Finally...Tamron beats Nikon

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
Mar 24, 2013

I've shot and shot, especially at 300mm.

There is no doubt that this Tamron 70-300 VC is better than my old copies of the Nikon 70-300. Not that it bests my 70-200 VRII or 85mm....but zowee, it's some lens!

Wide open at 300mm the Tamron is tack sharp. Bokeh is quite reasonable and the lens AF is quick enough. Be sure to VIEW ORIGINAL to see the better quality view.

Thanks for looking!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
In reply to Shotcents, Mar 24, 2013

That was my experience too - sold my Nikon copy...

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4s +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?

That's funny. As soon as I read the subject line I thought that's gotta be..............Yep it is.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon Nice photos...this should be fun...

And they're off... 

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to bobcat3610, Mar 25, 2013

bobcat3610 wrote:

That's funny. As soon as I read the subject line I thought that's gotta be..............Yep it is.

Hey...but check the thread where I'm absolutely loving the Nikon 85mm...it's about the lenses, not the brands.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Mar 25, 2013

I agree. I'm really looking forward to the Tamron 70 200 vc. I've read a lot of good things about it from Canon users.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,000Gear list
Like?
Bokeh?

Shotcents wrote:

Wide open at 300mm the Tamron is tack sharp. Bokeh is quite reasonable and the lens AF is quick enough. Be sure to VIEW ORIGINAL to see the better quality view.

I've been able to get tolerable results out of the Tamron

Fuzzy stuff in Yosemite

But I wouldn't characterize the bokeh as reasonable; I see it as what you get out of a typical crummy cheap zoom.

100% crop of fuzzy stuff; OOF vegetation in background

I got tired of fighting the image quality at 300 and got a 300 f/4 Nikkor. The Nikkor prime is way better.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Bob GB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604Gear list
Like?
Yes, it's the joke
In reply to bobcat3610, Mar 25, 2013

bobcat3610 wrote:

I just wonder if he is paid by Tamron for the marketing work.

Shotcents
Like?
Re: Yes, it's the joke
In reply to Bob GB, Mar 25, 2013

Bob GB wrote:

bobcat3610 wrote:

I just wonder if he is paid by Tamron for the marketing work.

No, Bob.

I usually prefer Nikon glass to the other brands. But once in a while a 3rd party lens is a winner, either for the price or just for the class.

I don't think Tamron will be sending me checks when I basically only like a FEW of their lenses!

Robert

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
How many times are you going to start this exact same thread?

Just curious...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
Re: How many times are you going to start this exact same thread?
In reply to paulski66, Mar 25, 2013

yet I am still happy with my Nikon, if I ever want to improve IQ ,it will be a 300mm prime.

Shotcents
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

Just curious...

How many times will you enter a thread that is of no interest to you and troll it?

Just curious.

(There are a LOT of threads going on right now that I don't like, have no interest in or I don't own the associated gear...so I stay out of them. Why can't you?)

Robert

paulski66
Like?

I'm not trolling it. I asked a legitimate question.

You've started this exact same thread 3 or 4 times now, even down to the mediocre portraits to support your point of view and lack of evidence to back up your claims. Why?

Seriously, what gives? Not getting enough attention at home?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Shotcents
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

You've started this exact same thread 3 or 4 times now, even down to the mediocre portraits to support your point of view and lack of evidence to back up your claims. Why?

Seriously, what gives? Not getting enough attention at home?

Your comments above are not trolling? The comment about "mediocre portraits" and "attention at home" don't qualify as trolling, flame-bait and so on?

Paul, again: Find someone else to stalk and play netkop with. Or make a relevant point or post some shots or ANYTHING that might be of interest to someone.

Robert

pdxflint
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

I think it was less a question than a comment. I didn't read it as if you were actually "just curious," and I am not familiar with either of you. If it bothers you that someone posted the same thread several times, why read it at all, only to throw out some flame bait to start a fight, all while not offering anything at all useful to those of us who may not have seen the other threads? I don't usually comment on these little personal bickerings, but figured it couldn't hurt to say how it appears from a neutral corner. It would really be much more pleasant if both of you took your personal stuff to PMs as long as you're not discussing the topic. Cheers!

pdxflint's gear list:pdxflint's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
paulski66
Like?
In reply to pdxflint, Mar 25, 2013

pdxflint wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

I think it was less a question than a comment.

No, it was a serious question. The OP has started the exact same thread numerous times now. Each time, he uses the same three pictures to "support" his "argument" (but no, say, comparisons to shots made with the Nikkor, or real analysis of the strengths/weaknesses of the two lenses, etc...).

I am honestly curious why this behavior. But, whatever...

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to pdxflint, Mar 25, 2013

pdxflint wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

I think it was less a question than a comment. I didn't read it as if you were actually "just curious," and I am not familiar with either of you. If it bothers you that someone posted the same thread several times, why read it at all, only to throw out some flame bait to start a fight, all while not offering anything at all useful to those of us who may not have seen the other threads? I don't usually comment on these little personal bickerings, but figured it couldn't hurt to say how it appears from a neutral corner. It would really be much more pleasant if both of you took your personal stuff to PMs as long as you're not discussing the topic. Cheers!

I started the thread because I thought the 3 shots I posted were of interest. As Paul points out I had posted about it before. I had also posted about the 85mm 1.8 before but I see no reason why it's out-of-order to post about it...

I prefer it to the 1.4G...my posted sample from my newest copy of the 1.8G....

Yes, to Paul this is a mediocre portrait and he's welcome to level such remarks freely.

What he's not allowed to do is troll, flame bait and stalk me. I've reported him of course, but his main goal was to disrupt the thread and he's done that. Somehow most of us can refrain from joining threads we have no interest in, but not Paul.

Robert

Shotcents
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

pdxflint wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

No, it was a serious question. The OP has started the exact same thread numerous times now. Each time, he uses the same three pictures to "support" his "argument" (but no, say, comparisons to shots made with the Nikkor, or real analysis of the strengths/weaknesses of the two lenses, etc...).

And BTW....the above is a lie. I actually posted comparisons with the 70-200 VRII. Later I will post shots comparing it to the 300mm. No doubt Paul will again crash THAT thread.

Here are the shots showing the comparison with the 70-200VRII...

Cheers,

Robert

pdxflint
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

pdxflint wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

C'mon... you're not really curious about that. You're making a statement. And, btw, you did get me curious, so I checked all the threads the guy started and somehow it just didn't jump out at me (all these repeated, "exact same threads.") This whole thing has a very personal feel to it... I don't think we need hall monitors here. Just an opinion, fwiw. I like to think I'm fair and reasonable, but it felt to me like the thread got hijacked with this "curiosity" of yours, and that you were more interested in de-legitimizing the whole thread by attacking the guy who created it, rather than offering anything of use to the rest of us. Just calling it like I see it.

pdxflint's gear list:pdxflint's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,610Gear list
Like?

I own the Tamron, as you know, and am more than pleased with it.  I often keep it on my camera for drive arounds.  But, I do think that the competitive nature of your threads invites negative participation.  There is a difference between enjoying a lens and getting every ounce of image quality out of it and stating that it has won some undeclared contest.  Photography is, in the end, an artistic pursuit in which we all gain from each other's experiences.  The Impressionists were a gang of very different folk who fed off each other to create some of the greatest art work in history.  So, I see no reason to be so competitive and dislike it when it comes from Nikon shooters, too.  There is no 'best', only what works best for you.  Being open to the opinions of others makes one less rigid, more capable of growth in a way that helps us all win.

Two Cents McGee

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads