NEX-7. What can I do about this?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
ssscomp
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
NEX-7. What can I do about this?
Mar 25, 2013

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,984Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?
In reply to ssscomp, Mar 25, 2013

I've read that you can completely peel that off and get a replacement from third-party vendors on eBay. I wouldn't try it though, especially if it is just on the edges. Not like that part of the screen is important, anyway.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Mar 25, 2013

You can give it to Sony, at least on Europe they replaced the screen of a C3 of a friend of mine for free..

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312
Like?
In reply to paul1508, Mar 25, 2013

Should have put on a GCC Gorilla glass ($10 or less) onto it the day you bought it.

Now: bear the troubles you got the camera into ...

Or let Sony repair it and then put on a GGS screen protector immediately. Your choice.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 25, 2013

It is an AR coating. The one on my 5 started peeling pretty early and Sony repaired it under warranty. Haven't had that problem with the 7, but I've heard of a lot of people that have.

Not sure whether or how much Sony will charge to repair this out of warranty. It might also be worth checking with an optician to see if they can apply some of the same AR they use for glasses....

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Vegar Beider
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

ssscomp wrote:

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Hello ssscomp!

Attach one of these before your LCD gets worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BF-Model-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-glass-for-SONY-NEX-5N-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-C3-NEX-7-/110874360859?pt=UK_Photography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19d0a07c1b

regards

Vegar Beider's gear list:Vegar Beider's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 25, 2013

uhligfd wrote:

Should have put on a GCC Gorilla glass ($10 or less) onto it the day you bought it.

Or let Sony repair it and then put on a GGS screen protector immediately. Your choice.

I don't like using screen protectors as they hurt the anti-reflective (AR) performance and sometimes the resolution.  A glass screen protector shouldn't hurt the resolution, but I imagine it has bad glare?  Unless it is AR coated too, then you run into the same problem as the Sony, and it had better be gapless or AR coating won't help much since the internal layers can still reflect.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Mar 25, 2013

viking79 wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

I don't like using screen protectors as they hurt the anti-reflective (AR) performance and sometimes the resolution. A glass screen protector shouldn't hurt the resolution, but I imagine it has bad glare? Unless it is AR coated too, then you run into the same problem as the Sony, and it had better be gapless or AR coating won't help much since the internal layers can still reflect.

Eric

Sony do offer a quality protector for NEX-7. I use it from day 1 - 15 to 16 months by now and no problems what so ever. May be the screen gets a bit more reflective but is safe. I use viewfinder in strong light.

So get your screen fixed by Sony soon and get the NEX-7 protector  PCK-LM1EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3GRmGLGes

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,871Gear list
Like?
Thats the one
In reply to Vegar Beider, Mar 25, 2013

Vegar Beider wrote:

ssscomp wrote:

Hello ssscomp!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BF-Model-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-glass-for-SONY-NEX-5N-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-C3-NEX-7-/110874360859?pt=UK_Photography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19d0a07c1b

regards

Here the answer right here. Exactly it and get it as soon as you can.

I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

All the best and great advice.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
alextardif
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

zagg

Have this on my phones, ipad, and now NEX7.  Probably won't help you with a replacement, but I think it's the best option for a new screen in the future... strong, no fingerprints, easy application, reduces glare, and has a free lifetime replacement warranty.

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +5 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
In reply to alextardif, Mar 26, 2013

Unfortunately the LCD screens on the NEX cameras are notorious for poor wearing anti reflective coatings. In addition the type of plastic used to cover the LCD is quite soft & is relatively easy to mark.

I second those who suggest using a glass protection screen from new , it will be the best decision that you ever made. If the camera is still under warranty phone Sony service & ask for a free repair & let us know their response.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774
Like?
Re: Thats the one
In reply to nzmacro, Mar 26, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

Vegar Beider wrote:

ssscomp wrote:

Hello ssscomp!

regards

Here the answer right here. Exactly it and get it as soon as you can.

I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

Ebay page says does not ship to United States.  Anyone in the US have alternative suggestions?

Michael

bongo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,669Gear list
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, Mar 27, 2013

wHAT do you do to go thru so many screen protectors?   How do they "wear out'.   How do you remove the old one without damaging the LCD screen?

bongo's gear list:bongo's gear list
Leica X Vario
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to bongo, Mar 27, 2013

bongo wrote:

wHAT do you do to go thru so many screen protectors?   How do they "wear out'.   How do you remove the old one without damaging the LCD screen?

Mine lives in a large bag with a 500mm lens on it or the 800mm. That gets thrown in the car everyday. Dropped the NEX-7 twice so far and the rest have cracked just banging into things. The one I have on at the moment is cracked I'll leave it that way for awhile, I only use the EVF anyway.

To get them off you get a sharp blade under one corner and they generally just peel off. Sometimes they come off in two or three bits. As long as you are careful, its fine and the original screen is perfect. I'm an expert at it now days.

All the best and yep, my 7 gets a very hard time, all cameras have.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Boomr46
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Mar 27, 2013

Here's a pricey but excellent solution that I've used for more than a year on my Nex-7.  (Check the Giottos site and it states that the Nex-5 version also fits the Nex-7...and it does perfectly).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822992-REG/Giottos_SP83017_Aegis_M_C_Schott_LCD.html

-- hide signature --

Supermatic

macsoft4
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to Boomr46, Mar 28, 2013

I had that problem with my NEX 5. I completely removed it, but tried several 3rd party screens and films, and it always was much more reflective than the original.

My advice: leave it be until you can still use it.

My NEX 7 still does not have that problem... i was hoping it was a NEX 5/3 only problem... so it seams I was wrong :S

Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
My experience
In reply to macsoft4, Mar 28, 2013

My Nex-7 screen got the nasty peel look around the black border. It does not appear that the film on the 7 peels off like the films on the other models.

I then managed to break the screen while riding a bike. No choice but to send it to Sony with the plea to handle it under warranty because the screen was obviously bad prior to me actually breaking it and they would have had to warranty it anyway.

And that they did!

Can't complain about the service I got from Sony!

I immediately applied a glass screen, the Vello brand. I have not compared it to other brands and have no idea about the relative quality.

Does it glare? Yes, somewhat more than the original alone, but I could never use it in the sun anyway, no screen on any camera, and that is one reason I chose the 7 and its viewfinder. I can take a photo on sunny days! The screen is good overhead, inside, on days without direct sun on it... same as before for me.

What I do not know is if the replacement Sony screen is improved over the one it shipped with. Also, note that the defect did not effect actually using the camera, but it looked really ragged.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads