Finally...Tamron beats Nikon

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,433Gear list
Like?
Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
Mar 24, 2013

I've shot and shot, especially at 300mm.

There is no doubt that this Tamron 70-300 VC is better than my old copies of the Nikon 70-300. Not that it bests my 70-200 VRII or 85mm....but zowee, it's some lens!

Wide open at 300mm the Tamron is tack sharp. Bokeh is quite reasonable and the lens AF is quick enough. Be sure to VIEW ORIGINAL to see the better quality view.

Thanks for looking!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
In reply to Shotcents, Mar 24, 2013

That was my experience too - sold my Nikon copy...

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?

That's funny. As soon as I read the subject line I thought that's gotta be..............Yep it is.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon Nice photos...this should be fun...

And they're off... 

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to bobcat3610, Mar 25, 2013

bobcat3610 wrote:

That's funny. As soon as I read the subject line I thought that's gotta be..............Yep it is.

Hey...but check the thread where I'm absolutely loving the Nikon 85mm...it's about the lenses, not the brands.

Robert

bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Mar 25, 2013

I agree. I'm really looking forward to the Tamron 70 200 vc. I've read a lot of good things about it from Canon users.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 11,608Gear list
Like?
Bokeh?

Shotcents wrote:

Wide open at 300mm the Tamron is tack sharp. Bokeh is quite reasonable and the lens AF is quick enough. Be sure to VIEW ORIGINAL to see the better quality view.

I've been able to get tolerable results out of the Tamron

Fuzzy stuff in Yosemite

But I wouldn't characterize the bokeh as reasonable; I see it as what you get out of a typical crummy cheap zoom.

100% crop of fuzzy stuff; OOF vegetation in background

I got tired of fighting the image quality at 300 and got a 300 f/4 Nikkor. The Nikkor prime is way better.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
Bob GB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,643Gear list
Like?
Yes, it's the joke
In reply to bobcat3610, Mar 25, 2013

bobcat3610 wrote:

I just wonder if he is paid by Tamron for the marketing work.

Shotcents
Like?
Re: Yes, it's the joke
In reply to Bob GB, Mar 25, 2013

Bob GB wrote:

bobcat3610 wrote:

I just wonder if he is paid by Tamron for the marketing work.

No, Bob.

I usually prefer Nikon glass to the other brands. But once in a while a 3rd party lens is a winner, either for the price or just for the class.

I don't think Tamron will be sending me checks when I basically only like a FEW of their lenses!

Robert

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 6,432Gear list
Like?

I own the Tamron, as you know, and am more than pleased with it.  I often keep it on my camera for drive arounds.  But, I do think that the competitive nature of your threads invites negative participation.  There is a difference between enjoying a lens and getting every ounce of image quality out of it and stating that it has won some undeclared contest.  Photography is, in the end, an artistic pursuit in which we all gain from each other's experiences.  The Impressionists were a gang of very different folk who fed off each other to create some of the greatest art work in history.  So, I see no reason to be so competitive and dislike it when it comes from Nikon shooters, too.  There is no 'best', only what works best for you.  Being open to the opinions of others makes one less rigid, more capable of growth in a way that helps us all win.

Two Cents McGee

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Mar 25, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

I own the Tamron, as you know, and am more than pleased with it. I often keep it on my camera for drive arounds. But, I do think that the competitive nature of your threads invites negative participation. There is a difference between enjoying a lens and getting every ounce of image quality out of it and stating that it has won some undeclared contest. Photography is, in the end, an artistic pursuit in which we all gain from each other's experiences. The Impressionists were a gang of very different folk who fed off each other to create some of the greatest art work in history. So, I see no reason to be so competitive and dislike it when it comes from Nikon shooters, too. There is no 'best', only what works best for you. Being open to the opinions of others makes one less rigid, more capable of growth in a way that helps us all win.

Two Cents McGee

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Easy there, two cents!

Of course you're right. And if/when we're not using gear to make money I want to have FUN with it. Sometimes that means not hauling around my best glass. I own/have owned some really great lenses, but lately I'm smitten with my little Nikon 24-85vr and the Tamron 70-300vc. That doesn't mean they're "better" than my primes or a pro zoom like the VRII. It just means that I'm impressed with the good quality irrespective of price.

And for someone like me, who likes to chant, "There's no substitute for fast glass." that's saying something.

BTW, Brev..not sure if you saw the distance sharpness test with the Tamron:

This was shot wide open in somewhat lousy light. The last crop shows the lock on the hatch of the boat (about 12 pixels across!). So much for DXO resolution tests.

I'll post comparison to the 300mm F4 shortly. But I'll tell you this, the F4 needs a fast shutter or a tripod to by typically as sharp as the Tamron. The F4 potential sharpness is a bit higher and much better outside of the center of the frame of course.

Robert

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 6,432Gear list
Like?

Hey, hey, hey, Shotcents, whoa there!

You are preaching to the converted. I have shot thousands of images with the lens so I don't need tests to prove anything. I do not have the benefit of owning pro gear so can't compare. I was going to rent the 2.8 vr II, but my daughter did not skate on the first line this year. I will have to invent another opportunity.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Mar 26, 2013

Thought it was a professional test.

Nope, just one more punter with an opinion.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to JakeB, Mar 26, 2013

JakeB wrote:

Actually, an opinion would be my position if I had no samples to substantiate my view.

Professional reviews are fun and a good way to START a search for new gear, but actually using a lens or camera or lens is the only way to know if it will meet your needs and criteria.

Cheers,

Robert

PhD4
Senior MemberPosts: 3,616
Like?
In reply to bobcat3610, Mar 26, 2013

bobcat3610 wrote:

Yeah, but what's with the "finally"?  I thought this was old news.

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to PhD4, Mar 26, 2013

The idea of these threads is ironic anyway. Looking at the externals and lens formulas, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nikon VR was designed and built by Tamron in the first place. There was every suggestion the original 70-300 f4-5.6 ED D was.

JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

JakeB wrote:

Actually, an opinion would be my position if I had no samples to substantiate my view.

Professional reviews are fun and a good way to START a search for new gear, but actually using a lens or camera or lens is the only way to know if it will meet your needs and criteria.

Cheers,

Robert

What DOESN'T tell you anything is some punter posting a couple of close-up photos, then reposting those same photos every time someone challenges his claims.

"Finally... Tamron beats Nikon" and a couple of pics.

Thanks for the thorough testing at a full range of apertures, focal lengths, and subject distances; really helpful.

Please include your name in future thread titles so I'll know to ignore.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to JakeB, Mar 26, 2013

JakeB wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

JakeB wrote:

Cheers,

Robert

What DOESN'T tell you anything is some punter posting a couple of close-up photos, then reposting those same photos every time someone challenges his claims.

Thanks for the thorough testing at a full range of apertures, focal lengths, and subject distances; really helpful.

You seem like a angry guy!

I posted photos at various focal lengths, at close ranges and then far. You can find those shots easily. I generally shot wide open. I'm not sure if people want to see the lens stopped down.

There's nothing different from my samples from the many posted by others, except I tend to shoot people more than charts and box labels, but if you want to see such comparisons...

I just don't think shots like this, which I did initially when performing a AF tune for the Tamron, is the best way to judge a lens. I'd much rather see a good sharp headshot to see how a lens renders.

Robert

shawn in ak
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

The very fact that people are having this argument means Tamron is doing something right.

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Ecniv
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

JakeB wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

JakeB wrote:

Cheers,

Robert

You seem like a angry guy!

I posted photos at various focal lengths, at close ranges and then far. You can find those shots easily. I generally shot wide open. I'm not sure if people want to see the lens stopped down.

There's nothing different from my samples from the many posted by others, except I tend to shoot people more than charts and box labels, but if you want to see such comparisons...

I just don't think shots like this, which I did initially when performing a AF tune for the Tamron, is the best way to judge a lens. I'd much rather see a good sharp headshot to see how a lens renders.

Robert

You are an absolute joke! On one hand you tell people not pay attention to review sites because you have to test a lens yourself to see if it meets your needs. Yet you don't heed your own advice, but give your review as if you are now the reviewer everybody should listen to. You can take your samples and shove them up your ars because just as you say, they don't have any more merit then the reviews sites you ostracize.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads