D7100 vs. Pentax K5II-s tests....

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions
carauction
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,589
Like?
D7100 vs. Pentax K5II-s tests....
Mar 24, 2013

Pentax K5II-s has AA filter removed also. Gets pretty interesting by ISO3200.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Guess you have to put both cameras in to the comparameter after you copy & paste.

Mike

Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Snapshotx7
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 vs. Pentax K5II-s tests....
In reply to carauction, Mar 24, 2013

The K5II results look very good.  It seems to preserve a tiny bit more detail than the D7100.  However, 2 things have prevented me from even considering a Pentax.  Lens selection and most importantly, ergonomics.  Feature wise, Pentax has been very competitive.

Snapshotx7's gear list:Snapshotx7's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to Snapshotx7, Mar 24, 2013

Snapshotx7 wrote:

The K5II results look very good. It seems to preserve a tiny bit more detail than the D7100. However, 2 things have prevented me from even considering a Pentax. Lens selection and most importantly, ergonomics. Feature wise, Pentax has been very competitive.

Ergonomics??? From what K5II owners say is completely the opposite, including previous Nikon owners, they love the ergonomics. From what i understand they say is one of the best build cameras, kind of like the NAD of home audio receivers compared to everyone else like yamaha, denon and everyone else.

I myself am looking into the K5IIs as my next camera. I really don't know too much about it and i have only seen a couple of photos from that camera and they seem beautiful and sharp. One thing i have become to realize is that this "sharpness/detail" stuff going around is only happening with Nikon with this new D7100 camera simply because the AA has been removed, but really is nothing completely new to any other camera manufacturer that have been already been doing this for sometime, so to them is no big deal and they are all probably laughing at all this stuff going on here. Yes, this is new in this nikon camera, and the price is excellent, but is not really "new" technology compared to other cameras, and other camera brand owners have already been enjoying this kind of sharpness and detail already for some time. But then again i don't know anything

I have also heard that, that they don't have a big selection, but i am sure that pentax has at least three or four top notch lenses for that body. Personally i don't think i need more than four high quality lenses for what i do. I did check in amazon and Samyang/Rokinon does make pentax mount lenses, which is very nice.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Snapshotx7
Like?
In reply to mistermejia, Mar 24, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

The K5II results look very good. It seems to preserve a tiny bit more detail than the D7100. However, 2 things have prevented me from even considering a Pentax. Lens selection and most importantly, ergonomics. Feature wise, Pentax has been very competitive.

Ergonomics??? From what K5II owners say is completely the opposite, including previous Nikon owners, they love the ergonomics. From what i understand they say is one of the best build cameras, kind of like the NAD of home audio receivers compared to everyone else like yamaha, denon and everyone else.

I myself am looking into the K5IIs as my next camera. I really don't know too much about it and i have only seen a couple of photos from that camera and they seem beautiful and sharp. One thing i have become to realize is that this "sharpness/detail" stuff going around is only happening with Nikon with this new D7100 camera simply because the AA has been removed, but really is nothing completely new to any other camera manufacturer that have been already been doing this for sometime, so to them is no big deal and they are all probably laughing at all this stuff going on here. Yes, this is new in this nikon camera, and the price is excellent, but is not really "new" technology compared to other cameras, and other camera brand owners have already been enjoying this kind of sharpness and detail already for some time. But then again i don't know anything

I have also heard that, that they don't have a big selection, but i am sure that pentax has at least three or four top notch lenses for that body. Personally i don't think i need more than four high quality lenses for what i do. I did check in amazon and Samyang/Rokinon does make pentax mount lenses, which is very nice.

Interesting.  Please report back once you get the K5II.  I did not like previous bodies from Pentax (just the ergonomics, not the build quality or features).  As for lens selection, the one lens I can't give up is the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8.  I waited years to get it, and now that I own it and have had a chance to use it, I can see why everyone loves it.  Tamron's 70-200mm VC would be the closest (and a lens I considered), but so far they haven't announced a Pentax version.  I don't doubt the K5II is built like a tank.  If anything, Pentax known for their rugged build quality and competitive feature set.

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
mistermejia
Like?

Snapshotx7 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

Ergonomics??? From what K5II owners say is completely the opposite, including previous Nikon owners, they love the ergonomics. From what i understand they say is one of the best build cameras, kind of like the NAD of home audio receivers compared to everyone else like yamaha, denon and everyone else.

Interesting. Please report back once you get the K5II. I did not like previous bodies from Pentax (just the ergonomics, not the build quality or features). As for lens selection, the one lens I can't give up is the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8. I waited years to get it, and now that I own it and have had a chance to use it, I can see why everyone loves it. Tamron's 70-200mm VC would be the closest (and a lens I considered), but so far they haven't announced a Pentax version. I don't doubt the K5II is built like a tank. If anything, Pentax known for their rugged build quality and competitive feature set.

I understand what you are saying. I don't have a $2K lens, but i do have six currently and obviously i would have to sell all of them and get pentax compatible lenses. The pentax images look fantastic from that link posted above. I am open minded and i like to explore different things, my wife tells me that i get bored fast then i go buy something "different" all the time. But when i do find something really good i do keep it

To me the images from the D7100 look identical, color and everything compared to the D7000, exept that they are just a BIT sharper than the D7000 at low ISO. That's just what my eyes are seeing, i am not making things up. Honestly, overall i think i was around 70% satisfied with my D7000, good camera. But i would like to experience a 90% satisfaction and something "different" if i am going to throw in that money again. Don't blame me, that's just what my HEART is telling me, you know what i mean?

Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Snapshotx7
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

Interesting. Please report back once you get the K5II. I did not like previous bodies from Pentax (just the ergonomics, not the build quality or features). As for lens selection, the one lens I can't give up is the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8. I waited years to get it, and now that I own it and have had a chance to use it, I can see why everyone loves it. Tamron's 70-200mm VC would be the closest (and a lens I considered), but so far they haven't announced a Pentax version. I don't doubt the K5II is built like a tank. If anything, Pentax known for their rugged build quality and competitive feature set.

I understand what you are saying. I don't have a $2K lens, but i do have six currently and obviously i would have to sell all of them and get pentax compatible lenses. The pentax images look fantastic from that link posted above. I am open minded and i like to explore different things, my wife tells me that i get bored fast then i go buy something "different" all the time. But when i do find something really good i do keep it

To me the images from the D7100 look identical, color and everything compared to the D7000, exept that they are just a BIT sharper than the D7000 at low ISO. That's just what my eyes are seeing, i am not making things up. Honestly, overall i think i was around 70% satisfied with my D7000, good camera. But i would like to experience a 90% satisfaction and something "different" if i am going to throw in that money again. Don't blame me, that's just what my HEART is telling me, you know what i mean?

Totally with you.  I'm get the gadget itch frequently.  Only 6 lenses?  That's more than me.  I waited 6 years to get the 70-200mm.  So long that a new version came out.  Lol.  But it was worth the wait.

I'm going from a D80 to a D7100.  So imagine the difference in quality.  All the new cameras out have very very similar picture quality.  Heck, a D3200 or D5200 look very similar to a D7100 in terms of picture quality.  You pay more for the more convenient button layout, better build quality, better AF, dual card slots (which the K5II doesn't have), better ergonomics when using larger lenses, etc.  I wish the D7100 had the ISO, WB, Qual buttons on top like the D800 and the power aperture control.

I looked at the cost of the Pentax lenses.  Price is very similar to Nikon equivalents.  I read on the Pentax forums that their lenses are more affordable, but that doesn't appear to the case when I check current prices.  The one big disadvantage even if lens selection was equal is Pentax only has lenses for crop sensors and no path for full frame.  I plan on getting full frame next.  I'll wait until the successor of the D600 comes out and then make the jump.

Enjoy your D7000.  I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my D7100 for many years.  Shoot it til the shutter falls off.  Then look at getting the latest and greatest.  Cheers.

mistermejia
Like?

Snapshotx7 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Snapshotx7 wrote:

Totally with you. I'm get the gadget itch frequently. Only 6 lenses? That's more than me. I waited 6 years to get the 70-200mm. So long that a new version came out. Lol. But it was worth the wait.

I'm going from a D80 to a D7100. So imagine the difference in quality. All the new cameras out have very very similar picture quality. Heck, a D3200 or D5200 look very similar to a D7100 in terms of picture quality. You pay more for the more convenient button layout, better build quality, better AF, dual card slots (which the K5II doesn't have), better ergonomics when using larger lenses, etc. I wish the D7100 had the ISO, WB, Qual buttons on top like the D800 and the power aperture control.

I looked at the cost of the Pentax lenses. Price is very similar to Nikon equivalents. I read on the Pentax forums that their lenses are more affordable, but that doesn't appear to the case when I check current prices. The one big disadvantage even if lens selection was equal is Pentax only has lenses for crop sensors and no path for full frame. I plan on getting full frame next. I'll wait until the successor of the D600 comes out and then make the jump.

Enjoy your D7000. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my D7100 for many years. Shoot it til the shutter falls off. Then look at getting the latest and greatest. Cheers.

I actually don't buy every single new gadget that comes out, i dont' go to extremes either.

I had a D7000 and sold it three months ago and got me the Fuji S5 PRO. This one is a keeper. I would not buy another D7000 at this point in time.

I am not saying i am buying the pentax tomorrow, i am just researching.  But regarding lenses, if you seek you shall find them!

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?

Snapshotx7 wrote:

Could you be specific about the ergonomics?  What is it that you like about the D7100 better?  Or should I ask, what don't you like about the K5IIs?

Ergonomics is a hot issue for me, and practically determined one camera purchase.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
carauction
Like?

The Pentax SMC-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited is their top lens, and FF.

Lens selection was/is the main drawback for me to migrate over to Pentax. I have reviewed their lens line up extensively, and the one I would buy is the FA31. I like the Sigma 35 F/1.4, but it is not out in a Pentax mount yet, but slated. From reviewing and looking at images though, the FA31 shows better bokeh and better resistance to C/A. But probably not as sharp as the Siggy. But this FA31 lens really looks nice. I don't know if B&H is open today, but if they are I might take a ride and check out the FA 31 K5II-s combo.

A very cheap lens, and sounds like it is well worth the money, is the Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL. This may be the way to start cheaply into Pentax. Buy this lens and a used/refurbished K5-II-s body.

However, after the FA 31, I am not overly impressed by their lens election. But I am certain over time, one would be able to navigate the lens reviews better. Long telephoto Primes, and high grade mid-range zooms like the 70-200, don't appear to be very popular in their line-up. Older Primes are the Pentax thing, but I suspect their sharpness is like the older Nikon 50 F/1.8's and 50 1.4 AF-D lenses...soft until F/2.8-F/4.

One other thing that has been mentioned is indeed the positive design of the Pentax camera body. One review stated that Pentax must have had a 'Photographer' design Pentax bodies, as all button/dials are placed very ergonomically.

As per the comparison images. The D7100 definitely wins out here at lower ISO. And should look even better at a comparative 16 megapixel down rez. However, things get very close as you get to the ISO 3200 range. Here things look extremely close. The deciding edge may very well come down to lens usage, and I would love to check out some images taken with the K5-IIs and the FA-31!

Mike

carauction
Like?

Snapshotx7 wrote:

I don't see where the K-5IIs wins over the D7100, except when you get to ISO3200. And even there the D7100 does better in the 'resolution wheel'. And don't forget, the D7100 is not down- sampled to 16 megapixels. I really think the quality of glass unquestionable would play a bigger role in these tests.

Mike

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,923
Like?
Whatever the people say..
In reply to nkistrup, Mar 24, 2013

If ergonomics is that important you must try both bodies yourself. And take into account the effect from being used to a nikon if you own one now.

I had a k10d and a k5 as well (for a short while though).

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

What company makes the K52 sensor, because when I compared it to D7000, the D7000 looked very similar, but with better noise. It's easier to compare these two because the objects in the crops seem to be the same size, which I presume means you can more easily compare noise at higher iso. I also didn't see as big a diff in resolution between these two cameras, as between the D7100, and 7000, although the Pentax looks sharper.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, Mar 24, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

What company makes the K52 sensor, because when I compared it to D7000, the D7000 looked very similar, but with better noise. It's easier to compare these two because the objects in the crops seem to be the same size, which I presume means you can more easily compare noise at higher iso. I also didn't see as big a diff in resolution between these two cameras, as between the D7100, and 7000, although the Pentax looks sharper.

The K5 II sensor is Sony EXMOR; it's basically the same sensor that is in the D7000.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,075Gear list
Like?

One thing I'd be worried about in jumping to Pentax is that they have been a very marginal player in the market for many years and are in an even worse situation right now. They're very much like Nikon in that their sole business is optical products - cameras, binoculars, and machine vision products.  They recently merged with Ricoh to gain access to a more stable revenue stream.  Ricoh may have the means to keep Pentax going for several years yet, but like so many other Asian conglomerates, their main focus is elsewhere.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
3D Gunner
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?
Less detail than the D7100

Snapshotx7 wrote:

The K5II results look very good. It seems to preserve a tiny bit more detail than the D7100.

Where did you see "a tiny bit more detail than the D7100"?

3D Gunner's gear list:3D Gunner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Gar Ber
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Mar 24, 2013

Just my 5 cents since I've been in the position of testing K-5II and D7100 at the same time for a brief amount of time: you have to handle them both yourself...you just have to. To me K5II feels really different than D7100. It's not like one is better than the other; in fact both felt ergonomically "suitable" for my hands, but it gave me the sensation that D7100 is "really good to hold", while K5II "actually wants to be held", it's like K5II snuggles with your hand, but that is a really personal assessment so your results will vary greatly.  For the way I shoot, the button placement was adequate on both, but really different.

I know it's not much, but my point is, go and just try handling both, if you haven't held a K5II before you'll probably be surprised.

David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Less detail than the D7100
In reply to 3D Gunner, Mar 24, 2013

After viewing that full size, I would give the nod to the D7100.

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
creaDVty
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: Less detail than the D7100
In reply to 3D Gunner, Mar 24, 2013

On those samples the D7100 looks sharper even without zooming in.  I can easily read the zip code on the wine bottle whereas it's harder to do that with the K-5 IIs.

-- hide signature --

www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com
TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Olympus Stylus 1 +13 more
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?

After paying my dues with P/S (never shot film) I was researching my first dSLR. The main factor six years ago or so was, how does it feel to you, you and only you. I had my choice narrowed down to the Sony A100 (1st), Pentax K10D (2nd), Oly E510 (3rd). I based this list on reading only. Then came time to head to the store and hold them. The K10D felt much better than the other two. It felt solid. So into Pentax land I went unbiased. I only chose those because having Shake Reduction was important to me and even the Nikon and Canon kit lens did not have it at the time.

I have owned the K20D with battery grip now for over four years. I prefer its use with grip versus without. I bought a K5 a few months ago. From all the reading I did not think I would need a battery grip. Wrong, I needed the grip so I bought the Pentax brand grip and extra Pentax brand battery. Made my K5 much more expensive. I could have just bought a K5IIs and waited a couple weeks and get the grip. But I am very happy and have no problems with my K5.

Now go figure. I still prefer the ergonomics and feel in my hand of the K20D and grip versus the K5 and grip. So all these experts where really and truly wrong.

Remember its how does it feel and work in your hands. Are your fingers, wrist, and all the same size, strength as mine? We both have exact hands? Its all about selling the newest cameras. The newest will always be better than the oldest even in reviews. Its all about sales and...

I believe we are once again at point in dSLR technology that you really overall just can't lose. Even with Pentax. Just pick the one that feels best in your hands and that you like for whatever reasons you like it. Pixel peeping IQ is...

I must admit its hard to find a Pentax and hold it. If you have never really held a K10D or K20D, don't judge them. They are superb in my hands. As Nikon feels in yours.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
Don't do that Re: D7100 vs. Pentax K5II-s tests....

JPEG conversion done by cameras are not good indicators of performance.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads