Looking for recommendations for a dual monitor setup

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
Steviepix
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Looking for recommendations for a dual monitor setup
Mar 25, 2013

I have been using a 19 inch CRT monitor for my main photo work with a small 15inch CRT  to put the palettes on and as secondary monitor generally (viewing TV , movies, extending desktop a little when needed etc etc). The 15 inch has now given up and the 19 inch is not far behind it so I am in the market for 2 new monitors.
Desk space is a bit limited so I am looking at a 23/24 inch for the main monitor and 19/20 inch for the second monitor.
90% of my output is for web\online work and my prints get sent out which uses jpg anyway so I guess I am not in the market for a wide gamut monitor, or am I missing out? Ideally I would spend no more than about £300/$400 for the main monitor but I would spend up to £450 if it gave me something special. I would spend up to about £150/$200 for the secondary monitor.
No idea on what secondary monitor would be best so I am very open to suggestions on this.
On the main monitor I have been thinking about the Dell U2412M (would I gain much by moving to  the U2413?) or the Asus PA248Q. Other monitors I have been considering include the AOC i2353Fh and the Viewsonic  VP2365 which seem to have reasonable reviews and come at a bargain price. Any thoughts on these and are there any others that I should also be considering in my price range?
Thanks for any thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Steve

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,404
Like?
Re: Looking for recommendations for a dual monitor setup
In reply to Steviepix, Mar 26, 2013

Steviepix wrote:

I have been using a 19 inch CRT monitor for my main photo work with a small 15inch CRT to put the palettes on and as secondary monitor generally (viewing TV , movies, extending desktop a little when needed etc etc). The 15 inch has now given up and the 19 inch is not far behind it so I am in the market for 2 new monitors.
Desk space is a bit limited so I am looking at a 23/24 inch for the main monitor and 19/20 inch for the second monitor.
90% of my output is for web\online work and my prints get sent out which uses jpg anyway so I guess I am not in the market for a wide gamut monitor, or am I missing out? Ideally I would spend no more than about £300/$400 for the main monitor but I would spend up to £450 if it gave me something special. I would spend up to about £150/$200 for the secondary monitor.
No idea on what secondary monitor would be best so I am very open to suggestions on this.
On the main monitor I have been thinking about the Dell U2412M (would I gain much by moving to the U2413?) or the Asus PA248Q. Other monitors I have been considering include the AOC i2353Fh and the Viewsonic VP2365 which seem to have reasonable reviews and come at a bargain price. Any thoughts on these and are there any others that I should also be considering in my price range?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve, do you already own a calibrator?

I  like the new U2413 but it may blow your budget especially if you need to get a new calibrator because you have an older unit that is not able to handle wide gamut.

You can always put a very inexpensive 22 inch 1920x1080 6bit+AFRC IPS monitor next to the U2413 to keep the budget down.  I've seen several here as low as $140 CAD for a very basic unit.

As to 8bit sRGB gamut monitors.... there's got to be a Hazro or EIZO in you area that is good.  The Dell U2412M (I have one) is not too bad but there's better out there.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steviepix
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Mar 26, 2013

NewsyL wrote:

Steviepix wrote:

I have been using a 19 inch CRT monitor for my main photo work with a small 15inch CRT to put the palettes on and as secondary monitor generally (viewing TV , movies, extending desktop a little when needed etc etc). The 15 inch has now given up and the 19 inch is not far behind it so I am in the market for 2 new monitors.
On the main monitor I have been thinking about the Dell U2412M (would I gain much by moving to the U2413?) or the Asus PA248Q. Other monitors I have been considering include the AOC i2353Fh and the Viewsonic VP2365 which seem to have reasonable reviews and come at a bargain price. Any thoughts on these and are there any others that I should also be considering in my price range?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes, although it is a Spyder 3, which is not good for the....

I like the new U2413 but it may blow your budget especially if you need to get a new calibrator because you have an older unit that is not able to handle wide gamut.

Hmm. That is a thought. I could jut about stretch to one if I go extra cheap on the  second monitor and then just save a bit more to get a compatible calibrator. Certainly worth giving it some more thought.

You can always put a very inexpensive 22 inch 1920x1080 6bit+AFRC IPS monitor next to the U2413 to keep the budget down. I've seen several here as low as $140 CAD for a very basic unit.

Good thought. It doesn't have to be anything to special - as long I don't have to squint when I look at it.

As to 8bit sRGB gamut monitors.... there's got to be a Hazro or EIZO in you area that is good. The Dell U2412M (I have one) is not too bad but there's better out there.

Thanks for the thought on the U2412M. I do read slightly contradictory reports on it which was one of the main reasons for my post.

Good pointers there and I am grateful to you for taking the trouble to respond. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Steve

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,337
Like?

Steviepix wrote:

Thanks for the thought on the U2412M. I do read slightly contradictory reports on it which was one of the main reasons for my post.

The U2412M is no EIZO. But it's a darn good value monitor for those of us a tight budget!

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,404
Like?

Steviepix wrote:

NewsyL wrote:

Steviepix wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts.

I like the new U2413 but it may blow your budget especially if you need to get a new calibrator because you have an older unit that is not able to handle wide gamut.

The Spyder3 sensor should be OK for the wide gamut U2413 - I believe it was always intended for use with standard or wide gamut monitors.  Much better than the Spyder2 and maybe not as accurate as the Spyder4 but.... so different that you need to consider upgrading to the 4? I doubt it.

Where it will not suffice is if you want to use the Dell calibration software to write to the internal LUT of the monitor.  For that you would have to go buy a Xrite i1 Display Pro to have the puck to use with the Dell software or perhaps Dell is now selling the puck as well.

-- hide signature --

BobSC
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979
Like?

I have a pair of 24" Samsung monitors (they're a few years old now) mounted vertical on tilt/swivel arms. I can rotate them horizontal if necessary, but it's rare.

If remote access is a possibility in the future that you'd like to keep open, then make them both the same resolution.

Philip
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,649
Like?
In reply to Steviepix, Mar 27, 2013

Go to Displayfusion.com.

I use it and it is very good plus customer service is exceptional.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Steviepix
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Mar 27, 2013

NewsyL wrote:

Steviepix wrote:

NewsyL wrote:

Steviepix wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts.

The Spyder3 sensor should be OK for the wide gamut U2413 - I believe it was always intended for use with standard or wide gamut monitors.  Much better than the Spyder2 and maybe not as accurate as the Spyder4 but.... so different that you need to consider upgrading to the 4? I doubt it.

Where it will not suffice is if you want to use the Dell calibration software to write to the internal LUT of the monitor.  For that you would have to go buy a Xrite i1 Display Pro to have the puck to use with the Dell software or perhaps Dell is now selling the puck as we

-- hide signature --

Many thanks for that further info. I guess I could try it woth the Spyder 3 and see how it goes. If necessary, I  could save up a bit more and get another later. Thanks for all your help on this.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Steviepix
Like?
In reply to BobSC, Mar 27, 2013

BobSC wrote:

I have a pair of 24" Samsung monitors (they're a few years old now) mounted vertical on tilt/swivel arms. I can rotate them horizontal if necessary, but it's rare.

If remote access is a possibility in the future that you'd like to keep open, then make them both the same resolution.

Rotation would be useful. I can't see that I would need remote access, but who knows what the future may bring? Thanks for the thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Steviepix
Like?
In reply to Philip, Mar 27, 2013

Philip wrote:

Go to Displayfusion.com.

I use it and it is very good plus customer service is exceptional.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Interesting site. Thanks for the heads up!

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads