Springtime In Shropshire.

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
bluemoonman
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Springtime In Shropshire.
Mar 24, 2013

23rd March last year we were getting sunburnt, This year we get 6-7inches of snow & freezing conditions,

Had my SX50 a few days & still trying to get used to it.

Little Robin singing away despite the weather (some pp used to lighten)

Interesting snow effect on the fence.

Trying out the "toy camera" effect on one of my cockerels.

Trying out the "miniature effect" on our house from a hill which is spot on 3 miles away (before the snow came)

Cockerel straight out of the camera with no pp

So far I am undecided about keeping the SX50, it would seem to be a very capable camera which can produce some very good images throughout the zoom range but moving from a DSLR there are a few things I will have to get used to,

I knew the evf would be a concern & although small but its not as bad as I thought but I have always tended to compose through the vf & view on the screen so having to change from one to the other all the time is a real pain,

Also altough the zoom is great for shooting wildlife focus is slower than a DSLR so I seem to miss more shots,

I realise the more I use the camera the better things should get but I am not sure I am ready for a move from DSLR yet.

Djordje Jevtovic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

I like fence shot a lot.

 Djordje Jevtovic's gear list:Djordje Jevtovic's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DarthVader
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

Hi bluemoonman,

I understand exactly what you're going through, because I was in the same dilemma. After having used the SX50 for 3 months now (and also having the G15 as a DSLR substitute), I decided to sell my 60D with all the 4 lenses and the big Lowepro bag! I already sold my 70-300 L lens (and almost got what I paid for it myself a year ago!), and now I'm trying to sell the rest.

For me, the main reason to do it, was the weight and the non-flexibility regarding the lens. You know, even with a DSLR you can miss shots, especially when the wrong lens is mounted. I know about the weaknesses of the SX50, but I also know about its strenghts.

I'll go for a hiking holiday in Greece next month, and I just could not imagine carrying almost 2 kg (60D with 70-300L) of gear around my neck for 6 or 7 hours per day, when it can be done with less than a third of that weight.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVED the 60D and think it's a great camera, but it just was not the right thing for ME. But who knows, maybe I'll regret my decision soon ... but that's the same with EVERY decision you make: you only know AFTERWARDS whether it was the right one or not ... that's just the nature of decisions ...

Cheers from Switzerland (where we don't have snow anymore where I live, but it's still cold with chilly winds blowing),

Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluemoonman
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to DarthVader, Mar 24, 2013

DarthVader wrote:

Hi bluemoonman,

I understand exactly what you're going through, because I was in the same dilemma. After having used the SX50 for 3 months now (and also having the G15 as a DSLR substitute), I decided to sell my 60D with all the 4 lenses and the big Lowepro bag! I already sold my 70-300 L lens (and almost got what I paid for it myself a year ago!), and now I'm trying to sell the rest.

For me, the main reason to do it, was the weight and the non-flexibility regarding the lens. You know, even with a DSLR you can miss shots, especially when the wrong lens is mounted. I know about the weaknesses of the SX50, but I also know about its strenghts.

I'll go for a hiking holiday in Greece next month, and I just could not imagine carrying almost 2 kg (60D with 70-300L) of gear around my neck for 6 or 7 hours per day, when it can be done with less than a third of that weight.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVED the 60D and think it's a great camera, but it just was not the right thing for ME. But who knows, maybe I'll regret my decision soon ... but that's the same with EVERY decision you make: you only know AFTERWARDS whether it was the right one or not ... that's just the nature of decisions ...

Cheers from Switzerland (where we don't have snow anymore where I live, but it's still cold with chilly winds blowing),

Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Kurt, Thanks for the informative reply, strange how there is always a compromise, the ease of use, flexibility & zoom range of the sx50 is a huge bonus but the evf & slow focus are difficult to put up with,

I think for now I will keep my DSLR but cant really afford in the long run to keep both set ups, like yourself I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks & what happens then will probably make my mind up, Thanks again, Jon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JIngrouille
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

I am also from Shropshire and have the Canon SX50 and there is a lot more snow today than in Jan!!!  I can't even get the car off the drive.

-- hide signature --

Ingy

 JIngrouille's gear list:JIngrouille's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to DarthVader, Mar 24, 2013

Hi Kurt,

I understand - I made a move from DSLR use for overseas travel about two years ago.  I still use my K5 and (too many) lenses, but I don't take them on extended trips.  My choice was a G1X and I found a huge sense of freedom in travelling with an 'all-in-one' small camera.  Yes I missed the DSLR on a few occasions, but not actually that many.  I rationalised that I was not publishing or exhibiting my shots from a family holiday, but seeking well rendered memories.  You don't need a DSLR and THE KIT to do that.  And the truth is, I found that I could get more 'into' the holiday.

Enjoy Greece.  Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluemoonman
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to JIngrouille, Mar 24, 2013

JIngrouille wrote:

I am also from Shropshire and have the Canon SX50 and there is a lot more snow today than in Jan!!! I can't even get the car off the drive.

-- hide signature --

Ingy

Its a small world!,

what do you think of the SX50? & do you fancy posting some photos of the snow, cheers, Jon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jay7h
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

I just went through a similar decision.  I already have a SX 40 and have taken some really good pictures. (in my opinion) I thought about "moving up" to an SLR camera.  My first shock was the sticker price.  The are expensive!  Then you have to buy additional lenses.  Telephoto is really a problem.  They are huge, heavy and expensive.  The "deal breaker" for me is when I went to the various sites on line and compared IQ with my camera.  Only in rare view cases did I find that these expensive SLR cameras took better photos.  That made an easy decision for me to keep the SX 40 and forget about the SLR.  Everything is in one small package, long zoom, light weight, lower price, flexibility (from macro to zoom) and I am out of the "lust factor race" of wanting bigger and better new lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

bluemoonman wrote:

Trying out the "miniature effect" on our house from a hill which is spot on 3 miles away (before the snow came)

How far away was it after the snow fell?

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

 saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,596Gear list
Like?
+1 for the fence shot!! (nt)
In reply to Djordje Jevtovic, Mar 24, 2013

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JIngrouille
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

The SX 50 is a great little camera as long as you work within it's capabilities, TBH I mostly use it at the long end as I have several larger sensor camera's I use  for shot up to 300mm but I got fed up humping heavy 300mm2.8/400mm/500mm lenses about and even when using 500mm I was only managing to fill a small part of the frame when taking small birds but with the SX 50 I have no such problem and also to be able to hand hold the eqv of 1200mm @ 50th sec and get sharp pictures is crazy also TBH as long as you don't blown up images to a huge size they can look almost as good as doing it with the big stuff.

Regards John 

BTW I'm based near Ironbridge

-- hide signature --

Ingy

 JIngrouille's gear list:JIngrouille's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluemoonman
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to saycheese, Mar 24, 2013

saycheese wrote:

bluemoonman wrote:

Trying out the "miniature effect" on our house from a hill which is spot on 3 miles away (before the snow came)

How far away was it after the snow fell?

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
Frodsham Panoramic

Thanks that made me smile,

Believe it or not (I dont understand the maths) but its more or less the same distance after the snow! its just that I now I cant get down my drive never mind up the hill.

Cheers, Jon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluemoonman
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to JIngrouille, Mar 24, 2013

Those are very impressive, did you pp at all?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to JIngrouille, Mar 24, 2013

John, those are fine examples you have posted. And using ISO 800 would have been unthinkable on these small sensor cameras just a few short years ago.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DarthVader
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

bluemoonman wrote:

DarthVader wrote:

Hi bluemoonman,

I understand exactly what you're going through, because I was in the same dilemma. After having used the SX50 for 3 months now (and also having the G15 as a DSLR substitute), I decided to sell my 60D with all the 4 lenses and the big Lowepro bag! I already sold my 70-300 L lens (and almost got what I paid for it myself a year ago!), and now I'm trying to sell the rest.

For me, the main reason to do it, was the weight and the non-flexibility regarding the lens. You know, even with a DSLR you can miss shots, especially when the wrong lens is mounted. I know about the weaknesses of the SX50, but I also know about its strenghts.

I'll go for a hiking holiday in Greece next month, and I just could not imagine carrying almost 2 kg (60D with 70-300L) of gear around my neck for 6 or 7 hours per day, when it can be done with less than a third of that weight.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVED the 60D and think it's a great camera, but it just was not the right thing for ME. But who knows, maybe I'll regret my decision soon ... but that's the same with EVERY decision you make: you only know AFTERWARDS whether it was the right one or not ... that's just the nature of decisions ...

Cheers from Switzerland (where we don't have snow anymore where I live, but it's still cold with chilly winds blowing),

Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Kurt, Thanks for the informative reply, strange how there is always a compromise, the ease of use, flexibility & zoom range of the sx50 is a huge bonus but the evf & slow focus are difficult to put up with,

I think for now I will keep my DSLR but cant really afford in the long run to keep both set ups, like yourself I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks & what happens then will probably make my mind up, Thanks again, Jon.

You're very welcome, Jon!

Of course, everybody must make his own mind about this, so your decision might easily differ from mine. Whatever you decide: enjoy taking pictures.

Cheers,

Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DarthVader
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 24, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I understand - I made a move from DSLR use for overseas travel about two years ago. I still use my K5 and (too many) lenses, but I don't take them on extended trips. My choice was a G1X and I found a huge sense of freedom in travelling with an 'all-in-one' small camera. Yes I missed the DSLR on a few occasions, but not actually that many. I rationalised that I was not publishing or exhibiting my shots from a family holiday, but seeking well rendered memories. You don't need a DSLR and THE KIT to do that. And the truth is, I found that I could get more 'into' the holiday.

Enjoy Greece. Cheers, Rod

Hi Rod,

Same here: what is a DSLR good for, when you (mostly) leave it at home, because it's too heavy/bulky to carry around? At least, that's what I was thinking, and seeing the overall good picture quality of the SX50, and still having the fast lens on the G15, I think I'll be able to live without a DSLR. And it's just a hobby for me, so why should I burden myself? And you said something very important: "... seeking well rendered memories." That's also my opinion, and for that, the SX50 does a very good job.

I will definitely try to enjoy Greece, and am looking forwards to hiking along the coast.

Cheers, Kurt

-- hide signature --

Don't underestimate the Force!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JIngrouille
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to filibuster, Mar 24, 2013

Your not wrong there, great camera

-- hide signature --

Ingy

 JIngrouille's gear list:JIngrouille's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JIngrouille
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 24, 2013

Yes, a bit of cropping/USM/Sat plus contrast because I always use RAW so you have to.

-- hide signature --

Ingy

 JIngrouille's gear list:JIngrouille's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 25, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I understand - I made a move from DSLR use for overseas travel about two years ago. I still use my K5 and (too many) lenses, but I don't take them on extended trips. My choice was a G1X and I found a huge sense of freedom in travelling with an 'all-in-one' small camera. Yes I missed the DSLR on a few occasions, but not actually that many. I rationalised that I was not publishing or exhibiting my shots from a family holiday, but seeking well rendered memories. You don't need a DSLR and THE KIT to do that. And the truth is, I found that I could get more 'into' the holiday.

Enjoy Greece. Cheers, Rod

Rod --

I picked up a G1x last November and similarly have been really, really, impressed with it. One of its shocking strengths is the quality of the lens, and the excellent IS built in.  Really, for most "trip" use as you describe, it truly is more than adequate, and the (almost) APSC sensor generates fully satisfactory RAW files that i've printed at 16x24 with pleasure.

That said, i find it a dog to operate:  slow as pouring molassas, with a frustratingly limited focusing distance and "macro" mode.  I understand that the G1x is a Powershot platform, but these 'features' are frustrating.  But, really, trip photos usually aren't of action, are they?

My D7000 kit will remain the bees knees when i must get a maximum quality shot under difficult conditions.  The overall ergonomics, wireless flash, and lenses like my 14mm and teles will always have a place.  But gosh, the G1x goes everywhere else.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

 gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Thank you Salopians!
In reply to bluemoonman, Mar 26, 2013

Thank you bluemoonman and John for putting a smile on my face with "Shropshire" in the heading.  I spent a year in Shrewsbury 41 years ago, and didn't have a chance to revisit until March of last year. (A highlight was a quick trip to Bridgnorth.) It was, of course, a lovely time of year, so it pains me to think of you enduring such an extended winter.  On the other hand we're expecting snow overnight here in New England.

Lovely memories and lovely pictures.  Count your blessings every day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads