Upgrading from Nikon D70

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
axtron
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Upgrading from Nikon D70
Mar 25, 2013

I have the chance (my wife has said I can!) to upgrade my trusty D70 and was hoping get some advice about which product of the new range to choose. The camera is not tested too much and mostly travels around the world with me on holiday plus some excursions into Northumberland. I like the Nikon brand and so want to stay with this.

I am anticipating - and to be corrected - being able to use my existing lenses. The one I have in my hand at the moment is a Nikon DX 55-200.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
A. Westreich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading from Nikon D70
In reply to axtron, Mar 25, 2013

First of all, buy that woman a nice dinner.

The D7100 is the new kid on the block, and should work with any lens that worked with your D70.  The D7000 will also work with your lenses, it will still be a big jump in quality from your D70, and will save you some money (a second dinner for that woman!).  These are the direct upgrades from your current camera.

The D5100 and D5200 may or may not work with your present lenses as it doesn't have an in-camera motor to run non- af-s lenses.

One thing is that higher resolution cameras make more demands on the quality of the lens.  A lens that is perfectly acceptable on the D70 may show some of its weaknesses on the newer high mega-pixel cameras.

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to A. Westreich, Mar 25, 2013

If the D7000 and D7100 are a bit higher priced than you care to go, a D90 would also be excellent, and two generations newer than your D70 (D80 was in between). It also focuses either the older or newer lenses.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
MyklDevlin
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to axtron, Mar 25, 2013

With the D70 there is a focus motor on the body.... that means you can use lenses that have no integrated focus motor....

Look up the 50mm 1.8D  vs the 50mm 1.8G.

The D7000 series has that motor.

The D3000 and D5000 series do not.

One other thing to check on is that the lower level D3000 and D5000 series do not allow you to use Nikon's off camera flash system directly... you need to buy extra stuff.

If these couple of things mean nothing to you, then go into a camera shop, start picking them up and choose one that you like the price and feel of.  The D70 was a great camera, but the technology has moved on - you will be happy with anything you buy!  (but go with the 7100 if money is no object!)

Mykl

MyklDevlin's gear list:MyklDevlin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
axtron
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to axtron, Mar 26, 2013

Thank you to everyone who has come back to me.

The D70 was my first DSLR and it has proved to be a great camera. Cannot say that I have moved much on from being a newbie but I do like the quality of images I can get from a DSLR over a compact. Your responses have helped me make my decision.... I think I will go for D5200 as it seems like a great camera. In all honesty >£1K for a 7100 body is unjustifiable and even with a good dinner, I doubt the Mrs would agree to that level of expenditure

My main concern are the lenses. I have only two but from a quick check, they appear to have a motor on the lens which would get around the 5200's lack of motor on the body.

Have found that I can get the 5200 body in John Lewis at £500 once I reclaim £50 refund.

If I have missed something, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Thank you again for your responses - all appreciated.

Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,140Gear list
Like?

The D5200 will be a very good camera. Enjoy!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807
Like?
In reply to Lightpath48, Mar 26, 2013

It depends on your priorities and budget

I upgraded a week ago from a D70s to a D90. For the same money I could have had a newer sensor in a D5100.

But in the end i stuck with the D90 which has a much better pentaprism view finder and in viewfinder composition grid

I've enjoyed the up grade but of course my photos are no better

OOPs just scen that the money is spent

I'm sure you'l love your new camera!

Bernard Delley
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
actually the D7100 (or D7000) is the follow up in the D70 line

This comes when you compare the outlines of the camera body.

You might regret a step back in the ergonomics if you decide for a follow up of the small body lines (D40 etc).

If money forbids the D7100, you might tke advantage and get a bargain on the D7000, definitely one of the best ever (another lucky 7). I can personally testify to that. see also how Rockwell compares the 7100 to 7000

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7100.htm

There might also be ebay deals appearing from people who always want the latest.

rkumar
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?
Handle the D5200 before you buy...

axtron wrote:

Thank you to everyone who has come back to me.

The D70 was my first DSLR and it has proved to be a great camera. Cannot say that I have moved much on from being a newbie but I do like the quality of images I can get from a DSLR over a compact. Your responses have helped me make my decision.... I think I will go for D5200 as it seems like a great camera. In all honesty >£1K for a 7100 body is unjustifiable and even with a good dinner, I doubt the Mrs would agree to that level of expenditure

My main concern are the lenses. I have only two but from a quick check, they appear to have a motor on the lens which would get around the 5200's lack of motor on the body.

Have found that I can get the 5200 body in John Lewis at £500 once I reclaim £50 refund.

If I have missed something, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Thank you again for your responses - all appreciated.

Coming from the D70, it is possible you may not like the grip, lack of top LCD, viewfinder size, etc. I dont think D5200 will AF with the older "D" lenses either. So try to handle the body in a store before buying.

john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807
Like?
Re: Handle the D5200 before you buy...
In reply to rkumar, Mar 26, 2013

The D70 had a pentamirror, basicall the same view finder as the D5200. Althought the D5200 lacks lines to aid composition

rb0321
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
Re: Handle the D5200 before you buy...
In reply to john Clinch, Mar 27, 2013

john Clinch wrote:

The D70 had a pentamirror, basicall the same view finder as the D5200. Althought the D5200 lacks lines to aid composition

The D5200 should have lines if you want them, even my D5000 does ----> Custom settings menu, item d2, viewfinder grid display, on/off.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads