What makes more sense?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Questions
Simurgh
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
What makes more sense?
Mar 24, 2013

I apologist for opening two threads in the short time, but as I am planing to do some shopping this week I need the answers

I decided to buy NEX6 with standard 16-50mm Zoom Lens. I want to buy one additional lens kit to have a nice start.

I was looking for two options :

1. Sony 50mm F1.8 E-Mount Lens

2. Sony High Zoom 55-210mm

They are both about the same £200-250. I would use camera mostly for the photos I take traveling around - building, places, etc and some for family shoots.

What do you think which one makes more sense and is a better option?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
Re: What makes more sense?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 24, 2013

If  it was me I would go for the f1.8 prime, as it's a nice contrast to your zoom lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 24, 2013

I personally prefer primes, but since you're asking the question I wonder if you'd do better with the second zoom.  Once you decide what focal lengths you prefer you can go for an appropriate prime.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

c96eddie
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 25, 2013

Hi Simurgh,

Personally, I do not think either option makes much sense to you, although ESL50 1.8 sounds a touch better. If  were you, I would go for the 16mm pancake+the UWA adapter for travelling and some fast MF lens for the portraits (50-58mm 1.4) with an adapter...

Rgds,

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
In reply to c96eddie, Mar 26, 2013

You asked: "What makes more sense?"

What makes the most sense is

to choose a title that is subject specific,

because I would not have looked if it were clear from the get-go what this was about. Try next time, please.

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 26, 2013

You are trying to decide between two totally different lenses. You already have a 50 mm capability with your current zoom which is capable of getting good close-ups & portraits but which may be slightly limited when shooting in low light. Some will stress the importance of shallow DOF which F 1.8 allows but this lens is also slightly soft with CA wide open so it is not all win-win.

If you travel & shoot buildings as well as landscapes then, IMHO,  the longer zoom may well prove to be more versatile but don't be biased in your choice merely because the two lenses are in a similar price range  

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Simurgh
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 26, 2013

I agree. I tried to change it but it was late.

Will do better next time.

Anyhow, you have any input onto subject?

uhligfd wrote:

You asked: "What makes more sense?"

What makes the most sense is

to choose a title that is subject specific,

because I would not have looked if it were clear from the get-go what this was about. Try next time, please.

Simurgh
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Mar 26, 2013

Hi Keith, thanks for the input.

I am aware of the fact these two are completely different lenses.

I was thinking what might be better a start up combination. I am tempted by the zoom lens but it seems the people use prime more often.

Keit ll wrote:

You are trying to decide between two totally different lenses. You already have a 50 mm capability with your current zoom which is capable of getting good close-ups & portraits but which may be slightly limited when shooting in low light. Some will stress the importance of shallow DOF which F 1.8 allows but this lens is also slightly soft with CA wide open so it is not all win-win.

If you travel & shoot buildings as well as landscapes then, IMHO, the longer zoom may well prove to be more versatile but don't be biased in your choice merely because the two lenses are in a similar price range

-- hide signature --

Keith C

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simurgh, Mar 27, 2013

Simurgh wrote:

Hi Keith, thanks for the input.

I am aware of the fact these two are completely different lenses.

I was thinking what might be better a start up combination. I am tempted by the zoom lens but it seems the people use prime more often.

It depends if you need a long zoom lens. I'm guessing the NEX-6 isn't your first camera?! When you shot with your previous camera, did you use the zoom capability on a regular basis. Do you find the range of the kit lens limiting; do you often find yourself wanting to zoom in further than is possible with the 16-50mm lens?

The 50mm 1.8 prime would be a good choice if you do lots of portraits in low light situations - it would be much better at this type of shooting than the kit lens, partly due to superior image quality but mostly because it is a much faster lens (much larger aperture) thereby allowing more hand held shots in limited light conditions without having to use the flash.

Which lens would suit your style of shooting?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?

Since you are not sure what you want buy the camera with the 16-50 and use it for a while.  You will have a nice camera with a very compact zoom.  After using it for a while you should be able to answer this question much more accurately.

If you find yourself taking a lot of pictures indoors and are getting noisy shots because your camera has to bump up the ISO due to low light get the 50.  If you want shallower DOF to blur the background more once again the 50 is your best option.

If you are having to crop because the subject was too far away get the 55-210.

You may even find a third option is what you really want.  If you are taking pictures of more than 1 person indoors the 35mm f1.8 may work better.  Using the 16-50 set to 50 will let you know how much you like that focal length.

If you cannot wait I would go with the 50.

capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Mar 27, 2013

I agree with Keit you have 50 mm Capabilities with your Kit lens , I find the 85-135 range very useful

so the Zoom would be a good choice , Obviously the 50 mm Prime is going to give better results at

50 mm but it's nice to cover your bases as well at different ranges , Good thing about either secondary

lens you choose they both have a good resale for a gently used boxed example , Good dilemma to have though whatever choice you make you are not stuck with something you are not totally happy with.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +27 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,117
Like?

Well you say you use the camerta for traveling, shooting buildings etc. The main questions are:

1. Do you like to crop things out in a building (like a clock or a statue? YES: then go for the longer zoom
  2. Do you like to do wildlife? YES: then go for the longer zoom
  3. If you like to do wide shots (the total building, the street etc.)? YES: Go for a WA lens (like the 10-18 F4 zoom)
  4. Do you like to do low light pictures? Yes: A large apperture lens like the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm 1.8) is the best choice
  5. Do you like to do portraits? YES then the 50mm is the best choice
  6. Do you like to do all of this? YES: Your Sonys best freind!

Nobaody can tell you what is best for you. You have to answer that question by your self. To sum up the pro's and cons of the prime and the zoom:

Pros Prime:
Better IQ,
Faster (good for low light situations)
More control over depth of field
Small

Cons prime:
limmited fixed focal lenght
Have to switch lenses when you want to use an other FL. (or use some kind of adapter)
Change in FL is step by step
Price is high in the end as you want more FLs, so more lenses

Pros Zoom:
Flexible in use, change of FL is without steps
one or two lenses fits all you need, so cheaper in the end.

Cons Zoom:
It is a large lens on a small camera
It is not realy fast (so not as good in low light)
Indoor it is almost useless (the 55-210mm that is)
Less control over depth of field
Zoomlenss can suck in dust and place it on your sensor while zooming.

Have fun choosing the right lens for you...

KingCharles
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?

I was looking for two options :

1. Sony 50mm F1.8 E-Mount Lens

2. Sony High Zoom 55-210mm

What do you think which one makes more sense and is a better option?

I have both of these lenses so I will tell you how my experience has been.

50mm 1.8 - VERY sharp lens, great for low light/shallow depth work. If you want to do portraits or the 50mm length is good for you to use for your subjects in low light then this lens is a must have. The quality for the money is awesome.

55-210 - This lens is my go-to lens for walking around outside. I try to get a walk in once or twice a week on the trails around my house, and as long as I have decent light this lens pretty much stays on my camera the entire time. I will usually only take it off I am going to be doing wide angle landscape shots.

If you shoot indoor family shots where you are at least 3 feet from your subject, portraits, or often in low light and you can get away with shallow DOF I would go with the 50mm 1.8. It is a great outdoor lens too if you are fine with staying around 50mm. Then again outdoor 50mm shots can be handled by your 16-50, although it probably won't be quite as sharp.

If you are going to be walking around and taking pictures of flora and fauna, and don't want to get to close to them I would get the 55-210.

Overall I would say I have used the 55-210 more than the 50mm, but that is just because my walks produce more subjects for me to shoot than doing stuff around the house

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Charles

edit* for typo

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
In reply to KingCharles, Mar 27, 2013

Being asked to reply, here I go:

I only buy another lens if and when I am limited by the ones I have for what i want to photograph.

As a beginner and young one i wanted everything but used very little of what I had.

A bit more mature (?) after 55+ years of photography, I tend to like shorter, wider angle lenses more than the long tele ones that I lusted for at first, 40 years ago.

Much more of the world is right in front of me and the distant views of a castle or mountain or ... are just so trite to depict. Postcards usually get their images on other days than I can when I am there on a rotten light, overcast day ...

Please feel free to make your own mistakes, though. I did, so will you.

And a bit besides  the point: a 50mm and a 50 - 200 zoom are totally different beasts. As if you had  asked us what to buy: a Vespa or a bike; for what very different purposes?

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,788
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Mar 27, 2013

Dave Lively wrote:

Since you are not sure what you want buy the camera with the 16-50 and use it for a while.  You will have a nice camera with a very compact zoom.  After using it for a while you should be able to answer this question much more accurately.

+1  Use the 16-50 for a while and that will tell you what you need next.  You are really asking the question low light versus extended reach.  IQ of course plays a part here, but in the real world not as much as reading DPreview blogs will suggest.

After using it for a while you may find you want to go in other directions for another lens.  For example maybe a fast legacy 50, which would give you low light capacity at a much lower price.  Or a macro lens.  It's hard to know right now; just don't do what I and many others here have done, get GAS (gear acquisition syndrone), or in this case LAS, and think a new lens will open up new horizons.  I went through several cameras and lenses before I realized what I was doing.  And I might add I tried my wife's patience almost to the breaking point.

The most important thing in being a photographer IMO is to get to know your equipment well, find out what you can do with what you have, find your preferred shooting style, and eventually your question will answer itself.

Michael

PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 548Gear list
Like?

I have the SAL 16-50 on my a77.  Going from the 16-105 I thought the range would be too narrow but it works ok.

I've bought, sold, bought some more quite a bit due to budget constraints but along the way I've got a good feel of what I like to shoot and which lens work for my needs and budget.

As suggested previously, use the 16-50 and see how the range and speed of the lens meets your needs.  If you lean toward range then you could extend that with the 55-210 or one of the 18-200's.  I have the Tamron 18-200 on my 5N and I like it's versatility.  I also like the IQ and bokeh of the SEL 50 and while a tad long it is the fastest E-mount lens I have.  At present I have those 2 with the Sigma 30.  I'd prefer the SEL 35 but I don't do that much indoors so the Sig 30/Sony 50 provides more functionality at about the same price for what I like to shoot.  I do like UWA and have my eye on the SEL 10-18 to round out my NEX kit.  I sold off the 16 with WAC and FEC to help fund the 10-18 but still a bit shy of it's hefty price tag.

It really comes down to what you like to do and how much you have to spend!  Be patient and see how well the 16-50 works for you and go from there.

-- hide signature --

"If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time." - Robert Doisneau

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads