining my E5

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Geo Wharton
Like?
In reply to OM 6Ti Plus, Mar 27, 2013

Yes, with the EC-20.  I don't think I would ever use the E-PM1 this way, but was interesting to play with.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads