7D Question

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Re: 7D Question

Two more stops is exactly how I feel.  Am I deceiving myself saying that I would not want more?

 Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Re: 7D Question

I am talking not about AF point/area selection, but about switching modes.  I did learn to find M.Fn button by feel, but it took a bit of time for it become natural.

 Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
wcrosman Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Re: 7D Question

If I was a full-time pro I could envision upgraded to a full frame simply because of the lower image noise.   That said, I'm not and I won't.  Fully satisfied with my 7D.

Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: 7D Question

wcrosman wrote:

If I was a full-time pro I could envision upgraded to a full frame simply because of the lower image noise. That said, I'm not and I won't. Fully satisfied with my 7D.

Exactly. I'm not saying a pro can't or should not use a 7D but if I were making a living with my cameras I'd have the latest D series and 5D series which are available and current. I have the 5D3 and I'd kill to own the 1DX.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: That being said

Even if Sony makes a better sensor I feel I can match any Nikon crop for clarity, rich colour and everything else and the "general public" would not know the difference.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 11,892
Re: 7D Question

I don't know if you read the article here with two high-level pro photographers the top-of-the-line Nikon and Canon cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4220647313/pro-dslrs-pro-photographers

It was interesting to note at least one reference to the 7D being useful to such high-end pros - not as a primary body, but as one that certainly had its uses for pro work. And even pros don't have unlimited budgets and must use what they can justify buying, not what they wish they had.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

 Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: 7D Question

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I don't know if you read the article here with two high-level pro photographers the top-of-the-line Nikon and Canon cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4220647313/pro-dslrs-pro-photographers

It was interesting to note at least one reference to the 7D being useful to such high-end pros - not as a primary body, but as one that certainly had its uses for pro work. And even pros don't have unlimited budgets and must use what they can justify buying, not what they wish they had.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

For sure not everyone can afford it. If I were a pro I would consider a lease plan then I could write it off at tax time. One local camera store offers that and pros do it but if you can't write it off the back end cost is deadly. I never worked it out to see if it makes financial sense. I'd still find a way to work with the best a manufacturer has to offer.

Thanks for the link.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406
Re: 7D Question

Luther T wrote:

There are a lot of complaints and threads about the age of the 7d and Canon delaying the new and improved 7D, what ever they may call it.

Now to my question, Are the majority of 7D users actually butting up against the limits of the camera to a point where they need a better body? If so, I'm envious because I don't see myself ever reaching that point. So far, all the limiting factors have been me, not the 7D or the lenses.

I love the 7D and while there exists newer cameras from Nikon etc... that look GREAT, not isn't an indictment on the 7D.  Fast, good IQ, great FPS, solid AF, what's not to like??  The only limitations are in depth of field control, printing GIANT, and ISO.  Yes, I hit against the ISO limitation, though I've gotten useful shots from 6400 it's pretty bad in comparison to the 5d3 or 6d.  I've had no issue with 1600 on the 7D and 3200 is quite useful, so that's pretty impressive anyway.  Usually if you need to shoot super high ISO you should probably be adding light anyway.

-- hide signature --

Luke

 Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +15 more
Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: 7D Question

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Luther T wrote:

There are a lot of complaints and threads about the age of the 7d and Canon delaying the new and improved 7D, what ever they may call it.

Now to my question, Are the majority of 7D users actually butting up against the limits of the camera to a point where they need a better body? If so, I'm envious because I don't see myself ever reaching that point. So far, all the limiting factors have been me, not the 7D or the lenses.

I love the 7D and while there exists newer cameras from Nikon etc... that look GREAT, not isn't an indictment on the 7D. Fast, good IQ, great FPS, solid AF, what's not to like?? The only limitations are in depth of field control, printing GIANT, and ISO. Yes, I hit against the ISO limitation, though I've gotten useful shots from 6400 it's pretty bad in comparison to the 5d3 or 6d. I've had no issue with 1600 on the 7D and 3200 is quite useful, so that's pretty impressive anyway. Usually if you need to shoot super high ISO you should probably be adding light anyway.

-- hide signature --

Luke

Me too. For important events 1600 is my comfort zone but I will shoot at 3200 if I must.I was very comfortable 3200 with my 5D2 and had no issue at 6400. Still need to experiment @ 12,800 with my 5D3.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Limburger
Limburger Senior Member • Posts: 6,473
Re: 7D Question

Children push to the edge.

And adults with their gear are no diffrent, whether you call it speed limit or iso

Keep shooting and having fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,853
Re: 7D Question

Luther T wrote:

Now to my question, Are the majority of 7D users actually butting up against the limits of the camera to a point where they need a better body? If so, I'm envious because I don't see myself ever reaching that point. So far, all the limiting factors have been me, not the 7D or the lenses.

Certainly, no one is as good as they can be, but regardless, the camera can still get in the way.

One example: you're shooting with auto-ISO, and you realize that you need flash, so you turn on the flash, and, voila, you get a picture that is completely blown out, or the image is dark and you only see the flash and none of the ambient exposure.  What happened?  Canon programmed the camera so that when you are using auto-ISO and turn on the flash, the ISO gets fixed at 400, severely overexposing or under-exposing the ambient part of the shot.

Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: 7D Question
1

Limburger wrote:

Children push to the edge.

And adults with their gear are no diffrent, whether you call it speed limit or iso

Keep shooting and having fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Please don't remind me of true that is. It is pretty ugly when have a fleeting thought of taking your new toy to bed with you. How many people wake up with the manual and the new camera on the nightstand? Common fess up  At least when your an adult it winds up on the night stand.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Limburger
Limburger Senior Member • Posts: 6,473
Re: 7D Question

Zee Char wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Children push to the edge.

And adults with their gear are no diffrent, whether you call it speed limit or iso

Keep shooting and having fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Please don't remind me of true that is. It is pretty ugly when have a fleeting thought of taking your new toy to bed with you. How many people wake up with the manual and the new camera on the nightstand? Common fess up At least when your an adult it winds up on the night stand.

Kids are crop sensors and adults are FF

Sort of.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Rexgig0 Senior Member • Posts: 3,197
Re: 7D Question

I use my pair of 7D cameras on and off the job; they are still very relevant and capable. (The job is police/evidentiary photography.) I will use older 5D cameras for some subjects, especially when using L prime lenses to shoot with a shallow depth of field, as this is best done with a full-frame camera, but for macro, wildlife, birds, moving dogs, and sports, the 7D performs very well.

 Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882
Re: 7D Question

John Sheehy wrote:

Luther T wrote:

Now to my question, Are the majority of 7D users actually butting up against the limits of the camera to a point where they need a better body? If so, I'm envious because I don't see myself ever reaching that point. So far, all the limiting factors have been me, not the 7D or the lenses.

Certainly, no one is as good as they can be, but regardless, the camera can still get in the way.

One example: you're shooting with auto-ISO, and you realize that you need flash, so you turn on the flash, and, voila, you get a picture that is completely blown out, or the image is dark and you only see the flash and none of the ambient exposure. What happened? Canon programmed the camera so that when you are using auto-ISO and turn on the flash, the ISO gets fixed at 400, severely overexposing or under-exposing the ambient part of the shot.

Hey John. Were have you been? You have not posted in a while.

 Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Rexgig0 Senior Member • Posts: 3,197
Re: 7D Question

As for the concept of waiting for the next generation/Mark, digital camera technology is moving so fast, anything one buys will soon be surpassed by something newer. This certainly does not keep me from continuing to enjoy my 2005-era 5D and 1D Mark II N cameras, or my slightly more-recent 40D, which still produce excellent images. Indeed, I bought the 5D and 1D2N cameras after I already owned my 7D cameras, to explore the use of full-frame and 1.3x-crop sensors at a much lower price point than buying new. (Plus, the extended use of a 1D2N will help me better understand the increased weight and bulk factors before deciding whether to save the extra money for a future 1D X.)

Helping to offset the older technology in the 7D, is its currently lower purchase price!

 Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,571
Re: 7D Question

John Sheehy wrote:

Luther T wrote:

Now to my question, Are the majority of 7D users actually butting up against the limits of the camera to a point where they need a better body? If so, I'm envious because I don't see myself ever reaching that point. So far, all the limiting factors have been me, not the 7D or the lenses.

Certainly, no one is as good as they can be, but regardless, the camera can still get in the way.

One example: you're shooting with auto-ISO, and you realize that you need flash, so you turn on the flash, and, voila, you get a picture that is completely blown out, or the image is dark and you only see the flash and none of the ambient exposure. What happened? Canon programmed the camera so that when you are using auto-ISO and turn on the flash, the ISO gets fixed at 400, severely overexposing or under-exposing the ambient part of the shot....

And...Nikon does similiar...just worse.   The body & flash are linked...and most of the Nik bodies can't be undone, at least not easily.  I know, got both brands.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon PowerShot G3 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 Canon EOS 70D
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 4,562
Re: 7D Question

Zee Char wrote:

wcrosman wrote:

If I was a full-time pro I could envision upgraded to a full frame simply because of the lower image noise. That said, I'm not and I won't. Fully satisfied with my 7D.

Exactly. I'm not saying a pro can't or should not use a 7D but if I were making a living with my cameras I'd have the latest D series and 5D series which are available and current. I have the 5D3 and I'd kill to own the 1DX.

I wouldn't kill for the 1DX as I would also "need" the MarkII long telephotos to go with it to realize all of its advantages. As a portrait or reach limited wildlife camera, it wouldn't be a smart choice, regardless what the Canon ambassadors and promotors say. Its a perfect professional sports camera and if I shot sports as a pro or a fanatical hobbyist, I'd definitely own it for that use. Cropping a 1DX focal length limited image one comes to the harsh realization that those sweetly pixels can only do so much. A more dense sensor yields more detail in that situation.

 riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II HTC One
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads