Samsung NX300 vs Sony A99 Noise Performance Test (link)

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
noonting
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Samsung NX300 vs Sony A99 Noise Performance Test (link)
Mar 25, 2013
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bryan M
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung NX300 vs Sony A99 Noise Performance Test (link)
In reply to noonting, Mar 25, 2013

Very impressive jpegs considering no noise reduction was applied. It looks like it does pretty well all the way up to iso 3200. It surprising to see how well it out performs the full frame A99.

-- hide signature --

Bryan
www.bcmcue.com

Bryan M's gear list:Bryan M's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
83cat
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?

Great great great, my investment in nx would not be wrong.

thankyou for the information.

83cat's gear list:83cat's gear list
Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
ChuckTa
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

noonting wrote:

Samsung NX300 + 45mm F1.8

Sony A99 + Sigma 50mm F1.7

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3719

Holy smoke!! NX300 hi ISO is much much better than I expected, not to mention the much better color compare to A99. Seems Samsung has aimed squarely at NX weak spot and Sony Nex strength and hit the bulls eye. Seems Samsung has really improved the jpeg engine or even the sensor.

But one thing to note that the link is from a Korean site and so maybe the comparison test might be a bit bias and need to be taken with a gain of salt. Nevertheless, a very good ref and I await more testing.

I was hoping for the price for NX300 to come down first before I buy, but if the above test is not too far off, then the price drop might not be so fast.:-(

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837
Like?
Not credible:

I did not check all the images but the few I checked using PhotoME had no useful exif data.  e.g. no camera name, iso setting. exposure details, focal length, etc.  All were processed in Adobe Photoshop CS6.   The images that ikhim linked to earlier did have intact exif data.

I'm not suggesting these are fake but there is nothing to authenticate them either.  Photoshop may only have been used for the cropping but that should not have removed the exif data.

We need to see detailed reviews by well known independent and respected photograhic sites and magazines.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,583Gear list
Like?
Hahaha..LMAO

And then the reactions to this prank...some of you really think this is a credible result, when we try a Sony A99 with the best possible outcome to the NX300 with the same best settings. Please: get real. it is very simple:

I see Korean characters and I know that in such cases what the outcome is. Samsung also showed us an APS-c sensor that appeared to be 4 imes the size of m43 sensor. In a Samsung add. Now this....

The NX300 may be a very good sensor, may be the best APS-c you can get. We'll find out soon. But this test is not very helpfull if it wants us to show a true comparison. The Sony sensor in the A99 will easily outperfrom any APS-c/m43 sensor. In my terms, and I rarely use such terms: it will blow it away.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Hahaha..LMAO
In reply to Jorginho, Mar 25, 2013

I won't comment on any of that ISO and image comparison until I tried it out myself which will most likely be much earlier than DPR doing a review (which I expect to come shortly after the NX410 is announced  as they most likely again are not getting any NX300 for review before March 2004).

My expectation is that the NX300 now has enough CPU power embedded to run better, more complex image processes at faster speed compare to before NX generation.

Cheers, Tjobbe

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 25, 2013

tjobbe wrote:

I won't comment on any of that ISO and image comparison until I tried it out myself which will most likely be much earlier than DPR doing a review (which I expect to come shortly after the NX410 is announced as they most likely again are not getting any NX300 for review before March 2004).

My expectation is that the NX300 now has enough CPU power embedded to run better, more complex image processes at faster speed compare to before NX generation.

Hey apparently the guys at DXO now also have realised that Samsung produces cameras, so maybe we'll see a DXO test of the NX300 even before the DPR review in 2014

But to be fair, DPR have already criticised Samsung before for not supplying any test copies .... and I don't think that Samsung should've been unhappy e.g. with the NX200 review. It was a fair review and the PROs and CONs were absolutely correct in my opinion. And DPR did say that it is a good camera.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837
Like?
Re: dpr nx reviews
In reply to wictred, Mar 25, 2013

Agreed. I doubt that Samsung are actually unhappy with dpr. It is more likely they don't fully comprehend dpr's influence on the world market. Samsung early marketing is always aimed at Korea just as Pentax only care about Japan.

o.t  Samsung marketing is not all bad.  Check out this video for one of their washing machines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryxAcsTcOA&feature=player_embedded#at=21

tjobbe
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 25, 2013

Not sure about Korea though as typically you can find the first reviews from some not that bad UK and German magazines and websites just at the release dates

WIth last NX20 the reviews had been published with few weeks after the release, while DPR is just still testing NX20 (which I still rate as a steel at current price compared to NEX/OM/Fuji)

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
ChuckTa
Like?

Jorginho wrote:

And then the reactions to this prank...some of you really think this is a credible result, when we try a Sony A99 with the best possible outcome to the NX300 with the same best settings. Please: get real. it is very simple:

I see Korean characters and I know that in such cases what the outcome is. Samsung also showed us an APS-c sensor that appeared to be 4 imes the size of m43 sensor. In a Samsung add. Now this....

The NX300 may be a very good sensor, may be the best APS-c you can get. We'll find out soon. But this test is not very helpfull if it wants us to show a true comparison. The Sony sensor in the A99 will easily outperfrom any APS-c/m43 sensor. In my terms, and I rarely use such terms: it will blow it away.

I don't understand how the A99 will blow any apsc sensor away, it is not exactly a star performer in regards to hi iso. Just have a quick check at the DPR image comparsion at raw, it can't even blow the NX200 away. Certainly not in 100% crop mode, maybe if you shrink the image down to screen size or smaller.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
ChuckTa
Like?

Coldamus wrote:

Agreed. I doubt that Samsung are actually unhappy with dpr. It is more likely they don't fully comprehend dpr's influence on the world market. Samsung early marketing is always aimed at Korea just as Pentax only care about Japan.

o.t Samsung marketing is not all bad. Check out this video for one of their washing machines:

I think Samsung is really serious this time. They hire Usain Bolt, the fastest man alive, as their spokeman.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/promotion/eventAllList.do?eventId=10562

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3725

UzminiNu
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
In reply to ChuckTa, Mar 25, 2013

you can even ssChuckTa wrote:

Coldamus wrote:

o.t Samsung marketing is not all bad. Check out this video for one of their washing machines:

I think Samsung is really serious this time. They hire Usain Bolt, the fastest man alive, as their spokeman.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/promotion/eventAllList.do?eventId=10562

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct_samsung&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3725

You can even see movement in his pants after touching the NX300.

A good sign..

Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?

Coldamus wrote:

dpr's influence on the world market.

[citation needed]

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30
tjobbe
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

I won't comment on any of that ISO and image comparison until I tried it out myself which will most likely be much earlier than DPR doing a review (which I expect to come shortly after the NX410 is announced as they most likely again are not getting any NX300 for review before March 2004).

To quote myself:

I will be quicker than DPR for sure  and if Amazon does predict delivery dates accurately get my hands on it on Thursday.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,583Gear list
Like?
Ooopsss....my error...
In reply to ChuckTa, Mar 25, 2013

I thought this was about the Alpha 99. Not the A99. I am ashamed and will shut up for awhile

Yes, the translucent mirror won't help too much I htink with the A99. The Samsung could indeed be better. Sorry for my rather BIG mistake.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
83cat
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

To quote myself:

I will be quicker than DPR for sure and if Amazon does predict delivery dates accurately get my hands on it on Thursday.

Great great great, waiting for you.....hah

83cat's gear list:83cat's gear list
Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
Re: Ooopsss....my error...

Jorginho wrote:

I thought this was about the Alpha 99. Not the A99. I am ashamed and will shut up for awhile

Yes, the translucent mirror won't help too much I htink with the A99. The Samsung could indeed be better. Sorry for my rather BIG mistake.

What is an Alpha A99?

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

To quote myself:

I will be quicker than DPR for sure and if Amazon does predict delivery dates accurately get my hands on it on Thursday.

Will you be on here Friday then? please?

-- hide signature --

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 25, 2013

timedrun wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

To quote myself:

Will you be on here Friday then? please?

-- hide signature --

I will try.

I hope to get the NX300 on Wednesday but not sure about it as I am out doing a shooting for a friend for their dance company and I would love to try the PDAF (as I currently plan to take the V1 with me in addition to the stills I want to shoot with the NX1000 and the 45mm)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads