Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Questions
ArchiDeos
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Re: 200 f/2.8
In reply to Philip Kendall, Mar 26, 2013

Well for my point of view, this will be a long term investment for a glass, that's why I'm considering all the pro's and con's of a Lens. If I'll go with 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS but a much more expensive glass and maybe a one time purchase for me, I can go and push the limit of it, instead of a cheaper one and you regrets the con's later, and you want to upgrade again and again. So maybe, as a newby here it is hard to decide whether you go for the L-series or the other way around. Have a nice day Sir.

ArchiDeos's gear list:ArchiDeos's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,689
Like?
Re: Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens
In reply to ArchiDeos, Mar 26, 2013

ArchiDeos wrote:

The new L lens "24-70mm f/2.8L II USM" got my attention, but the price is not reasonable on budget

Wouldn't "budget L lens" qualify as an oxymoron?

ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,284Gear list
Like?
Consider sports requirements more carefully
In reply to ArchiDeos, Mar 26, 2013

The pro's viewpoint is something like this: If you need it, then buy it.  If you don't need it, or if it doesn't work well, then find a more optimal solution.  If you're serious about doing basketball, depending on the positions you're going to use, you should be looking at:

70-200 f/2.8

24-70 f/2.8 or 16-35 f/2.8

A flash or overhead strobe, depending on the regular lighting conditions

The skills to use it all

Basketball photography isn't compatible with the loose requirements for "walkaround" and "vacation."  You can have a sports kit that works as a "walkaround" kit, but if you try it in reverse, you don't even have a chance.

ArchiDeos
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Re: Consider sports requirements more carefully
In reply to ARShutterbug, Mar 26, 2013

:-)Totally agree with your thought Sir. Now I know, somewhat I'm in the right side of the coin. That being said, EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM and for future lens EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS USM is the right choice I've been saving for.. I do consider 3rd party also but I prefer in one brand. Thank you Sir and I appreciate it..

ArchiDeos's gear list:ArchiDeos's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads