Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Questions
ArchiDeos
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens
Mar 25, 2013

:-)Hey Guys.. Need some advice here. I'm new as everybody says, I'm planning to sell my 7D kit-lens EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5 IS this coming summer and hopefully buy the L series lens Canon has to offer and to maximise the 7D Body capability and of course for a everyday walk-around Lens. I know most of our readers here are pro or semi-pro and they know what they are talking about base from their experience. I red a lot of Lens review from the web but if possble I want the real word to comment on this. The new L lens "24-70mm f/2.8L II USM" got my attention, but the price is not reasonable on budget at this time cause I'm planning also to buy the nifty fifty 1.4 for video and for a telephoto lens, 70-200mm f/2.8L early next year for a schedule vacation. Thanks in advance.. and keep up the good reviews DPR..

ArchiDeos's gear list:ArchiDeos's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Philip Kendall
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens
In reply to ArchiDeos, Mar 25, 2013

If you really, really think you need an L lens, look at the 24-105. However, I suspect you may be better off with one of the better quality EF-S lenses like the 15-85.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,426Gear list
Like?
Buy what you need

I suggest that you don't sell the 18-135 lens, and buy what you actually need.  If you need a 24-70, or a 24-105, or a 17-55, then that's what you should buy.  The 7D is not maximised by using it for "everyday walk-around" photography, regardless of the lens that you put on it.  For that purpose, you should be looking for a lens that offers convenience and IS, which you already have, and that's why Canon sells that lens as a kit lens.

ArchiDeos
Like?
Re: Buy what you need
In reply to ARShutterbug, Mar 25, 2013

Thank you very much Sir for the nice advice.. I  took pictures for my brothers basketball events last month and sometimes the kit lens can not focus very well in moving targets. Thats is why I'm considering the L lens option.. but maybe it is me having a problem not the lens at all.. need constant practice.. Thank you again Sir..

ArchiDeos
Like?
In reply to Philip Kendall, Mar 25, 2013

That was my plan Sir, but considering some good advice may be I need plan B to work out. Im having a bad experience last month where the kit lens can't focus very well in moving targets, thats why im considering the L lens. This coming summer, my brother is one of the player who joined the local tournament and hoping i can get a good action shooting. By the way Sir, thanks for the good input..

Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619
Like?
70-200mm

Back when I was a student, the 70-200mm was my dream lens. Then I rented one. The thing weighs 1.3kg -- the same as a laptop, was close to 20cm long. Before I tried it, I really did not think I would mind. After using one, I realized this was an object I would never use, and I saved myself close to $2000.

I ended up with a wonderful 85mm f/1.4 instead. With crops, this behaves much like an 85-170mm f/1.4-2.8. It's reasonably compact, and generally works stunningly well (upgrading my glass from really did make a very big difference in quality of phoos).

You take different photos than I do, so I'm not advising specific equipment. I am advising that before you plop down $2000 on glass, you rent or otherwise try before you buy.

ARShutterbug
Like?
Walkaround isn't basketball

Yes, but basketball photography isn't "walkaround" photography.  If it is to you, then you need those f/2.8 telephoto lenses.  For "walkaround" photography, a lens like the 18-135 or 24-105 is preferable.  I use the 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 lens with my 7D.

ArchiDeos
Like?
Re: 70-200mm
In reply to Alphoid, Mar 25, 2013

Thank you Sir for the insight.. Luckily I already use one time from my friend the 70-200mm f/4 with a 1.4x teleconverter.. the weight is an issue here, but I need the focal length of 200mm to get the photos what i want specially for the scheduled vacation next year. Hoping I can save some bucks to get that lens... Have a nice day Sir...

ArchiDeos
Like?
Re: Walkaround isn't basketball

Thanks again Sir, well it is my mistake i did not elaborate well my thoughts, hoping i can use for a sports photography and use also as a "everyday walk-around" lens. Have a nice day Sir..

ARShutterbug
Like?
No more wide-angle

I can use a telephoto as a "walkaround" lens, but the lack of a wide-angle can be limiting.  It depends on what you're doing with it, but a lens like the 24-105 f/4 lens is lighter and smaller, and goes from wide-angle to medium telephoto.

Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619
Like?
Re: 70-200mm

The f/4 version is very reasonable to handle, at about half of the weight of the f/2.8.

ArchiDeos
Like?
Re: 200 f/2.8

:-)Very much appreciated for your time Sir.. thanks for the info.. Now Im a little confused knowing some lens to fit my needs. Should I go for the EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM as you mentioned or go with EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM..

JTuuti
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

Since the 24-105mm is coming as a kit lens for a _really_ good price, I suspect there should be a good number of those being sold 2nd hand.  Worth checking out.

ArchiDeos
Like?
In reply to JTuuti, Mar 25, 2013

Thanks Bro.. Appreciate it.. need to check the lens review also..

Philip Kendall
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
Re: 200 f/2.8

ArchiDeos wrote:

:-)Very much appreciated for your time Sir.. thanks for the info.. Now Im a little confused knowing some lens to fit my needs. Should I go for the EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM as you mentioned or go with EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM..

What makes you think you need more than the EF-S 55-250 or, stepping up a bit, the EF 70-300?

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Port Royal Dad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,651
Like?
Understand your shooting needs.

ArchiDeos wrote:

:-)Hey Guys.. Need some advice here. I'm new as everybody says, I'm planning to sell my 7D kit-lens EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5 IS this coming summer and hopefully buy the L series lens Canon has to offer and to maximise the 7D Body capability and of course for a everyday walk-around Lens. I know most of our readers here are pro or semi-pro and they know what they are talking about base from their experience. I red a lot of Lens review from the web but if possble I want the real word to comment on this. The new L lens "24-70mm f/2.8L II USM" got my attention, but the price is not reasonable on budget at this time cause I'm planning also to buy the nifty fifty 1.4 for video and for a telephoto lens, 70-200mm f/2.8L early next year for a schedule vacation. Thanks in advance.. and keep up the good reviews DPR..

I would recommend that you closely evaluate your shooting needs, eg, events, lighting conditions, indoors/outdoors, shooting position (fixed focal, zoom), constant aperture, etc.

Carefully read, and print out various lens reviews, and use a big-ol orange or yellow highlighter and make a list of the pro's and con's that the lens has to offer, and how it fits your shooting needs.

Here's a very good site that has well written reviews for lens'. The Digital Picture Dot Com

Perhaps you want a lens with a constant aperture? A zoom lens perhaps has a lot more versatility than a fixed? Do you need a lens with IS?  Do you need a lens with a wide aperture?

Just because you have an expensive "L" lens attached to your camera for all the world to see and admire, this will not make your shots an over night sensation, or turn you into a professional sensation. You reallly need to have a good grasp of the basics of exposure, lighting, and composition....for example.  Understand these, and how you need a lens (it's a tool by the way), choosing one then becomes a lot easier.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

B.R.A.S.S. (Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze)
http://lh5.google.com/PortRoyalDad/Rwu_WzPG87I/AAAAAAAAAnU/fC0kmv_nhY0/s144/IMG_1479.JPG
A Link To - WilbaW's Unofficial Rebel Forum FAQ- http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?

ArchiDeos wrote:

:-)Hey Guys.. Need some advice here. I'm new as everybody says, I'm planning to sell my 7D kit-lens EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5 IS this coming summer and hopefully buy the L series lens Canon has to offer and to maximise the 7D Body capability and of course for a everyday walk-around Lens. I know most of our readers here are pro or semi-pro and they know what they are talking about base from their experience. I red a lot of Lens review from the web but if possble I want the real word to comment on this. The new L lens "24-70mm f/2.8L II USM" got my attention, but the price is not reasonable on budget at this time cause I'm planning also to buy the nifty fifty 1.4 for video and for a telephoto lens, 70-200mm f/2.8L early next year for a schedule vacation. Thanks in advance.. and keep up the good reviews DPR..

the 24-70 2.8 II is the best (and most expensive !)

there are close alternatives from Tamron and sigma that are almost as good and cost less so check them out in the lens section here or at  http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,180Gear list
Like?

Said before but imo on crop sensor the one to beat for walkaround is the 15-85. With a 70-200L of your flavour just perfect.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
ArchiDeos
Like?
Re: Understand your shooting needs.
In reply to Port Royal Dad, Mar 26, 2013

Highly appreciated you insight Sir. Thank you very much. I will do more research cause this will be a long term investment for a glass. Right now, the 50mm f/1.4 will be my prioty for my brother indoor basketball photography this coming summer. Hoping my 7D can catch up and focus moving targets as expected. Have a nice day Sir.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads