NEX-7. What can I do about this?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ssscomp Junior Member • Posts: 30
NEX-7. What can I do about this?

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
El Matadurr Senior Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

I've read that you can completely peel that off and get a replacement from third-party vendors on eBay. I wouldn't try it though, especially if it is just on the edges. Not like that part of the screen is important, anyway.

matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
paul1508 Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

You can give it to Sony, at least on Europe they replaced the screen of a C3 of a friend of mine for free..

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 1,913
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

Should have put on a GCC Gorilla glass ($10 or less) onto it the day you bought it.

Now: bear the troubles you got the camera into ...

Or let Sony repair it and then put on a GGS screen protector immediately. Your choice.

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,223
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

It is an AR coating. The one on my 5 started peeling pretty early and Sony repaired it under warranty. Haven't had that problem with the 7, but I've heard of a lot of people that have.

Not sure whether or how much Sony will charge to repair this out of warranty. It might also be worth checking with an optician to see if they can apply some of the same AR they use for glasses....

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

 SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Vegar Beider Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?
1

ssscomp wrote:

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Hello ssscomp!

Attach one of these before your LCD gets worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BF-Model-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-glass-for-SONY-NEX-5N-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-C3-NEX-7-/110874360859?pt=UK_Photography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19d0a07c1b

regards

 Vegar Beider's gear list:Vegar Beider's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

uhligfd wrote:

Should have put on a GCC Gorilla glass ($10 or less) onto it the day you bought it.

Now: bear the troubles you got the camera into ...

Or let Sony repair it and then put on a GGS screen protector immediately. Your choice.

I don't like using screen protectors as they hurt the anti-reflective (AR) performance and sometimes the resolution.  A glass screen protector shouldn't hurt the resolution, but I imagine it has bad glare?  Unless it is AR coated too, then you run into the same problem as the Sony, and it had better be gapless or AR coating won't help much since the internal layers can still reflect.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,020
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

viking79 wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

Should have put on a GCC Gorilla glass ($10 or less) onto it the day you bought it.

Now: bear the troubles you got the camera into ...

Or let Sony repair it and then put on a GGS screen protector immediately. Your choice.

I don't like using screen protectors as they hurt the anti-reflective (AR) performance and sometimes the resolution. A glass screen protector shouldn't hurt the resolution, but I imagine it has bad glare? Unless it is AR coated too, then you run into the same problem as the Sony, and it had better be gapless or AR coating won't help much since the internal layers can still reflect.

Eric

Sony do offer a quality protector for NEX-7. I use it from day 1 - 15 to 16 months by now and no problems what so ever. May be the screen gets a bit more reflective but is safe. I use viewfinder in strong light.

So get your screen fixed by Sony soon and get the NEX-7 protector  PCK-LM1EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3GRmGLGes

 Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha a6300
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 12,849
Thats the one

Vegar Beider wrote:

ssscomp wrote:

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Hello ssscomp!

Attach one of these before your LCD gets worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BF-Model-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-glass-for-SONY-NEX-5N-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-C3-NEX-7-/110874360859?pt=UK_Photography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19d0a07c1b

regards

Here the answer right here. Exactly it and get it as soon as you can.

I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

All the best and great advice.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
alextardif
alextardif Contributing Member • Posts: 975
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

zagg

Have this on my phones, ipad, and now NEX7.  Probably won't help you with a replacement, but I think it's the best option for a new screen in the future... strong, no fingerprints, easy application, reduces glare, and has a free lifetime replacement warranty.

 alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 II Sony Alpha 7R II +10 more
Keit ll Senior Member • Posts: 3,703
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

Unfortunately the LCD screens on the NEX cameras are notorious for poor wearing anti reflective coatings. In addition the type of plastic used to cover the LCD is quite soft & is relatively easy to mark.

I second those who suggest using a glass protection screen from new , it will be the best decision that you ever made. If the camera is still under warranty phone Sony service & ask for a free repair & let us know their response.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Michael Everett Senior Member • Posts: 1,916
Re: Thats the one

nzmacro wrote:

Vegar Beider wrote:

ssscomp wrote:

My NEX-7 gets a fair amount of use and the film covering the LCD on the back, I assume some kind of antireflective coating, is wearing out on the edges. Is there anything I can do?

Hello ssscomp!

Attach one of these before your LCD gets worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BF-Model-GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-glass-for-SONY-NEX-5N-NEX-5-NEX-3-NEX-C3-NEX-7-/110874360859?pt=UK_Photography_Screen_Protectors&hash=item19d0a07c1b

regards

Here the answer right here. Exactly it and get it as soon as you can.

I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

Ebay page says does not ship to United States.  Anyone in the US have alternative suggestions?

Michael

bongo Senior Member • Posts: 1,673
Re: Thats the one
I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

wHAT do you do to go thru so many screen protectors?   How do they "wear out'.   How do you remove the old one without damaging the LCD screen?

 bongo's gear list:bongo's gear list
Leica X Vario
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 12,849
Re: Thats the one

bongo wrote:

I bought 10 of those and because the NEX-7 gets a very hard time, I"m on my 6th one at the moment. Surprising how tough the 7 is and it can take a beating, but those glass covers are excellent !!!!!

wHAT do you do to go thru so many screen protectors?   How do they "wear out'.   How do you remove the old one without damaging the LCD screen?

Mine lives in a large bag with a 500mm lens on it or the 800mm. That gets thrown in the car everyday. Dropped the NEX-7 twice so far and the rest have cracked just banging into things. The one I have on at the moment is cracked I'll leave it that way for awhile, I only use the EVF anyway.

To get them off you get a sharp blade under one corner and they generally just peel off. Sometimes they come off in two or three bits. As long as you are careful, its fine and the original screen is perfect. I'm an expert at it now days.

All the best and yep, my 7 gets a very hard time, all cameras have.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Boomr46 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

Here's a pricey but excellent solution that I've used for more than a year on my Nex-7.  (Check the Giottos site and it states that the Nex-5 version also fits the Nex-7...and it does perfectly).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822992-REG/Giottos_SP83017_Aegis_M_C_Schott_LCD.html

-- hide signature --

Supermatic

macsoft4 Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: NEX-7. What can I do about this?

I had that problem with my NEX 5. I completely removed it, but tried several 3rd party screens and films, and it always was much more reflective than the original.

My advice: leave it be until you can still use it.

My NEX 7 still does not have that problem... i was hoping it was a NEX 5/3 only problem... so it seams I was wrong :S

Carlgo Contributing Member • Posts: 532
My experience

My Nex-7 screen got the nasty peel look around the black border. It does not appear that the film on the 7 peels off like the films on the other models.

I then managed to break the screen while riding a bike. No choice but to send it to Sony with the plea to handle it under warranty because the screen was obviously bad prior to me actually breaking it and they would have had to warranty it anyway.

And that they did!

Can't complain about the service I got from Sony!

I immediately applied a glass screen, the Vello brand. I have not compared it to other brands and have no idea about the relative quality.

Does it glare? Yes, somewhat more than the original alone, but I could never use it in the sun anyway, no screen on any camera, and that is one reason I chose the 7 and its viewfinder. I can take a photo on sunny days! The screen is good overhead, inside, on days without direct sun on it... same as before for me.

What I do not know is if the replacement Sony screen is improved over the one it shipped with. Also, note that the defect did not effect actually using the camera, but it looked really ragged.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads