Term project - Shooting the sky with the Sony NEX7

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions
ZhanMInG12
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Term project - Shooting the sky with the Sony NEX7
Mar 23, 2013

Desperately needs ordering, descriptions and a title for the project Some of these also need a retouch to get the color straight, me being rather careless in pre-post-editing.

I'm trying to establish the sky as the theme but with a bit of foreground, just to keep viewers in context.

First large size prints just came out this weekend

-- hide signature --

too lazy for DSLRs:-)

ZhanMInG12's gear list:ZhanMInG12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Term project - Shooting the sky with the Sony NEX7
In reply to ZhanMInG12, Mar 24, 2013

Shooting the sky in a landscape image is rather broad.  Kinda like saying your portraits will include a subject. You provided no guidelines for this assignment.

One observation - less  is more, and a portfolio may not need so many images, but that goes back to my first comments.

I would assume you have been getting direction from the teacher?  I am not a big fan of silhouettes and prefer images like #7.  Maybe provide more detail in your foregrounds.

-- hide signature --
 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZhanMInG12
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, Mar 24, 2013

RonFrank wrote:

Shooting the sky in a landscape image is rather broad. Kinda like saying your portraits will include a subject. You provided no guidelines for this assignment.

One observation - less is more, and a portfolio may not need so many images, but that goes back to my first comments.

I would assume you have been getting direction from the teacher? I am not a big fan of silhouettes and prefer images like #7. Maybe provide more detail in your foregrounds.

-- hide signature --

No, but I am hoping to use only photos that discreetly show foreground to the extent of helping the viewer know where they are, but no more. I have been looking at similar works, but they generally go for the telephoto/medium format look, which is a bit confined for my taste.

I should have mentioned that this is a first draft, though Sorted of wanted to see how others thought about the topic.

About the silhouettes, you can see a LOT of details at 18*27, I made sure to expose for the darker areas, at web size and after going through DP galleries they're just meh.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148
Like?

May I suggest you try to shoot nothing but the clouds or the sky itself. No terrestrial objects at all ... That would make a nice concrete abstract set!

ZhanMInG12
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 24, 2013

I did look at similar works, but that isn't my type of work at all.

IMO the context is enjoyable when you see the images fully enlarged.

-- hide signature --

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148
Like?

If cloud pics are not your thing and you are a student, then maybe the teacher is up to something: to widen your horizon and learn he gave you this task.

Where your posted pics all fail is that the earthly, under the sky objects, the houses, trees etc are so bland and taken in such weak, head on, uninspiring  compositions that nobody will notice that your purpose was to shoot sky pics. So, get down on the ground maybe and shoot up a wall, up a rain pipe, up a street corner, a tree ....

You need to learn to widen your horizon of what is a photo, what makes one etc. So go swim with your fears (your "not my kind of pic ...") and produce images worth seeing. Good luck then.

ZhanMInG12
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 24, 2013

And one could argue that the views are natural to the normal person who does not try to see the sky from a different perspective

I don't see it as weak, just "friendly". Maybe less of a departure from tradition, but I want viewers to have a vague idea of where they are without truly knowing where they are. Some of these might be a bit betraying, but it depends on where you've lived.

I take these while doing normal, well-exposed scenery, and point the camera at another direction, but they are much less interesting.

-- hide signature --

truthsforme
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

ZhanMInG12 wrote:

And one could argue that the views are natural to the normal person who does not try to see the sky from a different perspective

I don't see it as weak, just "friendly". Maybe less of a departure from tradition, but I want viewers to have a vague idea of where they are without truly knowing where they are. Some of these might be a bit betraying, but it depends on where you've lived.

I take these while doing normal, well-exposed scenery, and point the camera at another direction, but they are much less interesting.

-- hide signature --

To your point, I actually was trying to guess where some of these were taken. The second photo looks like it was taken somewhere in the bronx. I recognize that building but I just don't remember where exactly. 3 Looks like the dome over at bronx community college. 5 is definitely the brooklyn bridge. 8 is inside bus, I'm guessing the bx12 because the background looks like somewhere close to orchard beach. I may be wrong about all of these but I believe that's what you were trying to achieve =]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads