Tango in Buenos Aires

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
jammin2
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Tango in Buenos Aires
Mar 25, 2013

Thought I'd share a couple of shots I took yesterday on the streets of Buenos Aires.

Taken with E 55-210mm

Taken with E PZ 16-50mm

Post production in Lightroom ... I haven't taken a lot of this sort of shot in the past, tips and critiques welcome.

jammin2's gear list:jammin2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,236
Like?
Re: Tango in Buenos Aires
In reply to jammin2, Mar 25, 2013

Beautiful shots!

That said, I would fiddle with the white balance: the pics look brown-gray but it is not  a sepia version as the brick wall is red ...

Also i noted that at ISO 1600, your first couple is crisp while the ISO 800 one shows motion blur. Both convey different motions, emotions so both are good, yet different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,766
Like?

Love the couple in the second shot. The gentleman is perfect.

Are these people doing it as a show for tourists ?

As for the semi-sepia, I think it is OK. They would be a bit dark for a print.

For realistic sepia, convert to black-and-white and use Duotones in Photoshop. The second colour wants to be a russet brown. Set the curves so that there is more black in the shadows and more colour in the highlights.

You can do any colour of toning in Duotones.

jammin2
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the comments.  I desaturated most of the colours except left a bit of red in - not something I've done before but was trying to differentiate them from the holiday snaps and give an old-world feel.  I'll play with some of the other sepia techniques too.

I also darkened the background of the one with the older gentleman to emphasise the subject - I'd like to experiment more with panning with the subject to blur the background but it would be quite a different look.

These were both free shows for tips in the SanTelmo area.  The older guy was incredible, what a life he must have led!  Tango is everywhere in this city!

jammin2's gear list:jammin2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,641Gear list
Like?

jammin2 wrote:

Thought I'd share a couple of shots I took yesterday on the streets of Buenos Aires.

Taken with E 55-210mm

Taken with E PZ 16-50mm

Post production in Lightroom ... I haven't taken a lot of this sort of shot in the past, tips and critiques welcome.

Really excellent and exciting!

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
timewaster
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Mar 25, 2013

i actually like the WB you used for these shots.

it sets the mood for the pics.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?

Nice, I love these kind of shots. A shame people don't just get up and dance where I live.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads