When will new PS CS "7" and Lightroom "5" be released??

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442Gear list
Like?
When will new PS CS "7" and Lightroom "5" be released??
Mar 24, 2013

Not Beta versions, but full versions. The approximate release dates.

Thanks. Not a lot of replies needed.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,304
Like?
Re: When will new PS CS "7" and Lightroom "5" be released??
In reply to KENTGA, Mar 24, 2013

Those who know cant tell.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KENTGA
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Mar 24, 2013

Maybe I should have asked when CS 6 and LR 4 were released. I think Adobe usually upgrades about every 18 months.

Kent

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Archer66
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, Mar 24, 2013

Lightroom 4 March 6, 2012

CS6 May 7, 2012

KENTGA
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Mar 24, 2013

Thanks, Archer. Nothing else needed.

Kent

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, Mar 25, 2013

Just a little extra info to give you a better idea of when Adobe might be releasing the newest versions:

Lightroom:

• V.1 to V.2: 17 months
  • V.2 to V.3: 22-23 months
  • V.3 to V.4: 21 months
  • Average: ~20 months

Photoshop:

• CS1 to CS2: 19 months
  • CS2 to CS3: 23 months
  • CS3 to CS4: 18 months
  • CS4 to CS5: 18 months
  • CS5 to CS6: 25 months
  • Average: ~21 months

Given that Lightroom 4 was released in March of 2012:

• At the earliest, we might see Lightroom 5 release in August 2013.
  • At the latest, we might see Lightroom 5 release in February 2014.
  • Based on the average, we might see Lightroom 5 release in November 2013.
  • Note of interest: All Lightroom releases so far have occurred in the February/March or June/July timeframe.  There has never been a fall launch of Lightroom yet.

Given that Photoshop CS6 was released in May of 2012:

• At the earliest, we might see Photoshop CS7 release in November 2013.
  • At the latest, we might see Photoshop CS7 release in June 2014.
  • Based on the average, we might see Photoshop CS7 release in February 2014.
  • Note of interest: All Photoshop CS releases so far have occurred in either April/May timeframe or October timeframe.

Each version of Lightroom has been released, on average, within 2-3 months of a Photoshop CS release.  Looking at my data, it goes back and forth of Lightroom releasing before or after Photoshop CS (V.1 after, V.2, before, V.3 after, V.4 before).

So putting that all together, expect that if one releases the other will come out within 2-3 months.  But neither would go much past 24 months since the prior version has been released.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, Mar 25, 2013

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

As far as I understand Lightroom 4.4 is coming out on 31 May 2013.  So I think it will be a while before we see Lightroom v5

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Archer66
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Mar 25, 2013

VirtualMirage wrote:

So putting that all together, expect that if one releases the other will come out within 2-3 months. But neither would go much past 24 months since the prior version has been released.

Adobe has confirmed that Creative suite will have annual release cycle so 6.5 might come mid 2013.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-creative-suite-release-schedule-cs6.html

Archer66
Like?
In reply to rio911, Mar 25, 2013

rio911 wrote:
As far as I understand Lightroom 4.4 is coming out on 31 May 2013. So I think it will be a while before we see Lightroom v5

LR 4.4 RC will expire on 31 May 2013, that does not mean it won't be released before.

Seems that RC phase lasts usually for 1 month so I'm guessing 4.4 will be released at the end of March.

VirtualMirage
Like?
In reply to rio911, Mar 25, 2013

rio911 wrote:

As far as I understand Lightroom 4.4 is coming out on 31 May 2013. So I think it will be a while before we see Lightroom v5

rio

4.4 is what I consider a patch, an incremental update, not a full version change.  4.4 is a version anybody that currently owns LR4 can get at no charge and the application will prompt for them to update to once it reaches past RC status.

I don't count incrementals in my numbers.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
VirtualMirage
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Mar 25, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

So putting that all together, expect that if one releases the other will come out within 2-3 months. But neither would go much past 24 months since the prior version has been released.

Adobe has confirmed that Creative suite will have annual release cycle so 6.5 might come mid 2013.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-creative-suite-release-schedule-cs6.html

As I mentioned to someone else, I don't count incrementals.  6.5 is mainly an incremental update that caters more towards their cloud subscribers.  If I counted incrementals, then CS5.5 would have been included as well (which mainly introduced the subscription method to Adobe users).  Existing CS5 users received the same updates that 5.5 offered in a form of a patch.

Think of 6.5 as a mild refresh between full makeovers.  If they go that route on a yearly basis, then full version changes may be pushing closer to the 24 month mark.

-- hide signature --

Paul

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Mar 25, 2013

I believe that Adobe has indicated an intent to do the minor release in 12 months and a major in 24.  However, I do not believe they intend that to be an absolute, so it can vary around that.

They have been continuously trying to get customer acceptance of more restrictive upgrade policies - if they succeed, then you may better off not waiting to try to time it.

robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 25, 2013

Quite so, the new release schedule was in the link archer66 provided.

Added to the more restrictive upgrade policy, is the 'gentle' pressure to move the software to the cloud. The carrot there is that Adobe suggests that dot releases for cloud subscribers may be more than just maintenance releases. As it was, the 5.5 release for the suite [not for Photoshop] already had new stuff.

For Lightroom things may be more in the traditional way, but as Adobe has so far said they want to keep its Develope module and ACR more or less identical, LR may also be on a 2 year cycle now.

VirtualMirage
Like?
In reply to robert1955, Mar 25, 2013

robert1955 wrote:

Quite so, the new release schedule was in the link archer66 provided.

Added to the more restrictive upgrade policy, is the 'gentle' pressure to move the software to the cloud. The carrot there is that Adobe suggests that dot releases for cloud subscribers may be more than just maintenance releases. As it was, the 5.5 release for the suite [not for Photoshop] already had new stuff.

So to summarize, my thought process wasn't too far off from their "roadmap", as seen in the article.  The only difference is I was laying out a theoretical release schedule based on whole number releases versus the inclusion of ".5" minor refreshes, which I mentioned in another comment those are more in play to push towards cloud subscriptions.

For Lightroom things may be more in the traditional way, but as Adobe has so far said they want to keep its Develope module and ACR more or less identical, LR may also be on a 2 year cycle now.

Well, Lightroom's traditional release schedule was never far off from a 2 year interval to begin with (save for the first update between 1.0 and 2.0).  You're talking a difference of ~2-3 months at most.  Now whether they continue this trend or not is still up in the air it seems.  Of course, if they follow the new trend it may not be that far of a deviation from when Lightroom was release anyways.

But even so, it seems to go without saying that with any major version release of Photoshop CS, a new Lightroom release is just around the bend whether it comes out a few month before or few months after (but never more than 2 years between releases).

I'm more of a Lightroom user than Photoshop CS user, so I am more interested in its release schedule than CS.  But both kind of go together hand in hand, so you have to pay attention to one to get an idea of the other.

And while it is always nice to see a shiny new toy every 18 months, my pocketbook doesn't share the same enthusiasm.  So if they push it back closer to a 2 year schedule but continue to provide support and enhancements to the existing between releases, then I have no complaints.

-- hide signature --

Paul

MichaelRose
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Mar 26, 2013

I surely don't want to see them move the software exclusively to the cloud.
I have too many things that are dependant on the Net (cloud) now, I don't need another.

This would be of no benefit to me– unless I was forced to use the cloud as the only way to get certain 'worthwhile' features...

Why should I have to phone-home once a month, or whatever the scheme, just to use software I've effectively 'leased' for a certain period?

Then after that period I have no equity, no functional software, absolutely nothing!

Just say no to the cloud for software!

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
In reply to MichaelRose, Mar 27, 2013

if you use a lot of the Adobe tools, rather than just PS, and in particular if you want to be current, then the monthly subscription works out well.

But it's much less the case if you're only using PS+Lightroom.   If Abode tried to eliminate Suite sales, the best play may be to keep upgrading lightroom for the new raw updates, and leave the CS version as is.

Peter Gordon 01701
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, May 17, 2013

The beta expires in June so I would hope soon thereafter. The big problem with LR5beta is it will not update a LR4 catalog.

Archer66
Like?
Re: When will new Lightroom "5" be released??
In reply to Peter Gordon 01701, May 17, 2013

Peter Gordon 01701 wrote:

The beta expires in June so I would hope soon thereafter.

Usually there is 2 month RC period so I'm guessing at the end of August.

ihv
ihv
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
Re: When will new Lightroom "5" be released??
In reply to Archer66, May 27, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

Peter Gordon 01701 wrote:

The beta expires in June so I would hope soon thereafter.

Usually there is 2 month RC period so I'm guessing at the end of August.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there have been no RC-s for major releases for Lightroom (but there have been RC-s for minor releases).

Once there was a second beta for a major release.

For this release I think it is mostly feature complete based on readings from here and there and I think the final release is coming before the beta gets obsolete - thus before the end of June.

Take care,

Ivar

johnsong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, May 27, 2013

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

You can buy PS CS 7 now it is called PS CC.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads