3 different HDR modes on the LX7 - what's the difference?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
3 different HDR modes on the LX7 - what's the difference?
Mar 25, 2013

I usually take multiple exposures and combine them using Photomatix or other software, but for everyday snapshots this takes more time and effort than I'd like.  So I've been checking the in-camera HDR of my LX7.  And I'm very confused.

There seem to be 3 ways of implementing HDR:

1. Intelligent Auto iHDR

2. "Creative Control" menus --> "High Dynamic" option

3. Scene Mode --> HDR

As far as I can tell from experimenting:

1. Intelligent Auto iHDR is activated automatically if the camera thinks it's necessary. i.e. I have no setting to make other than switch it on or off.

2. The "High Dynamic" option works from a single JPG but doesn't shoot bursts.  I can adjust the contrast, DOF and saturation via pressing the thumb dial.

3. HDR "Scene mode" shoots bursts, but automatically kicks in some auto subject-detection algorithm (green rectangles appear on screen before the shot is taken).  This mode also allows me no adjustments (and often gives me overblown highlights or underexposed shadows if, for example I'm shooting an interior with bright view through a window).

Of the 3 modes, only method 2 seems to give a well-balanced result with highlights recovered and shadows boosted.

Can anybody shed some light on what seems to be quite insufficiently explained in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,377
Like?
Re: 3 different HDR modes on the LX7 - what's the difference?
In reply to pavinder, Mar 25, 2013

You missed the most important one - Number 4 - take the image in RAW and use SillyPix 5 to create a wide dynamic range image in post. That works for me every time...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pavinder
Like?
In reply to trevmar, Mar 25, 2013

You missed the most important one - Number 4 - take the image in RAW and use SillyPix 5 to create a wide dynamic range image in post. That works for me every time...

As I said, I usually do HDR in post, definitely the best quality/flexibility.

My question here is about the in-camera options.

trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,377
Like?
In reply to pavinder, Mar 25, 2013

My point was that an HDR capability is built into SillyPix 5 developing. You don't need a separate application. You just move the slider to HDR the tones in each and every image you develop.

pavinder
Like?
In reply to trevmar, Mar 26, 2013

Ah, I wasn't aware. I'll definitely check that out as an option and post back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anybody able to explain differences between the way the iAuto/Scene/CreativeControl choices work?

Any help appreciated!

KaanG
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to pavinder, Mar 26, 2013

Option 3 gives much more brighter images for my liking and I find it useless.

pavinder
Like?
In reply to KaanG, Mar 27, 2013

Yes, I also found that option 3 often gives results which don't seem like they have a higher dynamic range at all.

Does nobody know or have a link to what these different menu options actually do, and how they vary from each other?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads