***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 25,866
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***

Looks like some kind of parakeet?  Nice little bird in a close setting - I like the green on green.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +24 more
zackiedawg
Re: Eurasian curlew

Nice light, and nice low angle on both shots - that's a good looking bird...the brown coloration works nicely with the water background, which is why the lower angle is so effective.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +24 more
zackiedawg

Very nice shooting Peter - especially for manual focus.  Great set of birds you've got there - and I think you did exactly the right thing on the singing bird - crop from a distance and catch the singing in action is better than getting closer and having a quiet bird with no action!  I like the noise that you left in the shot - no chroma, and a nice uniform luminance pattern, which to my eye is not distracting and almost looks like a canvas print.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: The Usual Suspects (14 images)

Very nice suspects, Gene - love the two waders beak-to-beak with eachother.  Also I love the coloration on that first bird, but have no idea what it is!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: Bald Eagle through the snow.

That actually makes for a very interesting abstract...if you didn't mention what it was, I'd almost look at it as a painting - eventually the eagle stands out within the composition.  Sometimes these oddball shots work out, and just have something interesting about them - this is one!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: burrowing owl

Such a neat little guy to see!  I didn't even realize they'd ever get up so high in the U.S. - we're rather used to them down here as South Florida has them quite common - they burrow in a lot of our baseball and football fields, and are protected, so when they decide to build their den in such a public place, they are surrounded by emergency cones and caution tape and left alone!

-- hide signature --

Justin

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,236
Re: burrowing owl

They are common east of here 100 miles or so.  Our soil is rather pumicy and doesn't lend itself to burrows.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
evangelos k Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Boring Ducks
Gene Tenold Veteran Member • Posts: 3,275
Justin...

The 1st one is a Anna's Hummingbird. Thanks for the comments, I have decided that the Nikon will be my main camera, and my a77 & a700 will be my back-ups.

Gene

Gene Tenold's gear list:Gene Tenold's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 5,187
Re: Eurasian curlew

zackiedawg wrote:

Nice light, and nice low angle on both shots - that's a good looking bird...the brown coloration works nicely with the water background, which is why the lower angle is so effective.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Thanks for the kind words Justin. I've enjoyed all the pictures on this thread. I forgot to write on my post: I took these with a Pentax K5 + Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO (manual focus) + 2x TC. The exif says f/6.3, but with the TC that makes f/12.6! Still usable, but barely!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +10 more
TractionMan Forum Member • Posts: 91
Backyard blackbird.

A77 + Minolta 100-400 APO

TractionMan's gear list:TractionMan's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +6 more
Fletchx Junior Member • Posts: 40

I wish this was sharper but I was taken by surprise. I still like it though.

Fletchx's gear list:Fletchx's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
Peter Heckert2
Peter Heckert2 Contributing Member • Posts: 520

Great shot!

I hope you dont mind, I made it sharper.

In Photoshop, Higlights reduced 100% and twice and shadows enhanced.
Blue saturation and hue reduced.
Sharpened with smart sharpen.

The main problem is not sharpness but the high contrast against the sky. I know this problem too well ;-). This makes the bird appear too dark.

This all was made with quick global editing. Probably it would be better to sharpen the birds face only in a local edit, because the tree doesnt need sharpening.

wish you always good light,

Peter

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 5,187
Re: Boring Ducks

Geia sou Evangele!

I love the fist pic, very dreamy, well done!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +10 more
evangelos k Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Boring Ducks

Γεια σου Miles!  Thanks for the comment!

miles green wrote:

Geia sou Evangele!

I love the fist pic, very dreamy, well done!

knaller Forum Member • Posts: 70
Still winter here...

in germany. Dark and cold. But yesterday I got the rare chance to shoot some pics in good light - here is the result.

Greetings

And with my "new" used Sal 70400G, of course

knaller

knaller's gear list:knaller's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads