Red River Metallic Paper is Amazing

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions
John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080
Like?
Red River Metallic Paper is Amazing
Mar 25, 2013

Just ran a series of shots from my Nikon D600 and my Lumix FZ200 off onto some Red River Metallic paper and I am blown away. So crisp. So sharp. So 3D...you feel you could almost fall into the pictures. And in black and white it is phenomenal.

My work was printed on a Cannon pro9000. I have never had prints come out as clear and as deep in detail. I did have to lighten everything by about one f stop in PP (Both Photoshop and Aperture) to match on paper what I was seeing on screen, that is because the metallic papers really like to soak up (or suck up) the ink.  But the end product is worth the fuss.  My 8x10's and 11x14's look like film.

I am using the 66lb Polar Pearl Metallic. Quite impressive.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
“Let there be light.” It all began right there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordsandsuch/show/
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wcrosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?
Re: Red River Metallic Paper is Amazing
In reply to John Crawley, Mar 25, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?

John, are you using dye ink or pigment ink?  I was wondering if pigment ink that does not seep into the paper gives you the 3D effect also.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,217
Like?
In reply to kenwj, Mar 25, 2013

kenwj wrote:

John, are you using dye ink or pigment ink? I was wondering if pigment ink that does not seep into the paper gives you the 3D effect also.

He stated he printed on a Canon Pro 9000 so it is dye.

I have a couple of sheets of RR metallic as well as Inkpress Metallic and will have to test them out.

Wonder how the Pro 9500 MKII or K3 ink based Epson Printers would do with it's pigment inks?

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,551
Like?
So-so with pigment
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 25, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

kenwj wrote:

John, are you using dye ink or pigment ink? I was wondering if pigment ink that does not seep into the paper gives you the 3D effect also.

I have a couple of sheets of RR metallic as well as Inkpress Metallic and will have to test them out.

Wonder how the Pro 9500 MKII or K3 ink based Epson Printers would do with it's pigment inks?

You need the translucent dye to work the metallic magic.

Bob P.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,217
Like?
Re: So-so with pigment
In reply to Petruska, Mar 25, 2013

Petruska wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

kenwj wrote:

Wonder how the Pro 9500 MKII or K3 ink based Epson Printers would do with it's pigment inks?

Bob P.

That's what I figured though RR says that it is compatible with K3 Ultrachrome as well.

So it's either CONE Dye K3, or Epson 1400 or Canon 9000 MKII.

Joe

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,551
Like?
It's K3 compatible...
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 25, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Petruska wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

kenwj wrote:

Bob P.

That's what I figured though RR says that it is compatible with K3 Ultrachrome as well.

So it's either CONE Dye K3, or Epson 1400 or Canon 9000 MKII.

Joe

but with a dye/pigment eval print side by side, you will pick the dye.

Bob P.

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048
Like?
Re: It's K3 compatible...
In reply to Petruska, Mar 25, 2013

This thread has prompted me to get a sample of Breathing Color Vibrance Metallic and it is supposed to work in an OEM ink 3880.

http://breathingcoloruk.com/bc/catalog/product_info.php/vibrance-metallic-p-84

I'll let you know how it performs. Should arrive tomorrow.

Red River is not available in the UK - and if the Breathing Color works it makes importing the RR a non starter.

Tony

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
On sale

Red River has a 20% off sale, good until the 27th or so.

I've never tried their metallic paper. But got the sale notice from them because I'm a customer.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080
Like?
Re: On sale
In reply to Tom-C, Mar 26, 2013

Red River rep was in the camera store the other day and suggested that dye inks work better with their metallic than pigments right now. They are working on one that will work well with pigments. Should be out soon. some other brands may already have them, I just do not know about them.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,273
Like?
In reply to TonyGamble, Mar 26, 2013

TonyGamble wrote:

This thread has prompted me to get a sample of Breathing Color Vibrance Metallic and it is supposed to work in an OEM ink 3880.

Works with, is different to works well with. Sure you can print on it with no problems, but it isn't 'spectacular' with pigment ink. It most often comes across as yet another odd ultra high gloss paper.

I have a sample of an early Mitsubishi metallic paper (no longer available) that was much more pearlescent than the two main varients available now. It wasn't a paper for general use like the newer ones, but when it worked, it really worked with pigments.

Brian A

chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 26, 2013

I use MOAB Slickrock metalic paper with custom profiles for my Epson R2000. Could not be any happier.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +2 more
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,273
Like?
In reply to chooflaki, Mar 26, 2013

chooflaki wrote:

I use MOAB Slickrock metalic paper with custom profiles for my Epson R2000. Could not be any happier.

Given their characteristics, they are probably both a rebranding of the same paper.

Brian A

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 26, 2013

Brian,

"with pigment ink. It most often comes across as yet another odd ultra high gloss paper."

Agreed from this afternoon's tests.

Looks no different to the Breathing Color Vibrance Gloss at jolly nearly half the price.

What I found odd is that their three Vibrance papers (Metallic, Gloss, Lustre) are all far from white. Seemed odd to me to make a paper like Metallic and not give it a white base. I can add warmth in printing but can't remove it.

Tony

soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

http://breathingcoloruk.com/bc/catalog/product_info.php/vibrance-metallic-p-84

I'll let you know how it performs. Should arrive tomorrow.

Red River is not available in the UK - and if the Breathing Color works it makes importing the RR a non starter.

Tony

I have BC Vibrance Metallic on order and have tried the RR , InkPress, and Proline metallics. So far I've downloaded and installed the 3880 profile (from BC) and just did a quick comparison in LR between the BC profile and the RR Polar Pearl Metallic 3880 profile. I could see no difference in the soft-proof, at least. I then called BC and spoke to a tech who told me that the two papers are very similar. He claimed - of course - that I will like the BC Vibrance Metallic better. Once the stuff comes in, I'll do a side-by-side and post my impressions.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
soloryb
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

Brian,

"with pigment ink. It most often comes across as yet another odd ultra high gloss paper."

Agreed from this afternoon's tests.

Looks no different to the Breathing Color Vibrance Gloss at jolly nearly half the price.

What I found odd is that their three Vibrance papers (Metallic, Gloss, Lustre) are all far from white. Seemed odd to me to make a paper like Metallic and not give it a white base. I can add warmth in printing but can't remove it.

Tony

Proline's Luster Chrome (metallic) is warm in comparison to RR Polar Pearl Metallic - on the 3880. After talking with BC, it may be that the lower the amount of OBA the paper substrate contains, the warmer the whites appear.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
soloryb
Like?
In reply to John Crawley, Mar 26, 2013

John Crawley wrote:

Red River rep was in the camera store the other day and suggested that dye inks work better with their metallic than pigments right now. They are working on one that will work well with pigments. Should be out soon. some other brands may already have them, I just do not know about them.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley

Thanks for that info re RR Metallic.

I was going to order a 100' roll of it after getting some fantastic results with several large test prints from a 3880. Your post prompted me to call RR tech and ask. They told me their metallic paper prints worked well on both pigment and dye printers and wouldn't say which produced the best results. They also denied that they are working on an improved variety designed specifically for pigment inks. At this point, I'm going to wait and see a little longer before committing to a roll of the stuff, since the RR rep that you spoke of may have it right.

Tom-C
Like?
In reply to soloryb, Mar 27, 2013

soloryb wrote:

I was going to order a 100' roll of it after getting some fantastic results with several large test prints from a 3880.

Red River doesn't sell rolls of the metallic paper. Just sheets.

Tom

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
soloryb
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Mar 27, 2013

RR does sell rolls of metallic paper. They're just temporarily out of it.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/66lb-polar-pearl-metallic-inkjet-photo-paper-rolls.html

Tom-C wrote:

soloryb wrote:

I was going to order a 100' roll of it after getting some fantastic results with several large test prints from a 3880.

Tom

Tom-C
Like?
In reply to soloryb, Mar 27, 2013

Thanks. Due to Red River's strange web site I had missed it.

Looking under Metallic paper at 66lb or 80lb shows no roll paper.

Looking under roll paper I had missed the metallic listing.

At one time the only way to find roll paper was to go to the roll paper option rather than look under the individual paper type, such as Polar Matte. They eventually fixed that but apparently the metallic paper didn't get the fix.

Tom

soloryb wrote:

RR does sell rolls of metallic paper. They're just temporarily out of it.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/66lb-polar-pearl-metallic-inkjet-photo-paper-rolls.html

Tom-C wrote:

soloryb wrote:

Tom

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads