Who's waiting for the Panasonic 43mm 1.2 O.I.S?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
jorden mosley
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Who's waiting for the Panasonic 43mm 1.2 O.I.S?
Mar 25, 2013

The announcement of this months back certainly changed my plans on what to save up for. I could see Panasonic users like myself interested, but I'm skeptical that Olympus users would be interested as well (considering the 45mm 1.8 is great and their bodies have IS built in). I also wonder if folks with super-fast Voigtlander or SLR Magic primes would have any interest. So who's eagerly awaiting this lens (whenever it comes out) and who has no interest at all and why?

jorden mosley's gear list:jorden mosley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +8 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,418Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's waiting for the Panasonic 43mm 1.2 O.I.S?
In reply to jorden mosley, Mar 25, 2013

jorden mosley wrote:

The announcement of this months back certainly changed my plans on what to save up for. I could see Panasonic users like myself interested, but I'm skeptical that Olympus users would be interested as well (considering the 45mm 1.8 is great and their bodies have IS built in). I also wonder if folks with super-fast Voigtlander or SLR Magic primes would have any interest. So who's eagerly awaiting this lens (whenever it comes out) and who has no interest at all and why?

I would not dismiss Olympus user interest out of hand. f1.2 with AF is very compelling no matter the body or IS system.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

jorden mosley wrote:

I currently have the Oly 45/1.8 with my OMD but would seriously consider the Panasonic. If its amazing wide open it might just tempt me to go for the OMD/43/1.2 combo instead of my Sony A900/85/1.4.

I shoot the 85/1.4 at 2-2.8 a lot, so a DOF equiv of 2.4 is actually pretty respectable, plus the light gathering qualities of a 1.2 lens for low light shooting would be great.

amipal
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?

I'm very interested in the Panasonic offering. Currently shooting with a GH2, and can see OIS being of use at that focal length particularly when you you start etching above f/7.1.

amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888Gear list
Like?

I am waiting for it. The Oly lens is tempting, but I have other priorities and can wait to see what the Panasonic lens offers and for what price.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: I am. No text.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

jorden mosley wrote:

The announcement of this months back certainly changed my plans on what to save up for. I could see Panasonic users like myself interested, but I'm skeptical that Olympus users would be interested as well (considering the 45mm 1.8 is great and their bodies have IS built in). . . So who's eagerly awaiting this lens (whenever it comes out) and who has no interest at all and why?

I have an OM-D and I put off buying the OLY 45/1.8 mainly because of the upcoming Panasonic lens.  I do a lot of flashless dim indoor and nightime street shooting.  Right now I'm shooting with the Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 as my main lens, which does a nice job already for me.  Dropping 1/2 stop from what I'd be using with the P/L means even less noise correction, a bit creamier backgrounds, and the longer focal length will give me the ability to shoot from a little further from my (often candid) subjects, without much noticable distance compression.  Additionally, jumping up to the OLY 45/1.8 would mean loosing 2/3 of an f-stop, adding more noise or motion blur--no thanks, if I can avoid it.

Day by day I save for this lens--honest.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: I am. No text.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Mar 25, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

OMMMMM. . .

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

I'm waiting for a long, long time ago although I'm still quite happy with Oly 45. Oly is not enough for indoor kid portrait

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
NoTx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734
Like?

jorden mosley wrote:

Sounds awesome.  And since I am waiting on lenses slowly... may end up on my list.

-- hide signature --

Rob aka NoTx...
-Always searching

josbiker
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

I have the Gh3 with the 12-35-/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8

So i shall buy the 43/1.2 (and sell my 20mm/1.7) than i have my

DREAMTEAM!

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
jorden mosley
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to josbiker, Mar 25, 2013

josbiker wrote:

I have the Gh3 with the 12-35-/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8

So i shall buy the 43/1.2 (and sell my 20mm/1.7) than i have my

DREAMTEAM!

That's my dream team set as well.

jorden mosley's gear list:jorden mosley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +8 more
farrukh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717
Like?
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,045Gear list
Like?

jorden mosley wrote:

Nah.

I'm waiting for the Voigtländer 42.5mm f0.95. Until then, my Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar will do.

AF is for wimps…

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Future user
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Easy answer

Olympus users who are happy with f1.8 won't buy the f1.2.

Olympus users who are unhappy with f1.8 will buy the f1.2

Panasonic users who are happy with f1.8 yet want/need OIS will buy the f1.2

Panasonic users who are happy with f1.8 and don't want/need OIS won't buy the f1.2

Panasonic users who are unhappy with f1.8 will buy the f1.2

As to me, the 45mm f1.8 is hard to beat: small, light, very sharp from f1.8 and very affordable.

David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,265Gear list
Like?
Speed addict

The Pany sounds like a great option, provided the optics are up to the Oly 45mm standard.

But the one I'm really waiting for is the upcoming Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95! The two existing Voigt M43 lenses are beauties. Neither light nor inexpensive...but the way they render light is just gorgeous.

Like other folks have said, go for the Pany if you have a Pany camera and value the lens-based OIS. If you can live without AF and want to walk on the wild side a bit, the Voigt should be quite something.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,265Gear list
Like?
M43 Speed & Depth Of Field
In reply to jeffharris, Mar 25, 2013

jeffharris wrote:

Nah.

I'm waiting for the Voigtländer 42.5mm f0.95. Until then, my Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar will do.

AF is for wimps…

Hehe. I've also got the Voigt on my list.

I've used my Pentax 50mm f/1.2 a bit on the OM-D5. Interestingly, light transmission is increased over the f/1.4...but DOF hardly seems affected. Even the Oly 45mm f/1.8 is very similar DOF-wise...the Pentax has a creamier blur but it doesn't look like less detail is being rendered. Something I'll have to dig into...

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,796Gear list
Like?

I have the Oly 45/1.8 and like it.  Still if the Pana 43/1.2 has image quality like the Pana 25/1.4 I will buy it.  So most likely I will not be an early buyer.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,860Gear list
Like?
Not me! It's too short ...

… must be the full 45! LOL.

Actually, I have the Oly f1.8 45 and I simply cannot see any advantage to shifting from that. It’s an excellent lens. DOF? I don’t want any less, thank you very much! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Not me! It's too short ...
In reply to Hen3ry, Mar 25, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

… must be the full 45! LOL.

Actually, I have the Oly f1.8 45 and I simply cannot see any advantage to shifting from that. It’s an excellent lens. DOF? I don’t want any less, thank you very much!

Cheers, geoff

F/1.2 is only for candle and night photos.

Or for those who like shallow DOF.

I am kidding, the lens must be great at medium apertures.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads